Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey Poll

Reaganaut

Who would you have rather had out of the two?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have rather had out of the two?

• Champ hands down.
    • Jevon hands down.
    • Someone else.

Ramsey's agent is getting his client a couple of extra hundred thousand in 'tomorrow' dollars by this continued holdout, but Patrick is going to suffer for it over the next 9-12 months because he has fallen so far behind the team.

he can make it up and he probably will, but those first few months here aren't going to be easy ones for the rookie. most media and fans (as well as players I imagine) are close to criticize a rookie, let alone a first round quarterback who takes this long to sign.

I think Spurrier has already put him in the 'redshirt' category for 2002 and as such is out of his mind for the present.

once this holdout went on long enough to ensure that Patrick wasn't going to be a candidate to compete for the start, the urgency to get him signed from the team's perspective was less.

now, with the knowledge he is basically an unproductive roster spot for a year, what is the rush?

if he is sitting home reading his playbook and throwing the football with his brother out in a park, he can make believe he is still working, but there is no substitute for being out there with the team.

agents need to walk a fine line. negotiate so that your client has some safety net in case of failure but also negotiate so your client has a fair chance to make a hit with his new team and get the chance to work for that bigger second contract :)

Ramsey will catch up nicely. As he proved in over two dozen practices so far this summer, he is a good fit in the Spurrier system. While he may not start this year, he definitely is a smart, strong quarterback that will give us a lot of hope for the future. Matthews and Wuerffel will be excellent teachers. This kid was a great pick and I am not on the Grossman bandwagon like so many others. I will take my chances with Ramsey, thank you.

I wouldn't. He wants a deal that is not neccessarilly the norm for those picked where he was. I know that Brees had a the escalator in his deal, but he took a much lower base as a trade-off. With a new coach who works well with QBs and an outside opportunity to start, I don't know why Sexton and Ramsey dragged it out this long. A short holdout is fine, but its been 2 weeks now...

I don't think we should trade him, nor should we automatically "redshirt" him for the season. I think we should sign him, get him practicing w/ the team, let him start our 3rd or 4th preseason game, and then rate him against our other 3 QB's. There is no need for us to miss out on some prospective talent that we can benefit from.

Originally posted by SkinsLegacy44

I don't think we should trade him, nor should we automatically "redshirt" him for the season. I think we should sign him, get him practicing w/ the team, let him start our 3rd or 4th preseason game, and then rate him against our other 3 QB's. There is no need for us to miss out on some prospective talent that we can benefit from.

I agree.

next marino please the guys like jeff goegre just selfish all about me guy this is not team player like i said he not top 5 pick so what is this selffish basturd doing by holding out we don't need him one of the gators for year and get grossman now grossmen you can compare to marino not some loser out tulane u guys were talking about sam adams being all bout the money what is this guy about.at least you know what you are getting in adams this guy could be worse then ryan leaf like said on different thread trade now that we can i already hate this guy even more then i ever did bublefield and westchoke this is selfish no matter how you look at it and no great qb ever been selfish he even mest up his chance to start if that ain't selfish what the hell is ?

Folks need to realize that holdouts are almost never about the player, they are about the agent. If he can get the player a few extra $$$'s of guaranteed $$$ then that is more $$$'s for the agent. Ramsey was an Academic All American and it troubles me that he doesn't realize this.

Salaries should be slotted like in the NBA. There should be 0 holdouts and a player shoudn't need an agent until his second contract.

Originally posted by SkinsLegacy44

Sorry to disagree but i think Ramsey is a non-factor for the 2002 season. If was in camp from Day One, he could've been in the QB mix. He isn't. The Preseason games are being used to gage who will be our starting QB. That race is among 3 qb's: Sage, Shane & Danny. I figure Steve will probably know after that third game, who he might be leaning to start. I figure that person could get the start in the 4th game. Or Steve could use that 4th game to make his final decision and have all 3 qb's play and then annouce who's our starting QB. Ramsey will not start a preseason game and probably won't even play until that 3rd game or even 4th game.

Shane isn't in our long term plans. He'll be out of here next season, even if he's the starter. He'll be looking for the big bucks.

If Danny wins the starting job and does well, then that hurts Patrick. If Sage makes the roster along with Danny; then that really hurts Patrick. Sage could be our QB of the future and that makes Patrick trade bait in 2003.

On to Carolina and we'll see what happens.

Ramsey won't even carry a clipboard. I don't care if he does sign. He can go over and wipe down the kickers balls, or be a holder while Conway kicks into a net

His agent has totally screwed him.

Do the deal and let's work with what we have.!

HAIL

Bill:cheers:

Originally posted by codeorama

Why is everyone so fixated on Grossman. Sure he put up big numbers, but so did Danny and Shane. Let's see what Grossman does now that SS is gone. I'm not sold on him just because of last year.

You're not sold on gaudy numbers from Grossman, but you're sold on a dude from Tulane? Grossman put up huge numbers in SOS's system last year against stout competition (65.6% completions, 3896 yds, 34 tds, 12 int.) but we don't really know if Ramsey can even handle the system under game conditions. Sure, Ramsey put up good numbers (57.1 percent for 2,935 yards, 22 tds and 13 ints) but that was in C-USA.

We know SOS is the coach, and we know that Grossman can produce under his system - who cares how he does under a first year head coach and an OC from Marshall.

FWIW, if Grossman been a junior or senior, he would have been a mortal lock to win the Heisman, and you'd be saying Patrick who????

BTW - first post, glad to be here, you guys have a great board. Hope I can add some Gator insight.

:cheers:

I know reporting on time is important and I know a certain amount of alienation will occur, but it's only TWO weeks out of a long season. He has already made the earlier camps and we have an extra preseason game this year. In addition, he has one of the best QB coaches on the planet. I can't believe two weeks will make or break him if he has the talent.

Let him sign and then bust his butt to make up for some lost time. It would be foolish to throw away his potential because the organization is pissed at the moment.

Archived