Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Paul Woody: REDSKINS REPORT CARD

bubba9497

REDSKINS REPORT CARD

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Monday, October 24, 2005

A Offense:

If the economy was performing as well as the Redskins' offense did yesterday, we'd all be lighting cigars with $100 bills (Warning: The Surgeon General reports that smoking is hazardous to your health). Quarterback Mark Brunell was sharp, the offensive line provided protection for the pass and bulldozed the 49ers' front seven off the ball on running plays. Running back Clinton Portis not only gained 101 yards, he scored three rushing touchdowns as well.

A Defense:

Turnovers were forced. Sacks were made. 49ers quarterback Alex Smith had no time to pass, and the running backs had nowhere to run. Linebacker LaVar Arrington got his first significant playing time of the season and was dominant. Frank Gore's 72-yard touchdown run came late in the game against a defense filled with backups.

A Special teams:

Coverage units were solid. Derrick Frost's end-over-end punts always took a Redskins roll. Things were going so well Washington even used third-string running back Rock Cartwright on kickoff returns.

A Coaching:

Gregg Williams and his staff put together a game plan that had Smith on his heels from the first snap. Joe Gibbs' offensive game plan could not have been better scripted.

KEY PLAY

On their first possession of the game, the Redskins faced a second-and-8 from the 49ers' 49. Quarterback Mark Brunell lofted a spiral down the right sideline for Santana Moss, who was reasonably covered. The pass was perfectly thrown, dropping in over Moss' shoulder, enabling him to make the catch without breaking stride. The play covered 43 yards, put the Redskins on the 49ers' 6 and set up their first touchdown. It also established the tone for the game.

QUOTABLE

" You're always waiting for a game like this. They rarely come." - Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell

HURTING

Redskins: Defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin strained a groin muscle, left in the third quarter and did not return.

NEXT

The Redskins (4-2) have a 1 p.m. NFC East game against the New York Giants in the Meadowlands.

- Paul Woody

This story can be found at: http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128767713380

With the Skins earning straight A grades, Gibbs can get a discount on his auto insurance!

Seriously, though, great game by the Skins and they deserve the accolades for this one; I'd give 'em an A- on D, though, just for the defensive lapses that resulted in the first SF TD. Tsk, tsk, Coach Williams.

Santana "I mean" Moss is supposed to be a really smart guy.. You wouldn't know that from listening to him speak thought

Every sentence starts off with "I mean"

We did not hire Santana for his grammer. We hired him because he is a lean mean pass-catching machine.

I mean if the only ding on this week's report card is Santana's sentence structure give me a break.

It seems like Heath Shuler always spoke eloquently during interviews. Good if you want to be a congressman bad if you want to play in the NFL.

:gaintsuck

Archived