Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Burst the Nolan-Redskins Myth Once And For All

bulldog

I have seen in repeated press reports before this weekend's game a linkage between the presence of Nolan as the Redskins DC and the team's last playoff appearance in 1999.

the fact is, Nolan and his defensive unit were largely tourists that season.

Nolan's defense ranked #29 in the NFL and dead last against the run that year. The offense with Johnson's 4,000 yards passing and Davis' 1,400 yards rushing were what carried the team to a 10-6 record and the postseason.

Nolan consistently refused to pressure the qb despite having Green and Bailey outside as cover corners.

We continually watched teams go 70-80 yards against the defense 5-6 yards at a pop.

Indeed, in the final game of the year in the playoffs against the Bucs the Redskins defense couldn't protect a lead in a close game and allowed Tampa and rookie quarterback Shawn King to score 14 fourth quarter points to steal the game.

So, lets put to bed this myth that Nolan was a guy whose unit produced and who was unceremoniously dumped by Snyder after the fact :)

Wow. Did not know that people claming Nolan's coaching did anything but keep the redskins from going further in the playoffs. People have pretty shaky memories.

People weren't, if you define people as fans or anyone with a memory.

People were, if you define people as the media :).

I've read a few stories recently that seemed to have shed some light on things. It was the quotes from Nolan and a few of the players that helped shed some light on things. I expect the media to dump on Dan and the Redskins, but the reality seems to be that Nolan wasn't the right guy at the time and several of the players weren't the right players as well. The inability of them to actually coexist seems to have been a bit of the problem. Since then Nolan has had a chance to improve but that seems to be lost on the media at large. That maybe since he has improved and coached some good defenses that he did in fact, need to improve as a coach and wasn't the defensive mind he may be now back then.

Let's look at Mike Nolan shall we........

What do most Redskins fan remember of that period.

Explosive O (good run game), D gave up games at the end.

Nolan was the master of the Prevent D.....and what does Prevent D do?

Lose Games.

Now let's look at the Ravens, Nolan was the WR coach when Marvin Lewis left the team looking for a HC job (settling with us for 1 year as a DC).

Marvin created the stellar 4-3 D of the Ravens (combined with the abilites of McAlister, Lewis, Woodson, Boluware and Sharper) making the Ravens one of the best D's in all time in 2000.

Nolan comes in switches to a 3-4, Lewis looks terrible and the Ravens lose a game (thanks again to prevent D) that normally they would have won to the Bengals, who were jumpstarted inot a winning team (momentum people).

Nolan would have been fired last year had he not jumped on the 49ers ship.

Things didn't start to improve for the Redskins D until Ray Rhodes got here (even if just for 1 year).

I have seen in repeated press reports before this weekend's game a linkage between the presence of Nolan as the Redskins DC and the team's last playoff appearance in 1999.

Nolan's defense ranked #29 in the NFL and dead last against the run that year. The offense with Johnson's 4,000 yards passing and Davis' 1,400 yards rushing were what carried the team to a 10-6 record and the postseason.

Nolan consistently refused to pressure the qb despite having Green and Bailey outside as cover corners.

We continually watched teams go 70-80 yards against the defense 5-6 yards at a pop.

Indeed, in the final game of the year in the playoffs against the Bucs the Redskins defense couldn't protect a lead in a close game and allowed Tampa and rookie quarterback Shawn King to score 14 fourth quarter points to steal the game.

So, lets put to bed this myth that Nolan was a guy whose unit produced and who was unceremoniously dumped by Snyder after the fact :)

*cough* Bill Arnsparger *cough*

I thought everyone was unanimously happy when Nolan left. Our defense really sucked with him in charge, I have no idea how he got a head coaching position.

I am not sure either but Mike seems to have gotten a lot of yardage out of being the son of a freat coach. While in DC his players were so busy trying to figure out his scheme (which other coaches around the league called very complicated) that they played as if they were more worried about being in the wrong place than about being run over. The year Ray Rhodes was here he got us back on the track of being aggressive and hard hitting.

The bottom line is that in order to be effective as a defensive unit the other team has to be afraid of you hitting them,pressuring them, :2cents: covering them and blitzing them

Let's look at Mike Nolan shall we........

What do most Redskins fan remember of that period.

Explosive O (good run game), D gave up games at the end.

Nolan was the master of the Prevent D.....and what does Prevent D do?

Lose Games.

Now let's look at the Ravens, Nolan was the WR coach when Marvin Lewis left the team looking for a HC job (settling with us for 1 year as a DC).

Marvin created the stellar 4-3 D of the Ravens (combined with the abilites of McAlister, Lewis, Woodson, Boluware and Sharper) making the Ravens one of the best D's in all time in 2000.

Nolan comes in switches to a 3-4, Lewis looks terrible and the Ravens lose a game (thanks again to prevent D) that normally they would have won to the Bengals, who were jumpstarted inot a winning team (momentum people).

Nolan would have been fired last year had he not jumped on the 49ers ship.

Things didn't start to improve for the Redskins D until Ray Rhodes got here (even if just for 1 year).

That's how I remember it. Skins could have dominated that year with a better DC. Nolan will be a huge bust in SF.

exactly how i feel, when nolan was here i remembered how much i hated him. he was a terrible d/c for us. his defense blew and as soon as he left, we got better. the only reason he was good in baltimore was because he already had a defense taht marvin lewis had already built. (overall i agree with goskins)...nolan was terrible and im glad hes gone. wont be a good hc either IMO. i just want to give him a loss this weekend though, thats all i really care about.

I'm not a big Nolan fan, but the defense did start to play really well at the end of 99. When Stephen Davis was banged up at the end of that year, the defense did step up. Also, don't forget that they shut out the Lions in the playoffs that year and shut down Tampa Bay for much of the game. They gave up 14 points in two playoff games.

Outside of the last four or five games, Nolan was terrible as a cordinator. 97 and 98 were painful.

I'm not a big Nolan fan, but the defense did start to play really well at the end of 99. When Stephen Davis was banged up at the end of that year, the defense did step up. Also, don't forget that they shut out the Lions in the playoffs that year and shut down Tampa Bay for much of the game. They gave up 14 points in two playoff games.

Outside of the last four or five games, Nolan was terrible as a cordinator. 97 and 98 were painful.

The difference was Nolan had Arnsparger's help the second half of the 99 season.

I thought everyone was unanimously happy when Nolan left. Our defense really sucked with him in charge, I have no idea how he got a head coaching position.

Because he came cheap? 49ers ownership has become notoriously cheap, and though I don't know exactly what type of money Nolan's getting there, it probably isn't top money. Also, the fact that there are many, many more coaches that better deserved the opportunity to become a head coach seems to point to a decision based partly on money, and partly on how easily ownership could control him.

Oh no....I just got shudders remembering the heralded "PREVENT" defense. The only thing it prevented was the 'Skins from winning the game.

Question? Wasnt it Nolan who was in charge of the Skins D when the cowboys came back on us in the 4th quarter when we were ahead by 3 TDs? Still have nighmares about that one!:doh:

We still don't know how much of that was Norv's fault.

In that situation Norv ahd a lot of say so about what the defense could do in certain situations.

Gibbs leaves the defense completely up to GW which is rare. I always say the coordinators get too much credit and blame in most cases.

for instance..what if Norv said against so and so team we shouldn't blitz on 3rd and long because we have good cover guys..Then The DC's hands are tied.

We just don't know and Nolans defenses have been fairly good, not great, but decent IMHO. so looking back I still say NORV!!!! (now Ron Lynn was a complete idiot..LOL)

Actually the d got better near the end of that year, especially in the two playoff games, but that may have been due to the caliber of the offenses we played...

San Francisco, Miami, Detroit, Tampa...among others.

The defense sucked real bad for most of that year though.

Archived