Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Keep Novak?

Woofer

At this point in the season, with Hall's recent history of leg injuries, would you keep Novak or bring back Hall?

I'd keep Novak. He's reliable on FGs, has a good leg and, even though it was called back because of a penalty, he nailed a 54 yarder with room to spare.

His kickoffs are a little short, but that has not hurt us with the excellent coverage we've had so far this year.

Hall's leg injuries make me nervous.

Hall is reliable on FG's also and his field goals are alot higher also and don't get blocked as often as Novak's plus he's better on kickoffs. I'd like for us to find someway to keep both of them around. Hall just can't stay healthy enough and i'd hate to see Novak go to either Philly or Dallas cause you know they will pick him up if we let him go.

Right now at $4million hall has cost us about 1 million per muscle strain. He cannot be trusted to stay healthy. I hope somebody in the east signs him. And I hope he is as healthy for them as he has been for us.

It is time for Hall to write his book and open a bar...isn't that what former kickers do.

BTW I hear Chip Lohmiller is still in game shape and kicking in a semi pro league. I never remember chip pulling a hammy or a quad.

second one was penetration in the same spot and I noticed the 49ers loading up there too - between the LS and the LG

Hall kicks off better and can kick the long fgs...

Frost's short kicks just make me nervous - coverage has been good so far but to give some of the return men 20 yards for free in this league? not good

I think Novak's kickoff will get better. As I already stated, he is still a rookie. His blood is cold (meaning not getting nervous), AND he kicked the game winning extra point against the Cowboys.

That goes a long way with me! :laugh:

Hall is SOLID for us. Keep him. Release Novak... no question. Have you SEEN his kickoffs? They rarely go past the 15 yard line. I definitely don't blame Novak for the blocked field goals though. I'm no expert on technique or whether he kicks high enough. But I know the second block would have happened no matter who was kicking.

Everyone complains about Novaks kickoffs being short, sure i agree, but HALL ISNT MUCH BETTER, MOST OF HIS ARE SHORT TOO.

I would love to see how many touchbacks Hall has since he came here compared to how many of his kicks werent touchbacks, anyone got that stat(s)?

No doubt, Hall has a better leg when he's healthy. However, we haven't been able to rely on his health in recent years. The rookie, Novak, has already proven that he is an accurate kicker. None of his attempts have gone wide left or right, so far.

I'd have to say the wise choice is to let the unreliable high priced kicker go, and put a little faith in and develop the sure to be rising star of the future. Also, the rewards will be seen immediately in the salary cap.

I'd hate to go the other way and release the rookie and find out shortly after that Hall injures himself again. Then another team signs Novak and we lose both ways. That's the risk in keeping Hall. I believe it's wise to invest in the future, especially when you receive the bonus of saving money and creating more salary cap space at the same time.

Does anyone think this would be a debate if Novak didn't attend UMCP? Hall is a stronger-legged, more experienced, more accurate kicker. There really is no arguing those points. The knock on Hall is that he has had 2, count'em two injuries in his career. Unfortunately he has been injured in each of the past two years but that doesn't make him "injury-prone."

I like Novak, and I hope he gets a chance to play in the league, but he has a long way to go before he shows he's a better kicker than Hall. And he's a rookie. I want an experienced kicker back there when the game is on the line. His kicks seem to come out a little low and we need better performance on kick-offs. Novak had never kicked the ball very far on kickoffs (I watched him when he was at Maryland). If we're going to be a playoff team we need a good kicker. Hall is our best kicker.

i think they should do the same with hall as they did with arrington...let the backup play till they lose the spot. it also gives hall time to heal better, just like with arrington. He looked a lot faster and sharper than he did in preseason. However Novak has yet to "miss" a field goal, and yes he had two blocked but that blame falls on the linemen. Also if we cut Novak then either Philly or Dallas will scoop him up real fast and we dont want that. so in the end i say use hall for kickoffs and novak for field goals till novak loses the job.

Both blocks were Novaks fault go watch the tape. Thier was penatration but he basically kicked them helmet high he just has a low trajectory. I thought for sure he missed the 54yarder in Den i'll go back in look at it tommorow but it looked well short to me. I want to see Novak nail some clutch 45-50 yard fg's before I even think about releasing Hall.

Hall has made bigtime kicks in bigtime games. THE GUY HIT A 54YARDER AT THE BUZZER TO PUT THE JETS IN THE PLAYOFFS. He has made clutch kicks in the playoffs and has played in terrible cold weather conditions especially in the meadowlands with the swirling wind.

We are in the hunt for the playoffs we can't go with a rookie because he's made some 35-40yard fg's. I think the real reason for the lovefest is Maryland.

i like novak. i was extremely nervous about the kick in OT against the Seahawks, but he nailed it, and had so much energy in his celebration. it showed me that he wants to win, and wants to play for the redskins. so far he has been accurate, asside from a few rookie mistakes on kicking low. but hes only going to get better and i feel comfortable with him as our kicker.

i like hall too, but coming back from injuries makes me a little nervous. of course gibbs is right there in the midst of it, and whichever kicker he chooses, im behind him.

I would keep bot Novak and Hall if possible. Hall is too injury prone to take a chance on another team picking up Novak. The kicker I'd release is Frost. I haven't been impressed with him at all. He's lucky he gets a good bounce most of the time or he would be averaging around 30 yards per punt. Bring back Andy Groom please.

Archived