Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin.com: Springs Still Day-to-Day, But He's Improving

bubba9497

Springs Still Day-to-Day, But He's Improving

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=11466

Cornerback Shawn Springs is expected back at practice this week and could be available to play in Sunday's game against the San Francisco 49ers, team officials said on Monday. Springs sat out the game against the Kansas City Chiefs with a shin injury.

Springs' status remains day-to-day.

"Shawn had some treatment on [the shin] Sunday night when we got back from Kansas City," head coach Gibbs said. "We are going to take it day-to-day, so we will see. He is pretty close to being back."

Meantime, the status of safety Ryan Clark is uncertain heading into practice this week. Clark has a bruised spleen and it's unknown when exactly the injury occurred.

According to Gibbs, Clark first alerted team trainers to the discomfort last Friday after practice. After the diagnosis, Clark was listed as out for the Chiefs game and did not make the trip to Kansas City.

The team will continue to monitor Clark's recovery through the week. When the injury was first diagnosed, trainers were told that Clark could be sidelined for 2-3 weeks.

"[Team doctors] are going to look at some tests they want to run this week," Gibbs said. That will kind of be week-to-week. Whether he can play this week or not, I don't know. Hopefully that will be something that heals up real quick."

Other injury updates:

Center Casey Rabach suffered a sprained ankle in the fourth quarter of the game against the Chiefs, but the injury is not considered serious. He is expected to be ready for this Sunday's game against the 49ers.

Defensive tackle Cedric Killings sustained a high ankle sprain on Sunday and was sidelined most of the game. He is listed as day-to-day, team officials said.

Defensive tackle Joe Salave'a has a plantar fasciitis injury and is day-to-day, team officials said.

Running back Ladell Betts, who sat out the Chiefs game, is improving from his groin injury. His status will be evaluated through the course of the week.

Kicker John Hall has continued to increase his kicking. The team is expected to make a decision at the end of the week as to whether to activate him for this Sunday's game against the 49ers. Hall has been sidelined the last four games with a quad injury. Rookie Nick Novak has kicked well in his place.

Hey bubba, excuse my ignorance but what is a plantar Fasciitis, and does Joe Salave'a really need it to play ? LOL

As a runner, I'm very familiar with it. It is basically when the tissue on the bottom of the foot, underneath the arch, tears. It can be quite painful, and it doesn't heal quickly because of the location.

I often get it because my calf muscles are pretty tight, which pull on my achillies tendon, which causes plantar fasciitis. Usually, if I'm streching out correctly, I can minimize it.

Jason

Archived