Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Good are the Redskins? Part II

skins fan1010

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

How Good are the Redskins II?

(links available at http://countertrey.blogspot.com/2005/10/how-good-are-redskins-ii.html)

Last week, I used the Indianapolis Colts as a benchmark. I compared the Redskins with the Colts because the Colts are considered the class of the NFL by several experts and “power” rankings. I update some data here.

Last Week:

Colts Offense: 10th

Skins Offense: 6th

Edge: Redskins

Colts Defense: 11th

Skins Defense: 5th

Now:

Colts Offense: 8th

Skins Offense: 2nd

Colts Defense: 6th

Skins Defense: 4th

Both teams improved, but the Redskins are still better statistically in offensive- and defensive-yards.

Critics will say that the Redskins just played the 49ers and that skews the numbers, but the Colts played the 49ers three weeks ago. And, the Colts also played the Rams, Texans, and Browns already, so four of their seven games have been against some pretty bad teams.

The Redskins have played a much tougher schedule, including three games against first-place teams --in the NFC North (Bears), NFC West (Seahawks), and AFC West (Broncos)--and one game against a second-place team in the AFC West (Chiefs). They also played a game against the team that began the week in first-place in the NFC East (Cowboys).

Interestingly, the Skins have only mustered a tenth-place ranking on CBS Sportsline. CBS has the Seahawks ahead of the Skins at ninth-place even though the Skins beat them. Meanwhile, ESPN has the Skins ranked fourteenth and the Seahawks fifth.

Okay, so let me get this straight. The Redskins have played, if not the toughest schedule in the NFL then one of the five toughest schedules in the NFL; their average combined ranking on offense and defense is 3 (second on offense and fourth on defense), which is best in the NFL and the next closest team's average is 5.5; and ESPN still ranks a team that the Skins beat (Seahawks), a team that is 30th in defense (Giants), a team with a 0.500 record (Patriots), and a team with a losing record (Chargers) ahead of the Skins? I guess this is why there is horse racing.

The Skins tough schedule continues this week. In their next three games they play the team tied for first in the NFC East (Giants), last year’s NFC Champion (Eagles), and the team in first-place in the NFC South (Bucs).

On the bright side: When the playoffs start, they will have been battle tested and that will help them win in the playoffs; playoff wins are more important than a subjective ranking.

posted by Counter Trey @ 6:15 PM 0 comments

I didnt realize the nice comparrisons to the Colts! Sweet

At the same time though those are yardage numbers and there are other ways of measuring performance. Personally, I put a lot more stock in points scored and points allowed, but either way we're better than we generally get credit for. Our 3rd-down play this year has been great on both sides of the ball almost across the board, and our big plays have skyrocketed on offense.

If the Redskins actually did make the playoffs, we'd have an advantage because we are used to playing close games. I remember reading an article about the Eagles, and they were talking about last year's Super Bowl. One of the things they mentioned was that the reason the Eagles hurry up offense wasn't that good was because they weren't used to playing from behind in a close game. If the Redskins do make the playoffs, and it turns into a close game, these close games we've had this season will help us because we know how to run the hurry up offense.

At the same time though those are yardage numbers and there are other ways of measuring performance. Personally, I put a lot more stock in points scored and points allowed, but either way we're better than we generally get credit for. Our 3rd-down play this year has been great on both sides of the ball almost across the board, and our big plays have skyrocketed on offense.

I agree about the importance of points. In my analysis last week, I showed that the Colts were doing a much better job of translating yards into points and that they were better at it because they were forcing more turnovers. You can check it out at:

www.countertrey.blogspot.com

I wouldn't say the Skins are better than the Colts right now, but I believe they could be better if they forced more turnovers. I think the Skins will do that now that LaVar has earned more time.

the media are just so used to the skins being mediocre they cant accept the fact that we will be 1 of the best teams in the nfl this year,they will continue underating us unless we win our next 3 against the giants eagles and buccs,we lose just 1 of those and it will be like told u so?!

all those years of spurrier and constant turnover has made them forget the fact that we now have a hall of famer coaching us and coach gibbs will soon make everyone realise that the skins are back to being 1 of the nfl's elite teams

I can see why the experts don't give the Redskins much credit because the "good" teams that we have beaten, we have gotten very lucky against them. We threw two prayers to Santana Moss against Dallas, and got lucky when seattle missed the field goal. However, I don't agree with the experts when they improve the rankings of a team like the Eagles after they beat the Chargers, because the Eagles also got very lucky when they blocked the field goal and ran it back for a TD. If the Redskins come out and beat the Giants and/or the Eagles in a convincing fashion, then we'll start seeing some credit given to the redskins. But until then, we still haven't proven much.

1 26th 9/11 @ Baltimore Ravens 24 - 7

2 8th 9/18 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS 10 - 3

3 28th 9/25 CLEVELAND BROWNS 13 - 6

4 24th 10/2 @ Tennessee Titans 31 - 10

5 31st 10/9 @ San Francisco 49ers 28 - 3

6 17th 10/17 ST. LOUIS RAMS 45 - 28

7 32nd 10/23 @ Houston Texans

Wow... Its a dream schedule so far...

They've actually played 5 of the worst teams this year... not too shabby

Archived