Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Arrington and his fans: 'I didn't know we were that tight'

bubba9497

Maybe this whole episode will be the kick in the a$$ he needed to change from being a very good linebacker into a GREAT linebacker.

KEEP IT UP LAVAR!

no offense but....LaVar has always been a GREAT linebacker and could soon prove himself as the best ROLB in the game today....

The 6-3, 235-pound Arrington backed up his words with a dominating performance against the Aggies. He had 14 tackles and one sack as the Nittany Lions posted a 24-0 shutout. Three of the Penn State interceptions were the direct result of Arrington's pressure on Aggie quarterback Randy McCown.

The Maxwell Football Club's voters recognized that by selecting Arrington as the Collegiate Defensive Player of the Year. He will receive the fifth Chuck Bednarik Award, named in honor of the former University of Pennsylvania great.

Arrington had 72 tackles, nine sacks and 20 tackles behind the line of scrimmage this past season. He also blocked two kicks, including a field goal attempt with four seconds left to preserve a 20-17 win over Pittsburgh. Against Purdue, Arrington sacked quarterback Drew Brees, forced a fumble, then scooped up the ball and ran it in for a touchdown.

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr compared Arrington to Lawrence Taylor, the Hall of Fame linebacker whose relentless sideline-to-sideline play helped the New York Giants win two Super Bowls.

"When you're standing on the sideline, as a coach, you just feel his presence out there," Carr told Sports Illustrated, referring to Arrington. "He's so fast, agile and competitive. Definitely one of the best players I've seen in this conference in a long, long time."

Arrington was voted the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year as a sophomore when he recorded 65 tackles, seven sacks and two interceptions. He had 11 tackles and two forced fumbles in a win over Ohio State, including one play in which he shot through the line and literally stole a handoff from Buckeye quarterback Mark Garcia.

But the play that brought Arrington national attention was his fourth down stop of Illinois fullback Elmer Hickman. On that play, Arrington read the formation, anticipated the handoff, timed the snap count and launched himself over the offensive line to meet Hickman just as he was taking the ball.

The result was: 1) a fearsome collision, 2) a three-yard loss for the Illini and 3) a film clip that played on every highlight show in the country. The play became known as "LaVar's Leap" and it stamped him as one of the most exciting players in college football, something the Penn State fans already knew.

"There was nothing you could say (about that play) except Wow," said teammate Mac Morrison.

Arrington was Parade Magazine's national high school player of the year when he graduated from North Hills High School in suburban Pittsburgh. He played both ways in high school and excelled as a running back, rushing for more than 4,000 yards. He played safety as a freshman at Penn State before coach Joe Paterno moved him to linebacker and Arrington took his place among the other legends of "Linebacker U."

telling.

Simple post, but hits the nail right on head. The coaches played this whole ordeal perfectly, imo.

LA finally got it. His first game back is against a relativly weak opponent, where a freelance screw-up may not mean a loss, while also allowing him to get his legs back after several games of inactivity. All in time to unleash him on a young QB in the biggest game the year to date.

I'm a big Lavar fan and hope to see him here beyond this year.

All in time to unleash him on a young QB in the biggest game the year to date.

I'd argue that the Dallas game was bigger simply because they swept us last year, but this upcoming week is definitely a close 2nd.

Semantics, really, but true none the less.

I agree with you about Arrington. The quoted statement above shows that he literally had no basic knowledge of "work ethic". He thought he could just cake walk through football and life, that he didn't have to earn it like everyone else. Sad, really. At least he's showing signs of getting it.

no offense but....LaVar has always been a GREAT linebacker and could soon prove himself as the best ROLB in the game today....

Great athlete with flashes, but not always a great LB. Marcus Washington, while not as athletic, has been a better LB from his first snap.

I'm hoping LaVar realizes, probably for the first time, that he has great ability that needs to be harnessed, structured and applied. If he understands, realizes and practices that, then we'll see a truly amazing Linebacker.

You can only get by on natural talent and ability for so long without fostering it. I was fortunate to realize that at a young age when I played violin. I never practiced. Ever. I got by on naturally being able to play. When I was 9, I lost first chair in the school orchestra because a female friend of mine practiced her tail off constantly and got a tutor even. I took it hard, but never wanted to lose first chair again. It was time to put the nose back to the grindstone and I got it back.

I didn't go but friends that did tell me there were Lavar signs all over the place. Somone asked if the stadium would chant his name if they didn't play him like they did Ramsey last year....I think they would have. Love it or hate it Lavar is a huge fan favorite.

You got that right. Unfortunately, some people are still picking apart the papers for controversy, trying to put a bad spin on this. But bottom line is: playing Lavar worked, he led the defense in tackles without even starting, and it is nothing the fans hadn't seen before and will look forward to seeing again & again.

Hmmm, I recall a thread I started and some of you thought it would be disrespectful to cheer him on and support him and make signs. I guess you were wrong.

I commented on this thread or one very similar. I don't think I said it was disrespectful make signs or support him. I was saying that it is disrespectful to chant his name if he isnt in the game. Like the Ramsey chants during the Cincinatti game last year. So many people think that everyone was hating on L.A. but in all honesty I love the guy, and hope he has a long and bright future in Washington. I just personally feel like I am going to support the team on the field - not support a single player more so than the whole. It was awesome seeing LaVar get to poor lil Alex Smith, but at the same time I am going to be behind gibbs and gregg williams. Lots of people are starting to drink the koolaid, but the ones putting together the mixture are Joe and Gregg in my book.

HTTR:gaintsuck:point2sky

With all the negativity surrounding Arrington lately, I think I forgot just how explosive this guy can be.

He's almost like a super hero out there, when he plays at fedex.

It was good to see him out there again, he definitely brings another element to the defense—not to mention that he is also entertaining as hell to watch. :)

I think the reason he didn't get any playing time until now, is because of the comments he made last year about the team rushing him back. So this year the coaches were like "ok, you think we rushed you back last year? fine, have it your way, we're going to make sure you are absolutley 100% healthy before we put you back in full time."

Now that the coaches feel he is 100%, he is now playing.

Hopefully both sides can forgive and forget, for the sake of the team.

Not so sure I in the right site, I could have sworn about two weeks ago there were alot more Lavar Haters than the NONE that I see now. It was some people who say he was a freelancer- funny I didn't see any freelancing- or maybe his freelancing was the reason he lead the team in tackles with 9.

Either way, I said once and i'll say it again- ( This is for all the lavar fans who stuck by his side when alot of others hated on him)

ALL TOGETHER!

BACK THEN THEY DIDN'T WHAT HIM, NOW HE HOT THEY ALL ON HIM!

:gaintsuck

You know I had to do it!

Not so sure I in the right site, I could have sworn about two weeks ago there were alot more Lavar Haters than the NONE that I see now. It was some people who say he was a freelancer- funny I didn't see any freelancing- or maybe his freelancing was the reason he lead the team in tackles with 9.

Either way, I said once and i'll say it again- ( This is for all the lavar fans who stuck by his side when alot of others hated on him)

ALL TOGETHER!

You know I had to do it!

:read:

I am with you but man that sentence was bad.

ALL TOGETHER!

You know I had to do it!

Those who said Lavar freelances are not wrong or off base by saying that. Dont be dillusional. He is a free lancer by nature that lives by it and dies by it. He will change games at times both ways (good and bad) However he gives his all to the franchise and s hould remain a Redskin. It doesnt mean he isnt subject to criticism.

I think many of the 'Lavar haters' were actually 'Williams supporters.'

Personally, my feeling was that if the Coach wanted Arrington to sit, he should sit. That's not hating on Lavar. That's believing in your coach.

Now that Lavar is back out there making plays within the framework fo the system Williams has laid out I feel pretty good about things. I feel good for Arrington, Williams, Gibbs and the whole team, and I'm glad our coaches made the right decision.

Rap lyrics.

Anyways, the "Lavar Haters" and I was NEVER one of them, just didnt like the fact that he took his problems to the media. I didnt like that either, but I always thought he should have been playing. He's Lavar Freakin' Arrington for christs sakes.

Hopefully, he just keeps getting better and better, starting this weekend.

Why does everyone who has been yelling at the coaches and calling them stupid for the past few weeks think that everyone who stood by the coaches hate Lavar. I love Lavar, I almost bought his jersey before the season(I ran out of money at the time) and I stood behind the coaches all the way. We have the best coaching staff in the league and when they make a move, I trust them, and they decided that Lavar was ready to play, and guess what, they proved to be right.

Those who said Lavar freelances are not wrong or off base by saying that. Dont be dillusional. He is a free lancer by nature that lives by it and dies by it. He will change games at times both ways (good and bad) However he gives his all to the franchise and s hould remain a Redskin. It doesnt mean he isnt subject to criticism.

If he didn't play all season explain how he is a freelancer, he played 4 games last season so what was the freelancing based on - 2003 season?

I think many of the 'Lavar haters' were actually 'Williams supporters.'

Personally, my feeling was that if the Coach wanted Arrington to sit, he should sit. That's not hating on Lavar. That's believing in your coach.

Now that Lavar is back out there making plays within the framework fo the system Williams has laid out I feel pretty good about things. I feel good for Arrington, Williams, Gibbs and the whole team, and I'm glad our coaches made the right decision.

Amen Henry, preach on... :applause:

If he didn't play all season explain how he is a freelancer, he played 4 games last season so what was the freelancing based on - 2003 season?

His whole career as a football player. Both at Penn State and for years here. I love Lavar and think he is great but the criticism of him being a free lancer is not off base. Several coaches have hinted towards it. Dont play into the "oh whoa is Lavar" theme.

Why does everyone who has been yelling at the coaches and calling them stupid for the past few weeks think that everyone who stood by the coaches hate Lavar. I love Lavar, I almost bought his jersey before the season(I ran out of money at the time) and I stood behind the coaches all the way. We have the best coaching staff in the league and when they make a move, I trust them, and they decided that Lavar was ready to play, and guess what, they proved to be right.

There was an extreme to each side of the arguement. And alot of the people who were on the coach side of the arguement took things a little too far over to an extreme and were downright disrespecting Arrington to show their support of the coaching staff. Those are the kinds of people I take issue with.

I think this whole thing is filled with lots of grey area... and neither side is being 100% honest.

Archived