Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our defense is crap

jabronijames

I don't care what you guys say about how wonderful our defense is. They suck. There...I've said it. I am not ready to give them their props, basically because they have done nothing that impresses me. They should not be impressing you guys either.

1) We're losing games because of big plays against us. Say what you want about bad referees (which there are) and about our turning the ball over (which we do), but when it comes right down to it, Tatum Bell took our D to town. Priest Holmes took our D to town. What's his name Ingram took our D to town. Stupid fleaflicker in Dallas took our D to town. We are losing because our defense is letting the other guys score. I don't care if it is only a few plays. It's too many.

2) We have no turnovers against quality teams. Discount the Bears and we have nothing. Count them...ZILCH. We start every offensive drive from back at our own twenty yard line. We need to get some turnovers.

3) We have a lot of distractions on the defensive side of the ball. Sean Taylor is probably going to jail. LaVar Arrington is spending his millions in between trips to the sidelines, where he spends 60 football minutes sitting on a cooler...all the while our Defense is out on the field getting its a$$ rocked off.

4) Total points allowed is not a good stat to judge a defense on. You know what we should judge our D on? DID WE WIN THE GAME? If the answer is no, it's time to start looking at what's wrong.

Sorry guys...I love the skins more than anything, but Charles Mann said in a postgame show last year (after the steelers loss) that he's not ready to give the defense any kind of props at all because, as punishing as they are, they fail to get turnovers and they generate zero points. I echo that for this year. They're not that good.

I don't care what you guys say about how wonderful our defense is. They suck. There...I've said it. I am not ready to give them their props, basically because they have done nothing that impresses me. They should not be impressing you guys either.

1) We're losing games because of big plays against us. Say what you want about bad referees (which there are) and about our turning the ball over (which we do), but when it comes right down to it, Tatum Bell took our D to town. Priest Holmes took our D to town. What's his name Ingram took our D to town. Stupid fleaflicker in Dallas took our D to town. We are losing because our defense is letting the other guys score. I don't care if it is only a few plays. It's too many.

2) We have no turnovers against quality teams. Discount the Bears and we have nothing. Count them...ZILCH. We start every offensive drive from back at our own twenty yard line. We need to get some turnovers.

3) We have a lot of distractions on the defensive side of the ball. Sean Taylor is probably going to jail. LaVar Arrington is spending his millions in between trips to the sidelines, where he spends 60 football minutes sitting on a cooler...all the while our Defense is out on the field getting its a$$ rocked off.

4) Total points allowed is not a good stat to judge a defense on. You know what we should judge our D on? DID WE WIN THE GAME? If the answer is no, it's time to start looking at what's wrong.

Sorry guys...I love the skins more than anything, but Charles Mann said in a postgame show last year (after the steelers loss) that he's not ready to give the defense any kind of props at all because, as punishing as they are, they fail to get turnovers and they generate zero points. I echo that for this year. They're not that good.

PULEEZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! GIMME ME A BREAK!

I can't believe how many of our fans jump on and off the bandwagon, I guarntee if our defense got a few fumbles and interception the next week, this kid would make a post about how he is having G.Williams baby.

They held priest to 18yds rushing and allowed 181 yds passing against last years best offense and they are missing thier number one corner! i'm not happy they lost, and there is blame to pin on the defense for both games. To say they are crap is absurd and shows the lack of knowledge you posses towards this game. Go watch iceskating or something, leave us alone.

Dude, we're just not getting the bounces, or the calls. Priest Holmes' first fumble was ruled down by contact, when everyone thought it was a fumble except the refs. Then the second Priest fumble got knocked right to his own guy...bad luck. Against Seattle, Rogers forced a fumble against Alexander, which went right out of bounds. Bad luck. Against Denver, Springs missed an interception by inches, and we had a safety taken away because of the stupid tuck rule. Bad luck. Against Dallas, when Taylor baptized Crayton, it was a fumble and would have been 6 points, except they ruled it incomplete. Bad officiating. The turnovers are there, we're just not getting the bounces.

Our offensive turnovers and mistakes are the reasons why we are 3-2, not the defense. To say that makes you look not so intelligent.

Sorry, but the defense is suspect. If you don't get turnovers or score then you have to hold the other team from scoring. That is what we did last year even with an offense that usually went 3 and out. THe defense is not holding the other team this year and the offense is keeping them off the field so they should be rested. Defense cost us the broncos game and maybe even the chiefs game. Ya there was 3 fumbles but the chiefs scored on a huge play by priest, and after one of the fumbles they drove the entire length of the field. We need to get some pressure on the qb if not turnovers.

Sorry, but the defense is suspect. If you don't get turnovers or score then you have to hold the other team from scoring. That is what we did last year even with an offense that usually went 3 and out. THe defense is not holding the other team this year and the offense is keeping them off the field so they should be rested. Defense cost us the broncos game and maybe even the chiefs game. Ya there was 3 fumbles but the chiefs scored on a huge play by priest, and after one of the fumbles they drove the entire length of the field. We need to get some pressure on the qb if not turnovers.

Thank you! It's nice to know you don't have your my-redskins-can-do-no-bad goggles on. Since when have we been a bend but don't break defense? You know what they call a defense like that? LOSERS! It's time to stop the f'ing bending. And, btw, numbers don't go very far when you're losing games. I don't care if we are number 5 overall and 3 in the NFC. Face it...if you don't win, it don't mean sh!t.

:cheers:

Nobody likes to loose, but it does serve as a measuring stick on progress. The Skins lost two key games, but really outplayed the opponents. Last season, the Skins couldn't even score two touchdowns a game. Whatever the problem, its fixable. The Skins are in good shape no matter how much one complains. At least this year, we are like 6 or 7th in total offense, and 5th or so in total defense. A few tweaks here and there, and look out!! 10-6 IS really feasable even 11-5.

You make some points that people who are in love with Williams and stats can't consider.

1)We have a defense that is unable to pressure the QB.(Brady would put up 50 against us)

2)We have a defense that has not WON us 1 game yet.(interceptions,fumble recoveries etc...)

3)We have a defensive coach who thinks benching a 3 time pro bowler is a good idea.(like we have someone better)

4)We have only one playmaker on our defense(Sean Taylor)

5)We have a defense that can give up a 50yrd plus TD at anytime.(4TD's over the last 4 games that have averaged 50yds plus)

Guest Gichin13

Interesting thread from my point of view. I think the original poster goes a bit too far ... but so do many jumping on the Williams jockstrap bandwagon. Williams has a solid scheme, but we are at least Springs/Harris being healthy consistently and one more solid playmaker away from being a truly great defense.

I think we have a good, but not great, defense. We are extremely solid and punishing against the run and that is the foundation of a great defense. We bring solid, consistent and intelligent play practically every down. This does not mean no one gets burned ever, but it does mean the mental errors and lack of effort problems of many teams are non-existent with this defense.

We utterly lack turnovers.

We utterly lack any pressure on the quarterback. Last year, we were able to generate pressure through aggressive blitzing from a variety of sources (not just LBs, but also safeties and even corners). This year, even when blitzing we are not getting there. It also seems like we are blitzing a lot less (for very good reasons). I would chalk this up to a couple factors:

1. Marshall/Holdman is a big trade down from Pierce/Marshall.

2. Smoot is gone. This is not fatal, but taken in conjunction with both Springs and Harris nicked up and starting a rookie corner and suddenly we are vulnerable to being picked apart deep if the blitz does not work. If Springs is healthy, I see us being able to be more aggressive. If Harris is too, we are back to more exotic blitz packages even in a multi-receiver set. It is just too risky leaving Jimoh naked back there on an all out blitz.

I would rate our defense as good, but a step down from last year. We do not force any turnovers so no one can call us a great defense. We are real good, real solid, but totally unspectacular right now. This defense needs to learn how to pick a pass and run it back to be truly game changing. To sack the QB and get a fumble recovery. Hmm, that happened to us twice yesterday and led directly to us losing (just like against Baltimore last year).

According to your argument any defense that allows the other team to score on them is no good.

Points against is one of the best ways to judge a defense, if not the best. Yes, our D gives up some big plays, but so does every other D in the league. Our D rarely lets those plays add up and turn into a lot of points and our D has a great points allowed average. Their points allowed average is spectacular considering how often our Offense turns the ball over and turns it over in our own territory.

Our D has allowed no more than 21 points this season in a game and has done so against 4 very talented offenses. Go look at the numbers that the Broncos, Seahawks, Cowboys and Chiefs offenses have put up.

I would agree with the following criticisms of our D: We have trouble getting pressure on the QB, we dont generate turnovers and we dont consistently give our O good field position.

The first point and the last point, however, I can't really blame the D for too much. All opposing offenses are running 3 step drops, making it extremely hard for us to have time to get to the QB (and I think the D does an admirable job considering the fact that it is lacking a natural pass rusher). And the field position also rests on the shoulders of the special teams.

BOTTOM LINE? No defense is perfect. Our D is great. Yes, its great. It does have ample room for improvement, but our D plays a MAJOR role in the success this team is having and a MINIMAL role in its failures.

But, I do blame the defense for one thing.....I blame them for setting the standard so high that when they give up a few TDs everyone who claims they know a thing or two about football finds it necessary to come out and bash them.

You make some points that people who are in love with Williams and stats can't consider.

1)We have a defense that is unable to pressure the QB.(Brady would put up 50 against us)

2)We have a defense that has not WON us 1 game yet.(interceptions,fumble recoveries etc...)

3)We have a defensive coach who thinks benching a 3 time pro bowler is a good idea.(like we have someone better)

5)We have a defense that can give up a 50yrd plus TD at anytime.(4TD's over the last 4 games that have averaged 50yds plus)

are you retarted, do you even watch the games? Dallas, 1 minute some seconds remaining, 3rd Down, Pass to Clayton and it is caught....BOOOOOM, the ball goes flying incomplete (Sean Taylor Ofcourse), 4th Down, pass to whoever caught stoped well before the first down marker by Walt Harris. Last game the defense would have been admired if we didnt have 3 OFFENSIVE turnovers that resulted in 10 points, 6 (2 Field Goals) of which was only allowed by the defense ( 1 Fumble returned for a touchdown). So just please SHUT your mouth.

Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, Possibly Griffen.

If the offense doesnt turnover the ball, i dont see pats getting 17.

you should just be dummy slapped

Archived