Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is a homer?

Loxley

Ok so im a lil confused, ive been loitering on this board for about 8 weeks or so now and ive listened to lots of opinions and some of the funniest putdowns ever laid out in print. The thing is i dont get some of the slang terms you guys use. I dont know if this is american slang, forum slang, football slang or just guy slang tbh.

Some stuff i get, or at least ive made what i believe to be an accurate interpretation but if someone could just explain the basics to me.

Homerism is what? i mean when i read the word homer, i think of the yellow bald guy who gets it all wrong and i laugh instantly but i doubt that he is what youre refferring to, so if anyone is bored in work or has very little else to do other than watch their post count soar, could you divulge me a little of this information so that i too may chuckle along with the rest of you.

Thanks guys

pic2.png

Per Urban Dictionary:

1. Homer

\noun\

1. American Bonehead

2. Pull a Homer --

to succeed despite idiocy

"Looks like I just pulled a Homer!"

-Magic Johnson

After slipping on water and having the ball fly out of his hands, off a ref's head, and into the basket for the game winning three pointer in Simpsons epsiode 5, 3rd season.

Source: Fenway Nickel, Jan 25, 2004

2. Homer

A blind Greek poet and storyteller.

The Odyssey is one of the famous classic works by Homer.

Source: Whip em Out Whenever, Aug 14, 2003

3. Homer

Homer Simpson, moronic head of the animated Simpson's family. Voted greatest American of all time (beating out presidents like Abraham Lincoln) in a UK poll.

*Homer after hearing the news* D'oh! Wait a sec... d'oh!

Source: Syckls, Sep 2, 2004

4. Homer

In baseball - to hit a home run.

wow! that ball went flying. looks like a homer.

Source: pokemonfreak1231, Jan 12, 2005

5. Homer

Homer - A typical well not so typical because he only roots for his team (the local team) when they are winning.

Boy Red is such a Homer.

Source: Louis Klisser, Aug 20, 2003

6. Homer

the patriarch of The Simpsons funnier more for his more recent stupidity than his classic catch phrases.

"Homer's Odyssey? Is this about the time i rented that minivan?"

Source: ColdFusion, Jul 12, 2003

7. homer

Someone who shows blind loyalty to a team or organization, typically ignoring any shortcomings or faults they have.

"That guy is a total Broncos homer, they haven't done anything good all season!"

Source: Scott F, Kansas City, Sep 6, 2005

8. homer

1. Homer Simpson. To pull a homer is do something that Homer Simpson would do i.e. something really stupid.

2. Home Run in baseball.

1. That guy's a real Homer. He sure did a homer

2. Sammy Sosa hit a homer

Source: edvardta, Feb 8, 2004

9. Homer

(noun) Something great done by accident.

Homer Simpson gambled with many lives when he tried "Eny-miny-moe" one the deactivation button at the power plant, but guessed correctly. His statement "Looks as if I made a Homer!"

Source: GoguyJA, May 6, 2003

10. Homer

(N.) Homer - The big, fat, balding Kwijibo, apelike character from The Simpsons. Also known as the American Bonehead.

(V.) Homer, Pull a - To suceed despite idiocy.

I tried to juggle three bowling balls, only to have them drop onto my right foot, but first met my girlfriend in the Hospital, after they put some bandages on it. I sure did pull a Homer that day!

In short, a "homer" is a person who roots for the home team to a point where their ability to look at the team objectivity goes out the window in any discussion. The phrase is used similarly toward some in the media, for example a television or radio announcer who abandons all pretense of objectivity, or barely disguises it, in covering a team or announcing a game involving a team.

Ok cool thats what i thought it was, so whats this crow eating lark about then? seeing as youre on a roll pez. :)

P.s you may have noticed im not an american, feel free to question any quaint english words you come across in future.

p.p.s

its pronounced TO-MART-O

:laugh:

Ok cool thats what i thought it was, so whats this crow eating lark about then? seeing as youre on a roll pez. :)

Eating crow occurs when a person or group of people spout off about their team before a matchup, and then when their team loses, they have to basically "eat crow" or "eat their words"

Edit Per Urban Dictionary:

1. eat crow

When you make a mistake and are forced to acknowledge it humbly.

I say I'm a great cook. Then you eat my food and it is no good. I sit there and eat crow.

Source: Geoff Cania, Dec 1, 2003

P.s you may have noticed im not an american, feel free to question any quaint english words you come across in future.

p.p.s

its pronounced TO-MART-O

Well, Sheryl Crow is an American pop singer. . . Pez, care to fill in the rest?

Where does "make no bones about it" come from?

To "make no bones about it," means to do something in a straightforward or unapologetic manner. According to Christine Ammer's book "Have a Nice Day - No Problem," a dandy dictionary of clichés, "make no bones about it" is such an ancient phrase, dating to at least 1548, that its origins cannot be accurately traced. As is usual in such cases, however, there are theories. It may have originally arisen as a metaphor, referring to someone who did not make a fuss if bones turned up in his or her soup or stew. Or it may be based on "bones" being a very old slang term for dice. Someone who "made no bones" would be a player who simply cast the dice when his turn came, omitting all the mystical little rituals gamblers often develop to conjure up good luck in a game.

Eating crow is also know as eating humble pie, taking all the "I told you so"s and admiting that you are wrong in front of everybody. (i.e I had stated to everyone I knew that after what we saw last season out of Brunell that he was washed up and couldn't do it any more, and that we would lose to Dallas because of the decision to put him in, I was wrong and came in to "eat crow" about how I was wrong, and I did so quite happily might I add)

I am not quite sure where this little trun of phrase comes from, but its likely that there was a bet between famous ppl a long time ago and the other person had to actually eat a crow(I am sure it was cooked). but that is just a guess

p.p.s

its pronounced TO-MART-O

Okay I do have one... what is with the odd pronounciation of: Basil ?

I don't know why, but whenever I watch a cooking show that has a person with an english accent, that is the only word that drives me nuts when they say it...

Eating crow is also know as eating humble pie, taking all the "I told you so"s and admiting that you are wrong in front of everybody. (i.e I had stated to everyone I knew that after what we saw last season out of Brunell that he was washed up and couldn't do it any more, and that we would lose to Dallas because of the decision to put him in, I was wrong and came in to "eat crow" about how I was wrong, and I did so quite happily might I add)

I am not quite sure where this little trun of phrase comes from, but its likely that there was a bet between famous ppl a long time ago and the other person had to actually eat a crow(I am sure it was cooked). but that is just a guess

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/eatcrow.htm

When you have made a serious error and need to acknowledge it humbly, it is highly probable that the expression you use to describe the process has something to do with food.

The best-known traditional expression of this type in the US is to eat crow. The origin seems fairly obvious: the meat of the crow, being a carnivore, is presumably rank and extremely distasteful, and the experience is easily equated to the mental anguish of being forced to admit one’s fallibility.

:doh:

Should this thread be in the tailgate?

p.p.s

its pronounced TO-MART-O

Loxley...don't you speak english? :laugh: Understand where you're coming from. Had a friend from England that would laugh everytime I said worchestershire sauce. I don't think ever got it right according to her.

Where does "make no bones about it" come from?

"make no bones about it" came from those that eat Pez's wings at the Unofficial ES tailgate. :silly:

Loxley...don't you speak english? :laugh: Understand where you're coming from. Had a friend from England that would laugh everytime I said worchestershire sauce. I don't think ever got it right according to her.

"make no bones about it" came from those that eat Pez's wings at the Unofficial ES tailgate. :silly:

LOL Great now I am responsible for senseless cliche's :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

p.p.s

its pronounced TO-MART-O

I do have a ****ney dictionary saved in my favorites. :D

Archived