Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is why DC should never have representation

jbooma

Be very aware of going into DC and drinking now. They have passed a zero tolerance law in regarding to drinking and driving. D.C. police have said that District law gives them the authority to arrest drivers with blood alcohol levels above .01. So if you want to go to a nice restaurant in DC and have 1 drink you can go to jail :doh:

They are in an emergency session right now to change it, but all the bars and businesses are PISSED right now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/14/AR2005101401959.html

Party in VA :cheers:

If you were taking cough syrup, how much would you need to blow a .01 :silly:

I agree with JBooma here... the DUI laws have simply gotten ridiculous. And the penalties, imho, don't fit the crime.

I've never gotten a DUI but I know people who have. Seems like drug offenders have less trouble getting their life back in order.

Look, I know drunk drivers are bad, but it is getting ridiculous. What about tired drivers? Is there a penalty for driving while sleepy? There should be... countless accidents caused by negligent drivers asleep at the wheel.

What about drivers not paying attention, or yapping on their phones, or putting on makeup? Shouldn't they go to jail as well?

This has become a political football. If a politician, chief, DA, etc. wants to make a name for him/herself, they simply announce a 'get tough on DUI' campaign, etc. And the people rally around the program.

It's getting out of hand.

Driving is serious business. Zoony makes a good point about tired drivers. Fighting off sleep while driving is very frustrating and dangerous. On the other hand this is the same D.C. City Council that tried to keep the Nationals out of D.C., so how smart can they be?

It was allot more fun talking about DC politics when Marion Barry was in office. "that biatch set me up" was his responce to being caught smoking

crack with an undercover agent, who he thought was a prostitute. :laugh:

I used to send my parking tickets to his office with an f-off crack boy note on them. Hey I didn't want enable him you know!

Its fine with me to keep all the boozers out of the city.....I can live without them...let the burbs deal with the drunk drivers...

You are missing the point.

I am not talking about drunk drivers. I am talking about people who like to go to the nice restaurants in DC and have a glass of wine or a beer. These are the people that will be impacted by this.

They already had a 45 year old lawyer that was arrested because she blew a .01 after having one drink. She is now never going to go eat in DC because of this. They pulled her over because she was driving without her lights on, what happened was in her car she has the automatic lights but the valet driver turned them off. She didn't realize to later they were off because the streets in DC are lit very well, and then when she did she was pulled over. The put her in jail for one glass of wine.

The local businesses are outraged by this.

Ok, for one JBooma, reading the post and acting like its a credible news source is a joke. They've had a zero tolerance policy for years. Little known because its LITTLE enforced. The post is writing about this right now because Linda Cropps fat ass is using it as a part of her campaign. As for them being flooded with phone calls... well hmmmm this is NOT a topical issue. I think that was some journalist take some liberities.

No one in the district gives a rats ass about this law. As for the Nationals, that was another political move-- A weak gesture on Linda Cropps part to demonstrate she was looking out fiscally for the city more so than Anthony Williams.

As for the no representation. Go **** yourself.

Driving is serious business. Zoony makes a good point about tired drivers. Fighting off sleep while driving is very frustrating and dangerous.

Driving home after the first pre-season game this year, I was struggling with fatigue, but was luckily saved by a sobriety checkpoint! I might have wrecked my car falling asleep if I hadn't had to stop and prove I was sober!

On a side note, I was in no way impared, but had drunk 4 beers 5 hours earlier at the pre-game tailgate. Under the D.C. rules, just admitting that could have gotten me arrested.

No one in the district gives a rats ass about this law.

You have no clue do you:

Has D.C. Gone Dry?" the 600-member Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington asks on its Web site. Lynne Breaux, the group's executive director, said that restaurant owners are concerned about business falling off and that "incredulous" members of Congress who were unaware of the zero-tolerance policy have been calling to complain.

Looks like business people in DC do care. This was also on the front page of the WP the other day so it is clear people care. Doesn't matter how long the law has been there the fact they acted on it now started this.

What part of I live in the district and its not enforced are you missing?

tell that to that women that was arrested :doh:

all it takes is one act of enforcement to turn it into a huge story, and that now has happened

the law is stupid to begin with

What part of I live in the district and its not enforced are you missing?

Do you drink and drive a lot in the city? If it's not enforced, why was that lady who had one glass of wine thrown in jail? And what about people in the burbs who didn't know about this law who are reading about this lady? It's going to deter people from outside of DC from going into DC to eat, party, go clubbing, etc. You may not care, but the restaurant owners care big time.

*BTW, it's not just the Post reporting this, it was on NBC4 a couple nights ago.

tell that to that women that was arrested :doh:

all it takes is one act of enforcement to turn it into a huge story, and that now has happened

the law is stupid to begin with

You only get pulled over if you are acting drunk. Who acts drunk at .01 ???

Technically thats the equivlent of using listerine

You only get pulled over if you are acting drunk. Who acts drunk at .01 ???

Technically thats the equivlent of using listerine

She was driving with her headlights off. As booma said, her car has automatic lights, which were turned off by the valet driver, and she got pulled over because she didn't realize they were off. If she was stumbling all over the place, then I can see how she was thrown in jail, but so far it sounds like she blew a .01 and was thrown in the back of the squad car.

Archived