Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The way Moss catches the ball

AlexRS

I'm sure somebody else noticed this..

Moss is so good at tracking the ball, he extends his arms to catch it at the last moment. This was very clear yesterday when he caught that 40+ yarder on the first drive. The defender saw him looking at the ball, but did not try to do anything because Moss was not extending his arms. At the last moment he did, the ball dropped right in, and it was too late.

I saw similar type plays from Moss before, where defenders were not expecting the ball to be there because he did not extend his arms until the last moment. I think this really gives him an advantage. He just knows where the ball is going ot be. :notworthy

great observation..and bobzmuda your right that does go overlooked. everything you said bobz...i agree with..also this will probably get us more points as he will make tougher catches and move us down the field...hopefully both him and brunell can stay healthy for the season knock on wood

Both Santana and Mark have great repotoire (sp) together, and seem to have wonderful chemistry. But it does boil down to play making ability, which both are showing that they have. I too am really surprised that Santana is displaying this type of ball-catching ability at such a fast running speed. He was going so fast he actually had to slow down for Brunell's ball in the redzone when he scored that one TD. Amazing!

Gibbs said as much in pretty much every interview when being asked about Moss. On the flip side though, if he had went up to snatch the last pass against the Chiefs he may have had a shot to catch the ball for a TD instead of it being batted away by Sammy Knight.

It looks as if he just grabs it out of the air like nothing. The balls are coming just perfect for him. I noticed either last game or the game before, he was not even looking back and he raised his left hand and made a quick right turn and the ball just arrive at the perfect time.

Moss is simply sick. What a great year for him to blow up and break out.

BTW - Moss made a great catch on that 1st quarter play, but how about that placement by Brunell...incredible. He just arched it up there and dropped on a dime. Impressive to say the least.

It looks as if he just grabs it out of the air like nothing. The balls are coming just perfect for him. I noticed either last game or the game before, he was not even looking back and he raised his left hand and made a quick right turn and the ball just arrive at the perfect time.

He makes it look easy because he adjusts to the ball extremely well. Oftentimes (esp the cowgirls game) you see Brunell pass to the open area, and Moss making the adjustment to catch the ball. I think it's a case of Brunell making Moss look good, as well as Moss making Brunell look good cheers to that! :cheers:

I think that smoothness with which Moss adjusts to the ball is what tricks a lot of dbs. By looking at him they have a hard time realizing that the ball is already in the air. And turning around to look for the ball results in Moss just blowing by them. He looks like he is just running the route until he suddenly extends his hands and BAM the ball is there. It's a thing of beauty. :applause:

Do receivers ever fake catching a ball halfway through their route? I don't recall ever seeing it, but CBs frequently run with the receiver without looking back and only stick up their arms when they see the receiver reach out for the ball. It seems to me that a receiver who faked reaching out for a ball halfway through his route could sucker the CB into also reaching, thereby slowing him down, particularly if the CB also turned to look for the ball. Anyone ever seen a receiver pull a trick like that?

I'm sure somebody else noticed this..

Moss is so good at tracking the ball, he extends his arms to catch it at the last moment. This was very clear yesterday when he caught that 40+ yarder on the first drive. The defender saw him looking at the ball, but did not try to do anything because Moss was not extending his arms. At the last moment he did, the ball dropped right in, and it was too late.

I saw similar type plays from Moss before, where defenders were not expecting the ball to be there because he did not extend his arms until the last moment. I think this really gives him an advantage. He just knows where the ball is going ot be. :notworthy

Moss is the man. He impresses me more and more every day. I had not even thought about how he catches the ball, but you are right on.

Do receivers ever fake catching a ball halfway through their route? I don't recall ever seeing it, but CBs frequently run with the receiver without looking back and only stick up their arms when they see the receiver reach out for the ball. It seems to me that a receiver who faked reaching out for a ball halfway through his route could sucker the CB into also reaching, thereby slowing him down, particularly if the CB also turned to look for the ball. Anyone ever seen a receiver pull a trick like that?

That's a really good point/idea! To answer your question, I've never seen it, but, like you, I think it would work. If the receiver pulls it off well enough, he might be able to get the defender to TACKLE him--causing a holding/pass interference penalty. IF there's anyone in the league that can do this it's Santana. He just seems to always be under, and in, control.

We've heard a lot about him snatching the ball at the last second from gibbs, but you make a very good point about how this gives defenders almost no advanced warning. I always thought he did that to obtain maximum running speed and form until the last possible second.

He makes it look easy because he adjusts to the ball extremely well. Oftentimes (esp the cowgirls game) you see Brunell pass to the open area, and Moss making the adjustment to catch the ball. I think it's a case of Brunell making Moss look good, as well as Moss making Brunell look good cheers to that! :cheers:

I think that smoothness with which Moss adjusts to the ball is what tricks a lot of dbs. By looking at him they have a hard time realizing that the ball is already in the air. And turning around to look for the ball results in Moss just blowing by them. He looks like he is just running the route until he suddenly extends his hands and BAM the ball is there. It's a thing of beauty. :applause:

That "smoothness" you were referring to was very evident in the Dallas game. On the beautiful, back breaking, shockwave sending 70 yard TD (sorry....had to embellish it!! LOL!!) he saw the pass was heading towards his right shoulder. So, he made a small "jab" step to adjust his route precisely to where the ball was heading and caught it in stride. If you ever see the replay of that TD, specifically the end zone shot, watch for that tiny adjustment.

That "smoothness" you were referring to was very evident in the Dallas game. On the beautiful, back breaking, shockwave sending 70 yard TD (sorry....had to embellish it!! LOL!!) he saw the pass was heading towards his right shoulder. So, he made a small "jab" step to adjust his route precisely to where the ball was heading and caught it in stride. If you ever see the replay of that TD, specifically the end zone shot, watch for that tiny adjustment.

I noticed the little adjustment when my friend Tivo'd the Moss on Dallas td catch from the mass running at ya perpective. Me and my boy were so hyped when we noticed that little move on HDtv.

I think one thing that Gibbs has always been marvelous at is his attention to detail. I wonder if the Moss Catching style that you noticed is something that Gibbs has coached up, somthing that Moss was already doing with the Jetts, or a little bit of both.

It also is a perfect way for Moss to makeup for his lack of size. If you notice Steve Smith he plays/ runs routes in a similar fashion.

Of course all this is so much mor intriguing when analysing a 4-2 team!

Go Skins! :helmet:

Archived