Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs says Griffin best DT he's ever coached..

Jizmaglobin

in the interview on todays Redskinstv.com.i'm wondering how everybody feels about that.having been a Redskins fan for close to 25 years the guy that comes to mind is Dave Butz,"The Tree Stump".in fact,he's one of the reasons i became a Skins fan to begin with.i'll never forget seeing him sittin on the bench with literally chunks of his helmet missing. :gaintsuck

He said DT, not DL. That's a huge difference. I would put Griffin against any past DT. :2cents:

I don't care if he did say DL, he isn't Dave Butz yet IMO. I'd like to hear the quote also because my guess is there was a qualifier in there somewhere like "He's the strongest or quickest." Griffin is darn good but he has to do it a few more years to be Dave Butz in my book.

I don't care if he did say DL, he isn't Dave Butz yet IMO. I'd like to hear the quote also because my guess is there was a qualifier in there somewhere like "He's the strongest or quickest." Griffin is darn good but he has to do it a few more years to be Dave Butz in my book.

I would say Grant and Butz.

in the interview on todays Redskinstv.com.i'm wondering how everybody feels about that.having been a Redskins fan for close to 25 years the guy that comes to mind is Dave Butz,"The Tree Stump".in fact,he's one of the reasons i became a Skins fan to begin with.i'll never forget seeing him sittin on the bench with literally chunks of his helmet missing. :gaintsuck

To be fair, Gibbs said that Cornelius is "in a class" with the best DT's that he's ever coached. So he's not saying that Cornelius is the best - just comparable.

Here's the link:

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=11830

Butz was the man. a legit 300 lber before than became fashionable. Heck his ankles probably weighed 25 lbs apiece. Never saw him have to tae a backwards step.

First of all, Gibbs didnt say Griffin was the best, he said one of the best.

Second of all, Griff is being underrated on this thread. He's been damn good for us, and hes certainly been "one of the best."

<Ed McMahon voice> "You are correct, sir!"

I'm a big Butz lover. Be careful now.

He said DT, not DL. That's a huge difference. I would put Griffin against any past DT. :2cents:

I think some of you guys don't understand. Just because I would "put Griffin against any past DT" doesn't mean I think Griffin is better. If I thought he was better, I would have said that Griffin is better than any past DT.

I stand by my statement, Griffin gets doubled just as much as Butz (watch the D-line instead of the QB some time). And Griffin does a great job. Butz had one dominent year '83, and 14 very good/great years. Griffin is very comparible, except the dominent year. ;)

Gibbs has always been big on praising his players to the public. And that is the only way I look at it, *praising players for the public & media* I don't take it litterally. I like Griffin, he has enough youth & potential to one day be the best. But Gibbs saying Griffin is the best DT he has coached is laughable, Gibbs has had some good ones and Dave Butz is top of that list.

I also think you cannot rule out the strategy factor. Why does Gibbs say this the week of the Giants game? Hmmmmm, I can think of a couple reasons... To take away from all the Antonio Pierce talk? (you got one of ours, well we got one of yours and he was a starter not a backup who played on your last superbowl team). To work Griffin up because he played in the great Strahan's shadow for so long? (hey forget Strahan he's almost 34, we got Griffin young & in his prime). Anyway I am sure there are other reasons too. Griffin has been great for us & deserves much credit (although probably not THAT much).

Griffin's best talent is that he makes the other guys around him much better.

The guys is a great teammate & never utters a bad word.

Why rain on his parade?

I know we could always use a few more sacks, but seriously,

have the 'Skins ever been better at run defense?

Archived