Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need advice on mobile phones/push-to-talk

Buddha

I was all set to ditch Alltel and move to Nextel so the wife and I can have walkie-talkie phones when I found out that Nextel will not roam in analog -- something I need when I'm out in the sticks. Now my only options are to go with Alltel or Sprint's push-to-talk phones. Does anyone have experience with either of them? I can't find a good current review anywhere on the services and have heard that push-to-talk might have delays and poorer sound quality than the Nextel walkie-talkies.

Thoughts???

I was all set to ditch Alltel and move to Nextel so the wife and I can have walkie-talkie phones when I found out that Nextel will not roam in analog -- something I need when I'm out in the sticks. Now my only options are to go with Alltel or Sprint's push-to-talk phones. Does anyone have experience with either of them? I can't find a good current review anywhere on the services and have heard that push-to-talk might have delays and poorer sound quality than the Nextel walkie-talkies.

Thoughts???

My brother-in-law works for Nextel (now Sprint) and I was talking to him about the difference in the push to talk features. He indicated that there is a major difference between the two, and what you heard is correct: on the Sprint phones there is a delay from when you push to when you can talk and the sound quality is poorer. They are completely different technologies.

Archived