Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensing the Giants

Daanie

I think the Skins D will pretty much contain Barber...

Shockey and Burress concern me...

Last year Shockey torched us...

Burress may be the best free agent pick up of

the year...he's really helped open the G offense...

Im thinking Springs will be covering Burress mano-a-mano...

quite a matchup...

Hope to dominate... :applause:

Yeah, Shockey is the one I fear. He is the X factor. Plax too, but I think Sean Taylor is going to ring his bell a few times and take him out of the game (mentally, not physically).

Tiki is a threat, too!

I just think this is going to be a really good match up. I am excited to see it.

Alright bro, lay down the hooch for a minute. Where you gettin' your info??? :doh:

In game 1, Shockey had 5 catches for 36 yards.

In game 2, Shockey had 3 catches for 23 yards.

Yeah, he really torched the bejesus out of us, huh! :rolleyes:

Our defense had Shockey on lockdown. This year it might be different, because Burress is back there. But last year we shut Shockey down.

The hear that we had Trotter, I believe Shockey has tourched us, but other then that, we have contained him quite well.

I think Tiki will get his yards if they dont abandon the run. He will go for 1 yard, 0 yard, 3 yard, 1 yard, all game, then he will probably bust one for 40. It will be like the S. Alexander game.

Our front 4 has to get pressure on Eli. I dont care how good our Corners are, if Eli has time to throw, especially Plexico, will get open. CB's can only lock on thier man for so long.

It's going to be a great game!

The hear that we had Trotter, I believe Shockey has tourched us, but other then that, we have contained him quite well.

Year 2 of Trotter (2003) Shockey did nothing - 5 catches for 65 yards and 0 catches in the second game.

In 2002, Shockey had 11 catches for 111 yards in the first game, and 5 for 89 in the second game.

But in reality, none of that matters; what does matter is what Shockey did against Gregg Williams and company. Which is absolutely nothing.

Shockey is currently better than Sellers and "Cooley" as they all have TE stats..

Who would you fear more: A man that catches the ball on occasion for yardage on a Defense that doesnt give up Air ...

Or a man that catches the ball and scores almost each and every time? Sellers.. or Cooley sliding past a block and getting almost as much yardage/td's as Shockey...

More weapons means you own the air... if you own the air it allows you to own the ground... which by the way we already rule there also...

There is only ONE thing that will allow the Giants to win.. and that is the Redskins. That is it. thats all you can hope for as an opposing team.

From what I've heard on the field is there are no Atheists opposite the Skins....

Shockey is currently better than Sellers and "Cooley" as they all have TE stats..

Who would you fear more: A man that catches the ball on occasion for yardage on a Defense that doesnt give up Air ...

Or a man that catches the ball and scores almost each and every time? Sellers.. or Cooley sliding past a block and getting almost as much yardage/td's as Shockey...

More weapons means you own the air... if you own the air it allows you to own the ground... which by the way we already rule there also...

There is only ONE thing that will allow the Giants to win.. and that is the Redskins. That is it. thats all you can hope for as an opposing team.

From what I've heard on the field is there are no Atheists opposite the Skins....

Would I rather have Shockey then Cooley/Sellers.

Yes.

Would I rather have Shockey then Cooley/Sellers.

Yes.

:banhim:

What??? No way in hell would I want that ****y, me-first sonuva**** on my team. I'll take Chris "epitome of a team player" Cooley, 3rd round STEAL and just as capable of trucking somebody over Shockey ANY day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Are you serious? Care to explain WHY ON EARTH you would want that SOB on the Skins over Cooley and Sellers? I mean, Sellers is only a touchdown machine, and Cooley has one of the best pairs of hands in the NFL...I mean, other than that, what do they have? Oh yeah, they are team players, and the epitome of a Redskin.

What??? No way in hell would I want that ****y, me-first sonuva**** on my team. I'll take Chris "epitome of a team player" Cooley, 3rd round STEAL and just as capable of trucking somebody over Shockey ANY day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Are you serious? Care to explain WHY ON EARTH you would want that SOB on the Skins over Cooley and Sellers? I mean, Sellers is only a touchdown machine, and Cooley has one of the best pairs of hands in the NFL...I mean, other than that, what do they have? Oh yeah, they are team players, and the epitome of a Redskin.

Most great recievers in NFL history was Me-first players. Rice was, Irvin was. Even last year, Marvin Harrison got upset that he weasnt getting the ball enough, and went to Peyton about it. So Shockey me-first attitude doesnt bother me.

Shockey has really grown as a player and maturity wise. You dont think if he played for a Joe Gibbs coached team, he would do whatever Joe ask of him. Of course he would. After the game against the Broncos, they where asking him about Toomers TD. He expressed over how happy he was for Toomer, calling him GOAT. The greatest of all time for the Giants.

Sellers a TD machine? you must be kidding. 10 TD's in the last 8 years. I think your going a little overboard with that statement. Its not like he gets downt he field or anything like that. MOST of them are inside the 5 yard line, play action fakes for TD's.

Cooley is good for us. He does have great hands but I dont know how you can say that he has one of the best hands in football haha. I guess you sat there and compared him to every wideout and TE in football. Cooley doesnt have the greatest of speed either. Don't get me wrong. I love Cooley, I think he is a hard nosed player that can do what Gibbs wants to do in his offence, I just believe Shockey is more dimensional.

Shokey is bigger (6-5) and a lot faster, being able to stretch the field more. His hands was questioned in the past, but they gotten better. He plays with a lot of emotion, with a lot of heart which gets him in trouble sometimes, but the same with LaVar when he first came up. I think overall he is a better TE compared to the 2 we have.

This season

Shockey

424 yards, 3 TD's and 25 catches, long being of 59 yards

Cooley

299 yards, 2 TD's and 25 catches, long being of 32 yards

just to throw in Sellers

29 yards, 4 TD's and 5 catches, long being of 19 yards

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting those butterflies in my stomach.

This is definitely a big game. a Statement game.

Could be like the Dallas game, could be like Seattle Game. Either way I know our team, under Coach Gibbs will not quit fighting.

HTTR!!!!!!

their O can't do much if ours is on the field all the time!

i totally agree

the giants offense has been averaging round 26 minutes time of possession per game,which shows their defense is having a few problems more than the giants ability to score quickly

our 2nd ranked offense has the ability to ball control 35mins + against the 31st ranked defense the giants have

Alright bro, lay down the hooch for a minute. Where you gettin' your info??? :doh:

In game 1, Shockey had 5 catches for 36 yards.

In game 2, Shockey had 3 catches for 23 yards.

Yeah, he really torched the bejesus out of us, huh! :rolleyes:

Our defense had Shockey on lockdown. This year it might be different, because Burress is back there. But last year we shut Shockey down.

Remember that play where Taylor batted down a pass that looked like a sure catch for Shockey. Awesome play.

I think the Skins D will pretty much contain Barber...

Shockey and Burress concern me...

Burress may be the best free agent pick up of

the year...he's really helped open the G offense...

Im thinking Springs will be covering Burress mano-a-mano...

quite a matchup...

Hope to dominate... :applause:

Plax is injured (shoulder) and will be a game time decision. I'm thinking Tiki Barber may be a bit more of a problem than usual b/c the Skins have banged up DT's and Tiki will run between the tackles.

A good match-up to watch will be Taylor & Shockey.

But in reality, none of that matters; what does matter is what Shockey did against Gregg Williams and company. Which is absolutely nothing.

In fairness, Shockey was held in to block most of the time last year b/c of the Giants crappy oline. The Cowboys now have Witten in the same boat.

To stop the Giants offense you have to contain Barber he is the true X factor.

Be aware of where he lines up every down whether it in the backfield, or the slot, and out wide. To shut down Barber we have to be aware of the inside handoffs, draws, and delayed screens. It is absolutely important for us to make the Giants one deminsional (which is what we do best) at stopping the run.

In order to win the game we have to win the time of possision game keeping the Gints offense off the field which in turn will take the crowd away. also to not have any game changing turnovers (protect the ball).

Defesnsing the giants...

First off, I dont think we will have much problem with their passing game. We have shut down passing games this year, and add to that how much Williams is gonna bring against the very bright eyed Eli Manning, the Giants will have to do it on the ground.

But the redskins are good at stopping the run. Dont let the numbers fool you, the only reason there have been a lot of yards against the D this year is the long runs(like Gore for 80 yards against 3rd stringers). Yes, the giants may break a long run during the game for a TD, but outside of that they will get shut down. 7 points isnt enough to win with the 31st defense in the league. SO Tiki will be shut down almost all game and break one long run. The skins just need to play their normal solid run D and do what they do on pass D.

Its stuff like this that makes posts on this board like "I just went to the Giants board and they were spewing a bunch of nonsense, you go there and your iq drops 100 points" look ridiculous.

Ask 32 GMs in the NFL if theyd want Chris Cooley or Jeremy Shockey and all 32 are taking the guy who has the best numbers in NFL history at his position through his first 45 starts.

Its stuff like this that makes posts on this board like "I just went to the Giants board and they were spewing a bunch of nonsense, you go there and your iq drops 100 points" look ridiculous.

Ask 32 GMs in the NFL if theyd want Chris Cooley or Jeremy Shockey and all 32 are taking the guy who has the best numbers in NFL history at his position through his first 45 starts.

I love Cooley and wish him to stay with the Skins his whole career. His blocking has increased exponentially this year, and his catching ability has always been there. He's not fast or explosive, but he's strong, durable, has great heart, and will pick up yards after the catch. He is becoming more and more of a steal for the Skins as a 3rd round draft pick.

But let's not get carried away, Shockey is talented in more dimensions. Sometimes I believe that Cooley breaks off some of his plays because teams don't account for him as much as they do Moss or Portis.

You HAVE to account for Shockey at ALL times. The guy will make a play in traffic, has great ball awareness, has great speed and agility for a man his size, and he pounds into the defender with a large amount of force after he makes the catch. The two Miami TEs, Shockey and supposedly Kellen Winslow Jr., have a lot of potential to be as great as Gonzalez was in his prime.

Having said that, good thing we have a safety by the name of Sean Taylor who has all the same attributes if not more to cover Shockey. :silly:

And yes I would rather have Sean Taylor and Chris Cooley over all the Jeremy Shockeys and Kellen Winslow Jr.'s in the world.

im really not too worried about their offense. i dont think they match up that great against some of the athletic weapons we have on d (sean taylor marcus washington lavar shawn springs, etc.) shockey worries me more than anyone, but marcus washington did an awesome job against tony gonzalez 2 weeks back. i don't think burress will get much at all with sean taylor comin over to help. they'll probably have a couple good drives but our defense should be able to control the tempo and most of the game. we will definitely win the time of posession battle again. this is our game for the taking. do it up skins.

Archived