Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Recap of Marvin Lewis with George/Sonny

Fitz

Once again, The DC was the interview in the 5 o'clock hour for George Michael and Sonny Jurgensen. Before Lewis came out, Sonny offered the opinion that the Osaka game really cost Patrick Ramsey. He felt that Ramsey's agent was telling him that the Redskins' QB situation was not that good, and that they were holding all the cards, especially if the Skins tanked in Japan. The good performance seriously eroded their bargaining position though, and Sonny said if he were Ramsey, he'd have met Spurrier at the plane saying, "I'm ready to go, coach."

Marvin Lewis sat down, and the Dotson injury was topic number one.

GM: "Santana Dotson suffers an injury, Marvin Lewis, it's a serious injury, achilles tendon, you don't get a chance to get number 71 into your defense."

ML: "No, we got him out there for a few...I guess about two snaps today in the first part, then he did it in one-on-one pass rush, so he's going to have surgery tomorrow."

SJ: "That could be career ending, I would imagine."

ML: "Yeah, a guy at his age, chances are it's very difficult to come back from."

GM: "Second thing, today you finally get a look at one of the biggest defensive tackles, a first round choice of the Dolphins, that is Daryl Gardener - who comes in after a lot of negotiating, a lot of going around to teams, he said, 'I want to play for Marvin Lewis', you *know* he wants to play for you..."

ML: "Well, he really did an outstanding job when he came here with us. We had...*I* had reservations, I'm sure he had some reservations about me. I met him coming out from the draft - he did an excellent job out here this morning, he's picking the things up. He worked very hard while we were in Osaka, both conditioning and working on what we do."

SJ: "He's got some quickness for a big man, doesn't he?"

ML: "Yeah. Very big, very strong, great hands - great extension, he's impressive."

GM: "So he would fill the place left by Santana Dotson."

ML: "Yeah, well, he basically - we were going to have him in front of Santana as we started today anyway."

GM: "Here's what I like to get when you're talking to coach Lewis. I like to get a little insight so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about. So I say, 'Coach, give me the names of the guys I need to study more.' Do you think he ever mentioned 94, LeDairis Jackson? The words never crossed his lips. This guy 94 stole the show defensively Saturday night, coach."

ML: "Yeah, LeDairis did an outstanding job rushing the quarterback, with four sacks -- one was manufactured, but the other three he did on his own, he just physically beat them."

GM: "Does that make you just stand up and say, 'You know, we've got to look at this a little harder.' "

ML: "Well, we thought that in -- without pads on, in our minicamps, that he really showed great athletic ability...ability to rush, and quickness off the football."

SJ: "Why would a young man like this get cut in *Europe*? He got cut over there!"

ML: "That's not the first time it happened. I had a guy in Baltimore, Anthony Mitchell, who'll be one of the starting safeties - started for us through the playoffs when we had an injury - couldn't start there in Europe. So, it happens..."

GM: "Alright, let me go to another player, somebody that I mentioned to you - of course you said, 'Well, we drafted him, so we like him", 34, Andre Lott. Coach, he had one hit that everybody's going to know, because it was so -- but he played, what little I could tell, a solid game."

MJ: "Yeah, Andre did a great job. He had the one hit where he was a little bit late getting there - the guy caught the ball - when he took his helmet off...but he had some outstanding tackles, he ran the defense very well back there, and really kinda came into his own a little bit."

SJ: "Del Cowsette, the young man from Maryland, also had his motors running too, along with Jackson..."

ML: "It was good to see Del, because he's played for almost a whole season last year without using his hand. And with the operation in the offseason, not being able to be with us - he's starting to use that hand again, and he made some nice plays, some nice extension plays, using the hand."

SJ: "Your defense, coach -- it's got to be somewhat nice for you, the fact that -- 38 points, the defense not on the field long, did what they had to...did you get enough looks at them? I mean, this is unusual for you, you didn't get that many points in Baltimore."

ML: "Well, we didn't score as many points at times, but we ran the ball effectively in Baltimore, which usually shortened the clock. But it was fun. We always want t see a lot of points...I told the guys, 'We've got to get ready to play some defense', because coach is making no friends." :D

GM: "Well, Mariucci said, 'That's not right, they shouldn't have done that, they ran the score up on my backups and my free agents.' "

ML: "We didn't run the score up. We can't teach them how to tackle - you know, you've got to tackle to play defense, and they didn't do a very good job at tackling, our receivers ran through them for two long touchdowns...they blitzed us on fourth and one - I mean, you know..."

SJ: "And it was also 7-7 when the starters were against starters..."

ML: "Yeah, well, 0-0...and then their second group scored on our second group, and then we scored back on them to make it 7-7, and then we scored again before halftime."

GM: "Alright, it's been a lovefest, we've made it so great...let's give him a sample of what happens on Monday. Coach, you *gave* the 49ers a touchdown. Nine yards, and he walked through your defense like it was a hot knife going through warm butter. Look at this here. Marvin Lewis, what happened?"

ML: "Yeah, we didn't do a very good job of getting the football spilled outside, you see Kevin get a little wide there...and so it was really a great play for us to learn from. It'll be a play that we'll have a chance to rep, that particular play against that defense, a couple of times, because it's something we have to defend and play. It was just a power off-tackle play, and we got a little bit too wide, got a little bit soft, a couple guys inside...so it's a good learning experience."

SJ: "You don't want it to look *too* good, George. They can correct mistakes now."

ML: "That's right."

GM: "You've got to have something to yell about, right? Marvin Lewis, defensive coordinator..."

Spurrier later, after a break...

Originally posted by Fitzman

ML: "We didn't run the score up. We can't teach them how to tackle - you know, you've got to tackle to play defense, and they didn't do a very good job at tackling, our receivers ran through them for two long touchdowns...they blitzed us on fourth and one - I mean, you know..."

What, are Spurrier and Lewis competing for the ****iest quotes to p!ss off opponents?

:cheers:

Funny stuff. Great interview.

Also liked how Lewis admitted that *he* was the one who questioned whether Gardener should be signed. He's a straight shooter.

Good recap, dude.

How big is Ladarius Jackson?

And it is shocking that he couldnt make it in NFLEurope after watching this performance.

How many of us remember that Cowsette played with one hand last year?

Even with the Dotson injury we still look loaded but hopefully we wont have to endure injuries to our key players.

I had been thinking the EXACT same thing. I'm so glad Lewis had the stones to come out and say it. It obviously means a little more coming from Lewis than from Larry Brown #43.

Archived