Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hello...Coach Gibbs!

PREDICTOR

#1) Yawn

#2) Clinton Portis was hurt in both years with Denver

#3 & #4) Do you understand that that neither decision was made from what he saw from one game or quarter? Did you even watch the preseason?

#5) You can't handle the truth and the fact of the matter is you don't want him telling the whole truth. As soon as he tells the whole truth you will accuse him of destroying the team by airing dirty laundry and throwing said player "under the bus."

#6) I sure do remember the old days when we were ranked in the top 5 in defense because of our pickups of Sean Taylor, Walt Harris, Carlos Rogers. I remember it as if it were just yesterday. I also remember the bodybag game very well. I also remember a Joe Gibbs-led team beating that same Eagles team on the road in the playoffs that year. I remember that none of our D-line that year was drafted by the Skins in the first round. In fact only Charles Mann was drafted by the Skins at all.

Here are our D-linemen drafted in the last 25 years in the first 4 rounds.

Kenard Lang

Bobby Wilson

Shane Collins

Markus Koch

Bob Slater

Steve Hamilton

Mat Mendenhall

Tracy Rocker

Charles Mann (3rd round)

Sterling Palmer

Todd Liebenstein

Do you remember when you were a little kid and you thought you knew everything only to find out that you didn't know crap? Give us a call in a few years when you figure out the coach doesn't owe you anything other than wins and losses and a team that doesn't embarrass you off the field.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Pay the man Shirley!!

And here lies the truth. Those who don't want any real answers are just homers or afraid to incur Gibbs wrath here at the board. But most of the fans out here would rather just have the truth.

So you think he has been telling the truth OM? So you actually believe that Lavar will finally play after they find a "package" that he can fit into to? You are disingenuous Sir because you KNOW you do not buy that. So Greg Williams cannot devise 1 single package for a 3 time pro bowler? Give me a break.

Lets hear the truth and not double speak for a change. And double speak is another word for LYING. Yes he does lie. I don't care what he does. Its his decision because he is the coach. He can run the wishbone offense if he wants to....but I think fans deserve truth and not lying when it comes to team news.

And like the above poster said......Gibbs would FAIL the test right now if he were hooked up to the machine.

To be quite honest, no one is affraid of Gibbs.. In a one on one fight I pretty sure I could take him.

Regardless if he's telling us the truth or not, I really don't care.. Everyone has been in the position where they are asked a question but the answer could have adverse effects on other people.. In this case an entire football team.. So he gives you what he can without hurting anyone else. Any more info on that isn't needed and is none of mine(or your) business.

You show up, you watch the game, you go home.. That's all Gibbs owes you. Field a team on Sunday.. that's it.

I do not think the coaches are 100% honest! So I agree with you there.

I as a fan would like for the coachese to be 100% honest and tell me everything I want to know about the team. I agree with you there.

Every team, coach, player in the league would love this as well, since we would be the only team that tells its fans every single thing and is 100% honest, however that would unltimately lead to other teams knowing our game plans and what exactly we are doing.

So I guess really its best for things to be the way they are. For the record I think Gibbs and the Redskins tell there fans a lot more than most teams, and certainly provide us with far more access.

Bottom line Gibbs can not always answer every question and give the perfect answer we want to hear.

I as a fan would like for the coachese to be 100% honest and tell me everything I want to know about the team. I agree with you there.

Every team, coach, player in the league would love this as well, since we would be the only team that tells its fans every single thing and is 100% honest, however that would unltimately lead to other teams knowing our game plans and what exactly we are doing.

So I guess really its best for things to be the way they are. For the record I think Gibbs and the Redskins tell there fans a lot more than most teams, and certainly provide us with far more access.

Bottom line Gibbs can not always answer every question and give the perfect answer we want to hear.

Loose lips sink ships... =)

If I had 10 minutes alone with Predictor, this is what I would ask him:

1) Is it hard going thru life as an imbecile?

2) Do you realize that as a moron, you may be entitled to special consideration on entrance exams and housing?

3) Do you understand that a quick perusal of your posting history here on ES will present the portrait of an intolerable buttmunch bent on agitating others.

4) Do you understand that you appear to be a fraud?

Old JimmiJo appears to be a bit mean spirited, what with the name calling and all. Is that allowed here OM? JimmiJo also appears to be a true homer who would have the same belief system even during a 6-10 season as he would during a 10-6 season. Follow the party line, just be happy for change for changes sakes, and overlook 3 fumbles as long as the coach says somebody played their guts out while fumbling.

Personally, I prefer winning over excuses. I prefer truth instead of doublespeak...and I expect a coach who holds ALL players accountable, not just the ones he doesn't personally favor.

Do you need a reading course?

I said I don't care WHAT he DOES...I still want to know WHY.

You have such an entitlement attitude. You can keep wanting to know why. It's really none of your business, and I find it amusing you are so torn up over the why. Newsflash. You're never gonna know.

Do you need a reading course?

I said I don't care WHAT he DOES...I still want to know WHY.

No I don't need a reading course, but may I suggest you re-read your post where in a number of your statements you are pointing out what you believe are errors in the way Gibbs has done things (indicating that you disagree with / care what he does). Not, that you wanted to know why.

I'm not sure how to respond to this or even if I should respond. But just for my own fun, I'm going to try and respond to your questions like I think Coach Gibbs might.

Question 1: Our Defense's coaches are telling me that LaVar is getting closer every week to making a real contribution the team. You'll have to talk to Coach Williams, Coach Blache and Coach Lindsey about LaVar's timetable. I've spoken to LaVar about what he needs to do to get back on the field and I'm real comfortable with our situation right now.

Question 2: Clinton is a super back. When he runs he rocks people. He gained 1300 yards last year which is about as good as I've ever had at running back. John Riggins is only one type of runner I've had in my career. I've had Earnest Byner, Ricky Ervins, Kelvin Bryant, Keith Griffin, and Timmy Smith to name a few. Each are different type of runners. I'm confident in Clinton's ability in this offense. Running backs get nicks. It's a tough game. May I remind you, Clinton missed some time with injuries in Denver too.

Question 3: Rock has been one of our top guys on special teams and plays his heart out in practice as well as games. I was sick for him after the fumble and we've had a good talk about it but Rock is a "core" Redskin.

(Me again-Antonio wasn't here long enough to get the same loyalty that Rock has earned, plus you're forgetting, Antonio fumbled in preseason and fumbled in Dallas last season too.)

Okay back to channeling Coach Gibbs. :D

Question 4: I've spoken to Mark about protecting the ball when he's running. Last year, Mark threw 6 int in 9 games. He's real smart and careful with the ball. I'm real comfortable with Mark back there. He does not make bad decisions with the ball. We've worked with Patrick to improve his decision making and he's making real progress.

Question 5: Here's honesty for you........I don't like being called a liar. Ask Steve Czaban how I react to that kind of junk.

(Me once more-I didn't like the way Coach Gibbs handled the Ramsey/Brunell transition and I think I even implied that Coach Gibbs lied to Patrick and for that I was wrong. We really don't know how long or short a leash Patrick was given by Coach Gibbs in private, in public he had to back his QB and I think it's that public backing and then benching that shocked me.....but that didn't mean Coach Gibbs lied to Patrick.)

Question 6: Do you really want to "give back" Sean Taylor and Carlos Rogers? Those guys bring it every week.

(I'm back :silly: -I remember the "Body Bag" game.....I also remember the fact that the Skins went back to Philly in January and beat Jerome Brown, Reggie White and Clyde Simmons like they stole something in a game that actually mattered)

I hope everyone can forgive me for this presumptuous and schizophrenic exercise on my part.

In all seriousness Predictor, I been a complainer too on some issues, but really you can't be this upset about everything surronding this team, can you?

They have gotten better, and unlike years past, I now believe they can beat anyone in this league. That is significant progress.

For the record, Coach Gibbs, when this guys keeps saying "we," he's not speaking for me.

Count me in.

That being said, the guy has an opinion and I respect that, even though I disagree with him. This is a message board and it is used for opinions, discussion and criticism. I think it's ridiculous that anyone who has something negative to say about this team is labeled an idiot, moron, etc. Now the "we suck" "cut him" or "fire him" crowd? Well, see the aforementioned "idiot" and "moron".

So you think the coach telling you why Lavar sits on the bench would have somehow endangered the game plan at Kansas City? How exactly does that work? How exactly would Vermeil have used that information to score more point? So you think an explanation of why Rock Cartwright is such a great Redskins despite not having done anything this year but fumble the game away, would somehow endanger our game plan against San Fransisco? How exactly does that work. You think somehow that information will allow their defense to pick off Brunell?

You have no football knowledge if you believe that being honest about simple personnel questions will alter the outcome of a game.

Here are our D-linemen drafted in the last 25 years in the first 4 rounds.

Todd Liebenstein

Liebenstein is a hell of a nice guy. Too tall for me to talk to, as often as I see him, though... :laugh:

He teaches History at Herndon High School right next to my fiance. He and his wife are really good people and their daughter watches our cats for us when we go away.

PREDICTOR does sometimes seem to be fishing for one, that's for sure. Or at least a time out so we save him from himself and maybe talk him back off the ledge.

Unlike what many seem to believe, we are ALL about allowing people latitude to say what they have to say around here. It's when that approach runs up against critical mass on the part of any one particular poster or subject that we slowly cast Sauron's one good eye in their direction.

If you know what I mean. :)

Yeah, I think... gotcha'... ;)

PREDICTOR,

You have two real problems at this point.

One, your post is being torn to absolute shreds in every conceivable way. And you seem to have no ability or intent to answer them. What that is doing for how you are perceived in this community is not a good thing. I hope you can appreciate that.

Two, you seem particularly fond of baiting me personally. Happily, I'm in a great mood today and your prodding is easy to ignore. The PROBLEM comes in that moods change.

So there's no question ... when you start a thread like this, with all the bombast and red herrings and everything else, you need to be prepared to deal with the fallout and actually answer the quesitons posed in return. When you consistently fail to do that, it brands one as something closer to troll than contributing member.

Take that as a hint, okay? Please?

Old JimmiJo appears to be a bit mean spirited, what with the name calling and all. Is that allowed here OM? JimmiJo also appears to be a true homer who would have the same belief system even during a 6-10 season as he would during a 10-6 season. Follow the party line, just be happy for change for changes sakes, and overlook 3 fumbles as long as the coach says somebody played their guts out while fumbling.

Personally, I prefer winning over excuses. I prefer truth instead of doublespeak...and I expect a coach who holds ALL players accountable, not just the ones he doesn't personally favor.

Predictor. Nobody wants to win as bad as I do. But, you have to understand that Gibbs has a master plan for now and the future. He came here with one purpose and that is to return us back into one of the elite teams in the league.

it's going to take time, but we appear to be ahead of schedule and I believe we will finally be watching 'Skins football come January. THIS YEAR. :point2sky

Hmmmm. If I were coach Gibbs, something like this., ( no way I'm doing that laugh).

1) Do you really feel its smart to keep a pro bowler on the bench while your defense can't even smell a sack?

I believe in listening to what those whose job it is to teach and help Lavar be the player he can be in the present defensive system are telling me. He's not quite ready but he's getting there. I believe that is is the smart thing to do at this time. Evaluate as we go along. If I feel the need to step in and make a decision, I'll do what I've always done and do so. I am the head coach.

#2) Do you understand that Clinton Portis is NOT a 235 pound John Riggins and that you can't pound him into the line like Riggins and that THATS the reason he was injured last year and the reason he is already injured this year and that you are OVER PAYING for Mike Alstott in a Warrick Dunn body...and that you are taking 3 years off of Portis career at this rate and that Mike Shanahan got him to score TD's with a lighter offensive line because he put Portis in SPACE?

I do. And I have made adjumstments to my offense to accomodate him. They are not always easy to see, but then I'm not going to point them out either. I don't want to make it that easy for the teams we play. It hasn't been easy and it's been a slow process since the offensive linemen have had to adjust to even more changes as a result. And I've worked with Clinton on making adjustments to his style of running and to help him make better decisions on the field. He's still learning. We both are.

#3) Do you understand our confusion on cutting Antonio Brown after 1 game due to 1 fumble in a game in which we still won....and yet when Rock Cartwright fumbles he is practically given the game ball for his effort, in a game in which we lost?

Not really. Antonio was here for less than one season and was given every opportunity to succeed. There were other factors involved in the decision besides the fumble as well. However, being that ST's has been a concern for us in the past and that giving up fumbles there is something we as a team can ill afford, I thought it best to lower the risk. We do have others on the team capable of returning kicks and more than enough capable receivers on the offense as well. As for Rock, yes the fumble was costly. However I have to look at overall contributions to the team and look past mistakes, no matter how costly they are. For intance, I had Ernest Byner on my team in the 90's, and I had him there after a very famous and costly fumble. I am not comparing the 2, but you see my point. My job is to look past these things and at the overall contribution to the team.

#4) Do you understand our confusion on benching Patrick Ramsey after one half of play when you went with Brunell for 10 games last year and even now he is comitting turnovers game after game and here we go again?

Again no. When Patrick got hurt, I had already noticed something. I had been concerned throughout the offseason and was giving Patrick every opportunity I could. It is unfortunate that Patrick got injured but I felt as though that was as good a time as any to make a change. To do so early and give him some more time to learn. I understand he has fans and I am one of them. That is why he is still here. Among other reasons. The difference in the 2 is that Mark had a history if success and being better than what he demonstrated last year. There were reasons for that fall off and I have addressed them. I believe his performance so far this year is more to what he is capable of as a QB.

#5) Do you understand that fans need and deserve honesty? Why don't you come out more often and just give us the truth instead of lying and using double speak about packages and people playing their guts out? Why can't you just use plain simple language and say things like "We have phylosophical

differences and he has made some enemies here on the coaching staff so we're gonna be as stubborn as he is.... even if it hurts the team."

I have been honest. I have not lied. I know the fans want and feel they desereve more than what I have said, but my players and coaches deserve the privacy of any problems there may be to be worked out without the extra pressure of scrutiny from the fans and the media. Those are the people under my charge and I am responsible for them first.

#6) Coach, do you even understand that drafting cornerbacks and safeties every year in worthless if you can't pressure the QB because it all starts up front? Don't you remember the old days when the game was won in the trenches and the motto was it all starts up front? Remember the "bodybag" game" Coach. I couldn't tell you who played in the secondary that night, but I sure remember Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons, and Reggie White because they were UP FRONT. Do YOU remember Coach?

I actually understand the reverse is true. I also understand that I make decisions in part by what coaches whom I've hired to look after that side of the ball advise me to do. If they feel as though they need DB's for their particualr form of defense then I will do my best to see that they get them.

I understand that I may make a few mistakes along the way here, but I'm doing the best that I feel I can do based on my years of experience as an assistant coach and a head coach. I understand that some fans are not going to agree with me. I understand that some in the media are not going to agree with me. I understand other coaches or players may not agree with me, but I am the Head Coach and I make the best decisions I can based on all the information I have in front of me. Not just what I see on gameday.

PREDICTOR,

You have two real problems at this point.

One, your post is being torn to absolute shreds in every conceivable way. And you seem to have no ability or intent to answer them. What that is doing for how you are perceived in this community is not a good thing. I hope you can appreciate that.

Two, you seem particularly fond of baiting me personally. Happily, I'm in a great mood today and your prodding is easy to ignore. The PROBLEM comes in that moods change.

So there's no question ... when you start a thread like this, with all the bombast and red herrings and everything else, you need to be prepared to deal with the fallout and actually answer the quesitons posed in return. When you consistently fail to do that, it brands one as something closer to troll than contributing member.

Take that as a hint, okay? Please?

Is it wrong that I'm turned on now?

Archived