Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giant 56-Pound Mushroom Found In Missouri

steveo21

Fungus Is Likely North America's Largest Ever Found

POSTED: 1:57 pm EDT October 27, 2005

UPDATED: 2:09 pm EDT October 27, 2005

A 56-pound mushroom found on a tree in Missouri is likely the largest ever found in North America, according to a report.

#

Ty Whitmore found the giant fungus in Maysville, near Kansas City.

Ty Whitmore found the giant fungus in Maysville, near Kansas City this week.

"I was out there cutting down some trees and I noticed something out about a 100 yards in front of me," Whitmore said. "I was wondering what it was. And ah, I end up getting curious and walking down the creek and I was like, 'Oh my God, it's like a huge mushroom.'"

After showing the 3-foot wide mushroom, professors from around the country have told him it is the largest ever found on the continent.

"I took it in and weighed it and it ended up weighing like 56 pounds and I thought, well this is pretty big," Whitmore said. "So, I started calling around and the next thing I know I got professors from Florida calling me and from Wisconsin telling me this is like a world-record mushroom."

He said someone in Wisconsin offered him $50,000 for it.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

http://www.local6.com/news/5190145/detail.html

5190126_200X150.jpg

I found a mushroom about half that size when I was about 10. I was riding in the car with my grandfather, and I saw it out the window in a field. He stopped and we got it. It was about 2 ft in diameter, but it only weighed something like 20 lbs. I have pictures of it in Pennsylvania at their house, next time I go there, I'll scan it and post it :)

I found a mushroom about half that size when I was about 10. I was riding in the car with my grandfather, and I saw it out the window in a field. He stopped and we got it. It was about 2 ft in diameter, but it only weighed something like 20 lbs. I have pictures of it in Pennsylvania at their house, next time I go there, I'll scan it and post it :)

Oh Chom, please do post pics from Japan if you have them, I know you were out there the past few days

And how about Marcus Vick tonight? 22/28, 280 yards, 1 TD ;)

Hope the east was great

Archived