Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are we racist if we....

H-O-G

Ok, have you ever sat down and thought about this for a second...

African American's have their own "black only" station (BET), they have "Black only" colleges/football. "black" novels...etc

What if someone of the white race opened a "White only" college with a "white only football team", people would be outraged and consider it racist. Why is our society so currupt?

~I thought this would be an interesting discussion

Honestly, what are you talking about?

Historical black colleges were created because blacks weren't allowed into all of the white only institutions. They are not black only and in recent years white players have played prominent roles on the Howard (among other) black football teams.

As far as black only literature--what are you talking about? Are there books in particular that you think are "black only"? If so, I'd like to see them.

There are lots of "white only" schools out there. Most of them are located in the Northeast of the US. They are self-segregated though, just like the "black-only" colleges.

I think you are just way off base here, notwithstanding whatever good intentions you might have had.

Honestly, what are you talking about?

Historical black colleges were created because blacks weren't allowed into all of the white only institutions. They are not black only and in recent years white players have played prominent roles on the Howard (among other) black football teams.

As far as black only literature--what are you talking about? Are there books in particular that you think are "black only"? If so, I'd like to see them.

There are lots of "white only" schools out there. Most of them are located in the Northeast of the US. They are self-segregated though, just like the "black-only" colleges.

I think you are just way off base here, notwithstanding whatever good intentions you might have had.

couldnt agree more iheartskins

paybacks are hell whitey!!!!!

it wasnt that long ago - dont forget!!!! :doh:

I think part of the reason is that all minorities single themselves out for special treatment due to history and demand special treatment based on their minority status.

To me, this is an artifact from history, when groups were being discriminated against. I don't think it's happening as much, and if it does it's probably equal (ie white males are being discriminated against just as much). Hopefully in the next generation there won't be any more problems like this, as I think people in the younger generation aren't as racist... I'm more likely to joke about it more than anything, and that will be passed down to our children. Also I think the rate of children from mixed races is on the rise.

I'm afaid that to say 'white only' schools exist in the Northeast is a stereotype statement. This is where I feel some of the racial arguments get blurred with the socioeconomic arguments. Many statements group every 'white' person within the same realm. This is an aberration of the truth. I've always defended the fact that many whites of lower economic status get the same treatments as blacks. They would be denied just as quickly by the old boys network as blacks.

I really enjoy historical peices that graph the poorer 'white' persons history and quite clearly displays them being enslaved through unjust governmental models as African Americans. The history of Europe is filled with slavery type scenerios that persisted for generations. And, do you think those of the serf class have many descendants attending Ivy Leagues- DOUBT IT.

There is almost an advantage to having your history be so prevalent in its enslavement, because there are many cultures throughout history who will never see retributions. America is the fairest country of all time, it's a shame that so many focus on its faults.

"Everything that is wrong with America can be fixed with everything that is right with it"- W. J. Clinton

Let's not forget there are many self segregated black schools in the Northeast too. Not the traditional black colleges either. Schools which have a population farly skewed from the general population, pretty interesting...

Exactly what I'm talking about...

I'm afaid that to say 'white only' schools exist in the Northeast is a stereotype statement.

Well then you didn't go to prep/boarding school in the Northeast. I went to a private school with no diversity and the schools my siblings went to, St. Pauls, St. Georges, Salsbury, and Princeton Day School, were only marginally better. The same is true of Colgate where I went as an undergraduate where there were very few minority students. And the likes of Hamilton College, etc. are very similar. In any case, I'm not talking about the Ivy Leagues, I'm talking about other liberal arts schools in the Northeast and all of the boarding schools. The Ivy Leagues are very diverse--Yale to the extent that many legacy students can no longer get in on their parents/relatives coattails alone (which, I think is a very, very good thing).

Heck, look at University of the South. Sewanee is a pretty self segregating school too.

And I'm not saying that any of these places are intentionally excluding anyone (any longer)--it's just the way they have evovlved. Perhaps the legacy of the exclusions (of Jews, blacks, and all other minorities) is what keeps them all (or mostly) white.

This is where I feel some of the racial arguments get blurred with the socioeconomic arguments. Many statements group every 'white' person within the same realm. This is an aberration of the truth. I've always defended the fact that many whites of lower economic status get the same treatments as blacks. They would be denied just as quickly by the old boys network as blacks.

Ah, but there's no black version of the Good Old Boy network--which I should note has changed hugely in the last 40 years. There is much less of a Good Old Boy network than there once was. I know because 15-20 years ago, it would have guaranteed me a job coming out of school. :)

America is the fairest country of all time, it's a shame that so many focus on its faults.

Fine, but it's not as fair as it should be.

Let's not forget there are many self segregated black schools in the Northeast too. Not the traditional black colleges either. Schools which have a population farly skewed from the general population, pretty interesting...

What school(s) are you thinking of specifically?

This is stupid

Let's see MTV, VH1, GAC, etc and on MTV the reality shows are lily white though on the real world the blacks are either thuggish, gay or trying to date out of their race.

Well the networks do air the token all black college championship game if it features Grambling vs Southern U.

The Black Colleges do have minority scholarships for non blacks so Biff and Buffy can attend.

Self segragated?

Hmm yet the White colleges can just use the astronomically high tuition cost to deter blacks from trying to enter those northeast schools

Heart,

I agree with yuor retort, basically because it highlites my issue with class status.

How many poor white people were attending your boarding schools? There is NO poor white boys network either. And, we can still work to make America fair, that's the genius of our country. The possiblity exists in its framework.

What school(s) are you thinking of specifically?

For one, the LIBERAL ARTS school I graduated from ( I will choose not to mention it, but it does exist) and two a prominent school in New Jersy that is also very skewed when it comes to it's graduate programs.

Just research it, you will see it.

Heart,

I agree with yuor retort, basically because it highlites my issue with class status.

How many poor white people were attending your boarding schools?

Some, not many, but that's the great thing about a meritocracy with financial aid.

There is NO poor white boys network either.

I thought that's what the Blue Collar Comedy Tour was all about. I kid, I kid. :)

And, we can still work to make America fair, that's the genius of our country. The possiblity exists in its framework.

Absolutely.

Let's see MTV, VH1, GAC, etc and on MTV the reality shows are lily white though on the real world the blacks are either thuggish, gay or trying to date out of their race.

And what would be wrong with being thuggish, gay, or trying to date out of your race?

Heart,

How many poor white people were attending your boarding schools? There is NO poor white boys network either. And, we can still work to make America fair, that's the genius of our country. The possiblity exists in its framework.

That's great, but not everyone is as willing to ignore history as you are. It's easy to say "hey guys let's move past it" when the wounds were never yours to begin with.

The racial history of this country is RECENT, while we are moving in the right direction the thought of a culture simply forgetting it or ignoring it so soon is foolish. America is fair TODAY and while the structure is in place for things to get better, wounds heal with time not well wishes.

Also the argument that poor people never had it great either is weak. Poor Germans didn't get to enjoy all the fun of upper crust Nazi's but that doesn't mean they can relate to Jews does it?

Navy Dave, you know why the air that token championship on for instance ESPN 2 or BET? Because there is not much interest in players who generally aren't that very good. That's why there is no interest. Don't give me the token crap.

Now, if you had an all black Virginia Tech team against say a Miami team, the ratings would be outrageous because the talent is so much better.

Not buying that comment.

Right, meritocracy and finacial aid...

I didn't want to bring this up, but... If a white student and a black student had similar great resumes for a boarding school, but the white student simply edged him in all categories by a marginal amount, than there is the problem of reverse discrimination.

The black student will get advantages in most cases b/c there may be a curve adjusting for the 'inadequate educational setting' i.e Abbott school districts in NJ. So, if a boarding school director is feeling perticularly massochistic, he will accept the black student so he doesn't get labeled as racist...no?

I think he does and I think this bothers most people. The more qualified white student gets shunned here because his current poverty isn't enough to match the blacks history of poverty.

This is a hypothetical, but please recognize it exists and is not fair. Thus, placing lower socioeconomic whites at a greater disadvantage.

And what would be wrong with being thuggish, gay, or trying to date out of your race?

Everything

Do you really need an explanation?

Hmm thuggish -- violent behaviour being glorified is not a good thing though it will keep prison guards employed

Gay ................... nuff said but you can have a gay friend and play tennis as well as get opinion on drapes :rolleyes::D

dating out of your race... while that in itself isnt negative, the constant display on MTV sends a message to black children that they should grow up and look to "better" themselves with a blonde blue eyed babe.

what is called self hate.

Though I must admit I did do it( where da whyt wimmen at?) to p1ss off rednecks when in europe.

Someone once asked me "Why do we have Black History Month. What about white history month?" My reply was "That's the other 11 months of the year".

But you raise an interesting topic, even if the delivery wasn't exactly clear.

During a series of interviews (I think it was on ESPN), a number of black athletes were asked if they thought that, in general, black athletes had physically superior attributes to white athletes. I seem to remember that this was around the time that Jason Sehorn was noted as the only starting cornerback in the NFL who was white.

And many of the black athletes said yes, we do think we are superior. And while it might not be PC to say so, the numbers bear it out.

It occurred to me that there was no media-wide call to make these athletes apologize for saying what they said. As we all know, if any white person claimed any type of superiority over blacks in principle, there would be a monstrous uproar. Hell, if a white person, athlete or otherwise, said that he though blacks were better athletes (see Jimmy the Greek), he has to apologize publicly, and probably gets fired. Seems silly on the outset but there's a reason for that, much of which was touched on by iheart.

And the reason is: black people have been given the royal shaft by white people in this country for hundreds of years. If you don't think so then you are either indescribably ignorant, or so consumed with hate and fear that you can't see reality.

Slavery, Jim Crow laws, economic separation, segregation...all these things, and many more, were designed to keep people of color at a disadvantage. And while today's era is a racial renaissance compared to years past, these disadvantages are still quite prevalent because they are inexorably woven into the fabric of society. If you don't think so then you aren't paying attention.

So since black people have not been allowed to play the white man's reindeer games, they had to create their own TV stations, their own colleges, their own...everything, really. And it's been 100 times more difficult for them to succeed in doing so, because every deck is stacked against them, and their population base is not as large. There are plenty of fools out there who would love to point to Oprah and all the black musicians and athletes who have made it rich, and to be accurate, the opportunities for blacks in America have never been better. But there are countless legacies that are strictly the domain of the white man, particularly in business, and that doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon.

So black people get free passes to say and do stuff that would get us white folks in trouble, and its ok for them to have their own stuff, because white people never gave them much of anything.

Archived