Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Exactly how big is this game to you?

LiveStrongSkins

Actually, I think this is the biggest game so far. IF we win this game, we prove we are for real. The 2 hard opponents we have had.... yeah we played well, but we DID lose

We have had 4 hard opponents (Dallas, Seattle, Denver and Kansas City) we won 2 out of those 4 games, you are acting like we have had an easy schedule so far this year until those two games... we havent:gaintsuck

This is definately the biggest game of the season for us. Dallas was the sweetest win for sure, but it wasn't a big game. We hadn't established ourselves as a possible contender. (we were still flying beneath the radar) Now teams know what we can do and with each passing game the next one is that more important. This is the biggest game of the season. If we win, we're 2nd in the division behind philly and then next week will be the biggest game of the season because it will be for 1st in the division, then win or lose the game against tampa will be the biggest game, because we would then have a realistic shot at a non wildcard spot in the playoffs.

Woah there, Cowb... eh, dude (I won't insult you like THAT). I love the way you think, but let's take it one game at a time. And by the way, who's saying Phili wins this week? This very well maybe the game for the #1 spot in our division! :cheers: :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Although I like to be a little cautious since the season is long and we are not yet at the half way point, this is a statement game. For being early in the season, this game is huge. I think we will be very physical w/ the Gmen on both sides of the ball and come away with a W. Can't wait...

Generally, as I recall, a contending Gibbs I team would be in the running through October, pickup in November and jockey for playoff position with an excellent record in December.

A loss here would not knock the team out of the running, but being tied for first in the division going into November would be really nice. :mmm:

Divisionally, back then..... the Cards seemed to be the only "patsies" for the Skins, but even those games could be nail biters.... Philly, Dallas, NY would always cause fits.

During the "heady days" of Gibbs I (81-92) the NFC Champ was either the 49rs or a team from the NFC east........and those '85 Bears.

The Superbowl was always won by the NFC...... except for that one ugly loss by the Skins to the Raiders..... :rolleyes:

The year that the Skin's lost the Bowl they were riding a 9 game winning streak going into the playoffs, blew out the Vikes (Riggo's standing ovation game, I believe))... got-by the up and coming 49rs.... then :doh:

they may have been a little too ****y :1stplace: and "over-indulged" :cheers: a bit.... prior to going up against the underdog Raiders

...hence the extra emphasis on "humility" that Gibbs preaches now (and back then too).

Actually, the Vikes blowout was the year before in 82. The playoffs leading up to the loss to the Raiders featured a 51-7 destruction of the Rams and a nail-biter against San Fran. Still have very, very fond memories of that Rams game.

Generally, as I recall, a contending Gibbs I team would be in the running through October, pickup in November and jockey for playoff position with an excellent record in December.

A loss here would not knock the team out of the running, but being tied for first in the division going into November would be really nice. :mmm:

Divisionally, back then..... the Cards seemed to be the only "patsies" for the Skins, but even those games could be nail biters.... Philly, Dallas, NY would always cause fits.

During the "heady days" of Gibbs I (81-92) the NFC Champ was either the 49rs or a team from the NFC east........and those '85 Bears.

The Superbowl was always won by the NFC...... except for that one ugly loss by the Skins to the Raiders..... :rolleyes:

The year that the Skin's lost the Bowl they were riding a 9 game winning streak going into the playoffs, blew out the Vikes (Riggo's standing ovation game, I believe))... got-by the up and coming 49rs.... then :doh:

they may have been a little too ****y :1stplace: and "over-indulged" :cheers: a bit.... prior to going up against the underdog Raiders

...hence the extra emphasis on "humility" that Gibbs preaches now (and back then too).

This game is huge to me - winning it would represent the return of skins and Joe Gibbs to the big leagues again. We have a ways to go, but a huge chunk of the things the skins need to accomplish would be represented by a win against the Giants.

As for respect, I could care less. I think the skins weren't respected in the first Gibbs era and they'll never respect us now. Oh sure, some people will, but most think the skins are a bunch of pretenders to the throne - that we aren't a real football team like the Patriots, Cowboys or Broncos, etc.

I think the biggest plus of winning this game would be the skins gaining a huge amount of confidence and a winning attitude going into the Philly game. I think winning against the Giants is the key to us winning against Philly. Make no mistake, neither team is going to win in a walk - this is going to be war. Barring turnovers, I think we can win it. The margin is just to close against the giants for us to survive any major mistakes.

As many have been writing, whoever wins this game will be the team to beat in the NFC east

It's such a scary statement for being so early in the season, but whats even more scary is that its almost impossible to argue against. I mean, both teams have made such dramatic change from last season that to pit them against one another in only week 8 of the season could be a HUGE confidence-booster for whoever wins. It will be a tough loss to come off for whoever loses this game. The NFC East is so close right now, and predicted to stay as close through the rest of the season, that pretty much any divisional game will have a huge impact on the final standings. This game however, compared to the rest, is the first real test of any of the NFC East teams. It's the first divisional game where both teams seem to be peaking in performance.

ITS FUN TIME!

This is an absolutely huge game for me--for starters, I'll be in the stands with my cousin and uncle, both die hard Giants fans. And obviously, if we win this division game, on the road, that will give us a 2-0 division record with both wins coming on the road, which will certainly give us confidence going into the Philly game.

In fact, this is one of the biggest games we've had in a long, long time. It's a division game that actually means something, can you believe that? It's week 8 (or nine, whatever) and we should be hitting our mid-season stride. I'd love to see us come out and pick up where we left us last week, which is to say, total domination. Now, I know we are playing a talented Giants team, but I'm not sold on them just yet. Bill Simmons claims that we won games we should have lost, well, the same holds true for the Giants last week. The Giants did not win that game so much as the Broncos lost it by getting way too conservative when they got the ball back. I give Eli credit for engineering a great drive at the end, but I just don't see it happening against us. I think he'll have memories of last year and he will be rattled. If it isn't, well kudos to the Giants for drafting a franchise QB, I hope we did the same thing.

Regardless, it's a huge game, and I can't wait to see it live!!!!

This game is super important because losing this week means we have lost three out of the last four games. I hate the g-girls and they seem to be weaker than the fegals, so if we lose to the g-girls its not likely we beat the fegals who we havent beat in forever(and dont say we will at home because we havent against the eagles in recent times) Being 4-4 after the fegals game means we probably dont go to the playoffs and this team is going to the playoffs, it must go to the playoffs.

So when im asked how big is this game its VERY BIG to me.

Friggin' huge. Next week versus the Beagles will be as well. Divsion opponents need to be beat. It's also a matter of truly becoming the team our stats indicate and commanding respect based on record, coaching, and not just stats.

Being cynical, I'm still not sure the Skins have self actualized yet.

Give us the W for the next two weeks, and I will be beyond ecstatic. At that point, we will be be the real deal.

:logo:

I still think that the MNF game against the Cowgirls was the biggest game of the season. In my opinion that game was the turning point for the Redskins. Players seamed different after that game. They all have the sparkle in their eye. To them and Gibbs it was like winning the Super Bowl. It gave new life to this team. Saying that, this is now our next biggest game and the following week against the Eagles will be just as important. If we can start off at 3-0 in the division we will have the upper hand for the NFC East title. And if that happens I feel sorry for the other teams if we get home field advantage in the playoffs. It will be like old times again.

Huge game buddy very huge I tell you if you told me early in the year that the Giants and Skins would be playing a game that meant something I wouldn't know what to say I agree with posters that say even though this game is very important it doesn't exactly put you in the drivers seat but !!! it certainly helps going 2-0 against division foes and that's what you want. To answer your question it's a huge game for the Skins maybe it quiet some more nay sayers it still amazes me that this team still not quite getting the respect they really deserve everyone is on Eli and the Giants let them continue be on the Giants bandwagon.

This would be a huge win, but not necessarily a crippling loss, for home/away reasons. This is a more important game for the Giants than it is for the Redskins, who can always make up a loss with a win at Landover later this season.

But should the Redskins win, they would be 5-2, 2-0 in division, 2-0 on the road in the division, and at least in a two-way tie for first heading into the Eagles game next week. So, how important this game is really depends on the outcome.

Same here man. I'm 18. I was raised a Redskins fan but I can't recall many games before 1995 or so. The first Skins game I attended was the Lions wildcard game. Most important moment since I can remember. We all know what happened after that. I would say the guys 21 or so and under have a special desire for us to win different than the older guys. Even though the older guys still want it just as much since they have been waiting almost 15 years. Anyway, we need this game.... I want to go to some playoff games like I did in 1999 and go to a Super Bowl like my grandfather in 1991. The only thing that's gonna stop the Skins is the Skins, we can do it.

Livestrong, this sir is a great thread.

I think this game is very important and would be a statement game for the franchise. The Giants are playing for the same thing that the Redskins are, which is #1 in the division. I have been talking about recently that the team that gets the swagger first will win this division. It is currently up in the air. The Cowboys owned Philly, the Redskins played to the end to beat Dallas, the Giants played to the end against the Chargers. There is very little wiggle room in the NFC East. These games are all vital to the overall success of this team. I have a feeling after reading so many chats with the players and coaches that they all realize it too, and everyone is one the same page.

I dont think that the Redskins can lose this game unless they play sloppy football. The Giants although could play a great game and still lose.

If the Redskins win this game, they will have that swagger when the Eagles come to town and there will be no doubt that they will make it to the playoffs after they put a lickin' on the Eagles.

Again, great thread.

Archived