Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gatorfans, Was this a Typical SoS Game?

Reaganaut

I'm trying to discern how much of this gameplan was due to SoS trying to work out the kinks in the offense and how much was SoS being himself. It looked to me as though he was working the kinks out by throwing on 4th and 1 and such. Am I right or does he really open things up this much in all his games?

If this is typical Spurrier then I'm going to either drink heavily or stock up on Maalox. I don't think I've ever seen an NFL offense that looks like this. Very unorthodox, exciting to be sure. Anything is better than going 8-8 every year though.

I watched the '97 Gators/LSU game yesterday on ESPN classic. Although the Gators lost, it looked eerily similar to what we saw Saturday night.

I'm talking to a non-Redskins fan now, who's saying Mooch just didn't want to break out his REAL playbook. God...WHATEVER! :rolleyes:

This game wasn't a typical SOS game. SOS runs the ball more than what you saw the other night. Also there was a lack of penalties. The Gators are traditionally the most penalized team in the SEC year in and year out as well (and on years when they arent at the top, they are close). I dont know why this is, but its obvious that it didn't hurt them much.

I guess if you can hit on 40 yard gains at the drop of a hat then penalties don't play as big a part of the game. Traditionally, with field position in the NFL being the primary determining factor on whether a team scores or not, it's a big deal. But, I get the impression that SoS doesn't sweat it as much as other coaches.

Not really ... we didn't throw it down field 40 yards when we were looking at fourth and one much ... but then, we never really had many fourth downs to practice with. :)

Can anyone name the punter for the Redskins? You might write that down somewhere, it might come in handy the fourth or fifth game when he comes in ... and you are wondering who is that guy?

Dont expect skins fans to do the Gator chomp too often. If anything I'm expecting to hear the war chant from the fans reminiscent of FSU.

We still need pessimism for a few more games so the board doesnt get carried away.

Somebody go rile up 50 cent err one dollar and Q Card.

ChrisFul is right, Spurrier really does run the ball more than what we saw Saturday night. Notice that in the quotes in the most recent news articles he said he wasn't too happy with the run blocking during the game. I think the degree of pass plays vs. run plays was partly due to the fact that run blocking was weak and the passing game was working, so he stuck with that...especially since he needed to evaluate all the receivers anyway.

One thing others here have mentioned is that the Fun 'n Gun is built to get receivers into the open. That is why you saw so many passes completed on slants across the middle and passes that would find the gap between the linebackers and the secondary. That is easiest to do between the 20s when you can spread things out. As you get inside the red zone, everything compresses and it is a little harder to get the receivers wide open. The big advantage the Skins have now is that when you combine Davis' power running in the red zone with the pass plays, it gives Spurrier even more options to mix it up and pick on what the defense is doing. If the run blocking improves, Davis should get quite a few TDs this year as he crashes in from inside the 5.

The other aspects you saw, though, were typical of a Spurrier offense. The whole thing is predicated on making the correct reads on the defense and then it is all timing and touch passes with the occasional deep ball to keep the D honest.

One thing to watch for when the Skins play the 9ers in the regular season is that Steve will call completely different plays out of the same formations. Their D can study the game film from Saturday night all they want. It wont help them as much as they think it will. ;)

It was typical in that it was exciting and high scoring.

Haven't heard SOS quoted about individual and overall performance. Typical Spurrier is that he's not going to let anyone get too excited about the performance and will readily point out shortcomings and mistakes in the film room.

Spurrier will have a more balanced attack during the regular season unless he smells blood and spots a weakness (injuries/subs/mismatches with DB's) in which case he will keep exploiting it. Watch for more passes to backs out of the backfield when regular season starts. Spurriers gameplan is predicated on finding mismatches, so there really isn't a "typical" Spurrier gameplan.

There are several things that Spurrier does that are reminiscent to me of Joe Gibbs' offensive schemes:

- he favors formations with more than two WR's, and especially likes to "bunch" WR's over on one side of the field to create mismatches and confusion on that side, or simply to flood that side of the field w/WR's; it also creates holes in the defense on the opposite side of the field for RB's and TE's to be open in once the defense shifts to the weighted side of the field;

- he favors pre-play motion by his players, to reveal the defensive scheme, mismatches in it , and to conceal his own play call;

- he can run multiple plays out of the same formation; Gibbs was known to have basically only around 12 to 15 different pass plays (Spurrier may well have more) in his playbook, however he could run them out of any formation that he had simply by lining players up and then putting them in motion, thereby effectively multiplying the number of pass plays he had. I recall the elite teams of his era - Giants, 49'ers and Bears - commenting on how it was terribly difficult to read what Gibbs was running based upon their formation.

I like the level of creativity I'm seeing so far on offense. :)

In a typical SOS game there would have been at least 50pts on the scoreboard! SOS likes to go for the jugular early and I mean EARLY. By the end of the third possession he likes to have 21 pts on the scoreboard!

But, don't be surprised that if the offense is stinkin up the joint that you see a punt on 3rd down. That's right, I said 3RD DOWN!!!!! He will do this when he is frustrated that the field general is not making the right reads.

I can remember after SOS resigned last year that Buddy Teevins (now the HC at Stanford) told a story about SOS making up a play during a timeout and Teevins told him that it wasn't in the playbook. SOS looked at Teevins and told that it was now. SOS will draw up plays in the dirt if he has to!

What you saw is typical Spurrier, especially 4th and 1. Before the play, I told my son, "watch this, over the middle for a TD just like to Doering against UK. Sure enough, score! He does it frequently. The commentators just don't get it though. They kept talking about blown coverages. Get used to it. Spurriers receivers are open all the time. The QB has to pick up which one is isolated and hit him, quick. That's what Wuerful has been good at. Most of the time the formation is called in the huddle. The play is called while the QB is under center. Watch the interaction between the QB and Spurrier. It's very stressful but fun to watch. Lots of delays though.

Here's some insight into the mind of Spurrier:

The Florida-Georgia game is always played in Jacksonville... has been since the 1930s. However, two years in the 90's, the game was played on the campuses while the Gator Bowl was renovated when Jax got the Jags. When the two played in Gainesville, it was ugly... a total blowout by UF (52-14), one of the biggest wins in the series, and Ray Goff had many many nasty things to say about Spurrier and it was said by many UGA fans "just wait until you have to come to Athens next season" -- well the following year, SOS went up to Athens and won 52-17. He even called a late timeout to get one more TD in before the end of the game.

When he was asked why he did that, he said, "No one has ever scored over 50 points against Georgia at home... we wanted to be the first."

He is very mindful of history, his reputation, and his ability to get under the skin of opposing coaches. Think Cowboys fans are starting to sweat yet?

This season will be entertaining if nothing else as SOS chips and pecks at the hide of stodgy, PC coaches around the league. Who will be the first to blow?

The comment ChrisFul made about the penalties raises an interesting topic. Gator teams have always been prone to a lot of penalties. Some of them were followed by nasty consequences. I hope it is professionalism and the fact that if you aren't a lock to stay on the team, you won't earn any brownie points by jumping off-side or holding.

g8way,

Keep in mind that the NFL officials should be better than college officials. UF continuously got the shaft in the SEC when it came to officiating. The fact that UF was the most penalized team while at the same time their opponents cumulative penalties when playing UF were lower than any other is proof of that.

Hopefully, the NFL is a bit more strict about that.

Most of the Gators penalties aren't something you can get "Shafted on" though....you can get shafted on Def/Off Interference calls, Personal fouls, etc. etc. But the Gators rack up a lot of Procedural penalties...false starts, offsides, too many men on the field, etc. etc. I think some of that has to do with spurriers offense. As complex as it is, i think it also has a lot of room for error as far as procedure is concerned.

Archived