Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Arrington and his fans: 'I didn't know we were that tight'

bubba9497

Arrington and his fans: 'I didn't know we were that tight'

By JOSEPH WHITE

AP Sports Writer

Monday, October 24, 2005

ASHBURN, Va. - LaVar Arrington's wife cheered when her husband ran onto the field Sunday. She soon realized she had company.

"She stopped clapping," Arrington said. "She was trying to understand. Was it because of me that they were getting so loud? The second or third time I went in there she realized it was because of me."

Arrington's wife relayed the story to the linebacker during an emotional car ride home from the 52-17 victory over San Francisco. On Monday, Arrington was still feeling the warmth surrounding his return from one of the most gripping non-quarterback benchings the city has ever seen.

The crowd rose as one to cheer Arrington's every move, reaching a crescendo with each of his team-leading nine tackles. It's a good thing Arrington and the coaches reached some sort of detente that got him back on the field _ there might have been a riot otherwise.

"It's going to stay in my head a while. I'm going to ride that one all year. That was one of the best displays of support that I could ever have been a part of. It's flattering," Arrington said. "I knew I had a lot of support, but I didn't know the whole stadium would go up. I knew we had a good bond, we were tight, but I didn't know we were that tight."

Arrington played more Sunday that he had in the previous five games combined. He played mostly in long-yardage situations in the first half, then even more as the game turned into a rout. He hadn't played at all on defense the previous two games because, according to the coaches, the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker hadn't shown he could do any better than the players who were playing.

But assistant coach Gregg Williams hinted at Arrington's return last week when he said: "His legs are back." Arrington felt there's been nothing wrong with his legs _ he's long recovered from last year's knee injury _ but he thinks he now knows what Williams meant.

"I think I stepped it up a little bit more the last couple of weeks of practice," Arrington said. "Moving around a little bit faster. I didn't know I needed to show them that. But I was kind of practicing the way I would probably be playing in the game."

Despite Arrington's impact, Gibbs was measured in his praise of the linebacker on Monday. Asked how much Arrington would play in the coming weeks, Gibbs said the decision would be left to the defensive coaches.

"It's a work in progress," Gibbs said. "We'll just see where everything leads."

Notes:@ There were no major injuries in the game, although a few players will probably miss some practice this week. DT Cornelius Griffin (strained hip flexor), S Sean Taylor (sprained ankle) and DT Joe Salave'a (foot) were limping the most. Arrington and CB Shawn Springs have sore hamstrings, but both should be OK. CB Carlos Rogers was held out of the game after aggravating his ankle injury in practice last week. ... The 52-17 victory made for a busy day for Papa John's in the Washington area. Every Monday, the pizza chain offers a free topping for every Redskins touchdown and doubles the toppings if the team wins. Seven touchdowns translated in 14 free toppings. "We're getting slammed today by the free toppings," said a delivery man as he carried a load of pies into Redskins Park. "Everybody's happy."

This story can be found at: http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128767728866&path=%21news%21vaapwire&s=1045855935241

I didn't go but friends that did tell me there were Lavar signs all over the place. Somone asked if the stadium would chant his name if they didn't play him like they did Ramsey last year....I think they would have. Love it or hate it Lavar is a huge fan favorite.

"I think I stepped it up a little bit more the last couple of weeks of practice," Arrington said. "Moving around a little bit faster. I didn't know I needed to show them that. But I was kind of practicing the way I would probably be playing in the game."

telling.

telling.

Couldn't agree more. I think that really says a lot. That Williams was making a point. That Lavar has still got it but wasn't showing it enough in practice (as stated by coaches). That both sides knew what they were doing.... and most importantly, that Lavar's future could still be very bright here in Washington

Again with the "I had no clue I needed to try harder in practice." Come on.

I'm really glad he's out there though! Now that you officially "know" that you actually are expected to work your butt off in practice, keep it up so you can keep being turned loose on opposing teams every week!

I forget dudes name on Redskins Extra and I can’t remember the interview verbatim but he asked Arrington something to the effect of ‘what did he learn during his time off the field’. Lavar contemplated for a moment and then said something like, ‘yeah, you know, who’s with you, who’s against you, lots of stuff to file away up here’ as he pointed to his head. Hmmm.

Again with the "I had no clue I needed to try harder in practice." Come on.

I'm really glad he's out there though! Now that you officially "know" that you actually are expected to work your butt off in practice, keep it up so you can keep being turned loose on opposing teams every week!

Some teams don't even practice in pads, like what Portis was saying about Denver. Some teams you don't have to work your butt off. Arrington was an assumed starter for so long on this team, I'm sure it was sort of a surprise to him that he had to actually prove it this time. Now he gets it, and he's doing it. :cheers:

Hmmm, I recall a thread I started and some of you thought it would be disrespectful to cheer him on and support him and make signs. I guess you were wrong.

Everytime he came back on the field I stood up and screamed Laaaaaaavvvvvvvvaaaaaarrrrrrrrr.....Right MissU?

Lavar if you're reading this, drop me a PM if you can hook me up with some tickets. :D

Archived