Extremeskins

2000 War Deaths Spark Protests

flyingtiger1013

http://www.nbc4.com/news/5178344/detail.html

Cindy Sheehan Plans Visit To Arlington Cemetery

POSTED: 6:56 am EDT October 26, 2005

UPDATED: 9:41 am EDT October 26, 2005

WASHINGTON --

Tuesday night, a group laid on the pavement in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to simulate those deaths.

Peace mom Cindy Sheehan said she hopes at least 2,000 people will attend the vigil this week.

Each person is supposed to wear a wrist bracelet with the name of a fallen soldier.

Sheehan also plans a visit to Arlington National Cemetery Wednesday morning, where she will visit the grave of a friend of her son.

Both young men were killed in Iraq.

Since the start of the war in March 2003, there have been 15,000 troops injured, in addition to the now 2,000 confirmed dead.

Sheehan said she is prepared to be arrested during the protest and she said if that happens, she'll come back the next day and do it again.

Demonstrators plan to continue to lay down in front of the White House and die symbolically the rest of the week in honor of the 2,000 service people killed in Iraq.
Enough of the symbolism, let's see some substance! If they really lay down and die then we'll have something. :doh:

Man its a good thing they werent there during the Civil, World war one, two or the Korean War

They would have been. The media just wasn't in its present form.

I can just imagine, shortly after D-day they would start airing spots on the nightly news and weekly special reports planting seeds of doubt. "Isn't the landing at Normandy good enough?" "Haven't enough died?" "Is finishing the job by driving all the way to Germany and toppling Hitler really necessary?"

I know I'm not the only one here disgusted by the thought of these ex-hippies, anarchists and assorted loons sitting around the last few weeks counting down the deaths for this nice round number to come up. These protests have been planned for weeks and they've been anticipating the big day for some time now. Do you figure they've got a big count down clock at MoveOn.org ticking away the dead soldiers? Yay! 2,000 dead! Time to protest again! Who's got the weed?

Protests are not celebrations. The deaths do not make people happy, they make people mad. Your post and sarges ubiquitous political cartoon are the moral equivalents of the accusations that bush jumped for joy on 9-11 so that he would be allowed to attack Iraq.

No one is excited about these things. Cindy Sheehan, for all her warts is a person who wants to save lives. It really is her number one priority, just as it is bushes number one priority too. They each have opposing beliefs of how to reach that, so conflict is natural.

Do you really believe that these deaths have made the hippies HAPPY? They hate war. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Protests are not celebrations. The deaths do not make people happy, they make people mad. Your post and sarges ubiquitous political cartoon are the moral equivalents of the accusations that bush jumped for joy on 9-11 so that he would be allowed to attack Iraq.

No one is excited about these things. Cindy Sheehan, for all her warts is a person who wants to save lives. It really is her number one priority, just as it is bushes number one priority too. They each have opposing beliefs of how to reach that, so conflict is natural.

Do you really believe that these deaths have made the hippies HAPPY? They hate war. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I do really delieve that some within their ranks would be disappointed if they didn't have this oppurtunity to protest. What is magical about 2000 KIA? It is difficult to understand because where have all these people been for the last 2 and a half years? Why don't they "protest" the London bombings? Why didn't they "protest" the bombings in Spain? Why don't these "hippies" protest when war is waged on us?

Why weren't you out marching and burning Al Quaeda flags when those things happened?

Or are double standards only for hippies?

You don't protest against insane killers. You protest when you think someone might actually care what you have to say. Nobody who did those bombings would care one bit if we were protesting them. It would accomplish nothing. These protests do put pressure on president bush and therefore make sense as a tactic.

Nobody in thier right minds "protested" the terrosist attacks you mention.

Why weren't you out marching and burning Al Quaeda flags when those things happened?

Or are double standards only for hippies?

You don't protest against insane killers. You protest when you think someone might actually care what you have to say. Nobody who did those bombings would care one bit if we were protesting them. It would accomplish nothing. These protests do put pressure on president bush and therefore make sense as a tactic.

Nobody in thier right minds "protested" the terrosist attacks you mention.

1. I was marching, through Afghanistan and Iraq. I think I even burned an Al Qaida flag, or was it a Taliban flag, yeah it was Taliban flag.

This protest will accomplish nothing more than letting the protesters feel good about "doing something". The likelihood that this protest have any effect on the re-deployment timeline is minimal at best. Do you think it will really alter the planning of the President?

Do these protests and the subsequent news coverage they recieve bother the troops who are forward deployed? Maybe not all, but alot.

Are they used by the "enemy" propoganda machine to further their own cause? Absolutely.

Perhaps there is a disconnect between what they are hoping to accomplish and what they actually do accomplish.

Well first, I applaud you for following through on your convictions, and I want to thank you for your service, which I am sure was done with the best of all possible intentions.

Perhaps there is such a disonnect. But for most of them, I think thier intentions are above reproach. (For the record I feel the same way about bush's intentions) They might be wrong, but most are honest in thier hatred of war. They don't think it is worth it. They might be confused and naive, but they are not cheering on the deaths of our soldiers.

(most of them, there are of course real loons (loonier than sheehan), but please don't lump them in with the anti-war movement)

Sure they're happy. While your average dope smoking tie dyed hippie (or journalist, they both seem interchangable) is against war, they're only too happy to jump on whatever bandwagon is coming down the road against it.

In this case, it' the "2000th death" mark. Tomorrow they'll be right back to marching with the World Workers Party (read Communists) and huffing bong hits

They would have been. The media just wasn't in its present form.

I can just imagine, shortly after D-day they would start airing spots on the nightly news and weekly special reports planting seeds of doubt. "Isn't the landing at Normandy good enough?" "Haven't enough died?" "Is finishing the job by driving all the way to Germany and toppling Hitler really necessary?"

Actually, there were versions of this during WWII, when the "outraged" country was "unified" behind the war effort.

At Tarawa, where we "only" suffered 1,000 KIA and 2,200 wounded (relative to the quarter million combat deaths in WWII for us overall, this amounts to a "bad day"), "For the United States, about 1,000 were killed in action, and a further 2,200 wounded. The heavy casualties sparked off a storm of protest in the United States, where the high losses could not be understood for such a tiny and strategically unimportant island." Of course, the public didn't understand the big picture, which was that this was the front door to the plan to move through the central Pacific towards the Phillipines and Japan.

But don't think that these kinds of sentiments and backlashes are anything new.

The thing about the protestors that irks me and (I'd venture to guess) most people who are supportive of the war effort is that they're the extremists on this issue, and not us.

If you really and truly got into a serious discussion with the vast majority of them, you'd find that they believe that war is never worth fighting; there is no cause that justifies it. I've seen that borne out time and time again in interviews with activists. They believe so much in the righteousness of their cause that it is an absolute for them.

OTOH, no reasonable supporter of the war in Iraq would ever tell you that war is always justified. I see far more deliberation in this position than I do in the other.

At the end of the day, in the same spirit in which our country believes in citizen soldiers fighting our wars, I'm happy that I live in a country that generally detests sending its young men and women to war, even if there are idiots like Cindy Sheehan peppered among us who can't find a cause large enough to fight about such that it outweighs her own personal grief or anger.

If you really and truly got into a serious discussion with the vast majority of them, you'd find that they believe that war is never worth fighting; there is no cause that justifies it. I've seen that borne out time and time again in interviews with activists. They believe so much in the righteousness of their cause that it is an absolute for them.

OTOH, no reasonable supporter of the war in Iraq would ever tell you that war is always justified. I see far more deliberation in this position than I do in the other.

You are absolutely right. My suggestion would be to force them to watch the movie "Hotel Rawanda". The reason our troops are still in Iraq is to prevent that kind of scenario - and that is exactly what would happen if we pulled out suddenly. It is our duty to the world and the international community to see that innocent Iraqis are protected and that stable govenment takes hold rather than chaos. I guess Cindy takes a "no big deal" position regarding genocide.

Archived