Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I don't know what to make of last night's game but I'll try anyway....

Tom [Giants fan]

I watched the game until it got to 31-7. It appeared the first team offense for the Skins wasn't having much luck against the first team D of the niners. There wasn't enough time however to tell since most of the starters were out before the first quarter ended. Sage threw well after shaking off the cobwebs. Wuerfell looked good from what I saw of him but again, it wasn't the starters. I will be curious to see him against a starting defense. The only hole I see on your D is up the middle. You guys should have a Baltimore of two years ago type D. The Skins looked pretty good and the niners did not. It is only the first preseason game but not bad for the first one.

I have a live draft coming up on Sept. 1 for a Sandbox league I am in. I will tell you one player I won't be picking, Stephen Davis. How can he get any points if he doesn't carry the ball? I can see him running about 5 times in games the Skins are losing. Close games, maybe 10. If they are winning that is one thing but it isn't worth the risk of starting him on a fantasy team. The Redskin receivers may be another story.

Tom, I know you're a Giants fan and all but don't write off the NFC's leading rusher just yet. The turf conditions were horrible, and the running game was not what SOS wanted to look at in this game. He wanted to get the passing game on track. Davis will get his carries. On the telecast, last night, they put up a graphic showing Wuerfel's Heisman/MNC season. The Gators ran the ball more than they threw it!:silly:

I'm hoping everyone in my fantasy league will write off Davis, too. I'll pick him up in the 3rd or 4th round. He'll get his carries, and probably more than last year. No more of Marty's run, run, pass offense. Can you imagine Davis on a draw with nothing but maybe one linebacker 6 yards deep and a 190 lb. corner between him and the end-zone? Or Davis on a quick swing pass? Oh, man...

Thanks for the info on Davis. Maybe if he is available in the fourth or fifth round I'll take him. And me saying what I said has nothing to do with being a Giants fan. I just didn't see the Redskins run too much. If that is their offense, Davis won't be getting many carries but I'll wait and see the other four preseason games. Luckily, my draft isn't until after the preseason is done.

That's a good point, Kizer ....

If Davis can get 1,400 yards running into a 8-man brick wall, it's hard to argue that he can't match that if he's running in open space or against 5-6 DBs, even with fewer carries.

I get the sense that Spurrier sees no point in running a RB straight into a defense that's waiting for him. Yeah, you can run a RB 25 times at 4 yards/carry, or you could run him 4 or 5 times for big gainers when there's actually room to run.

We'll just have to wait and see, but at this point, I'm buying a visor :cool:

Don't write off Davis yet. When Spurrier had a good, bruising back at UF, he ran him. Errict Rhett had three great seasons rushing the ball under him. Davis is better than Rhett and is perfect for SOS's system.

SOS usually runs the ball as much as he passes. Of course, a lot of that is to run out the clock after building a nice lead. ;)

Yeah, you can run a RB 25 times at 4 yards/carry, or you could run him 4 or 5 times for big gainers when there's actually room to run.

I guess this is one reason why I liked Marty more than most did, but to me, if you're getting 4 yds/carry, then you should run it 25 times. (Or maybe 40 times). (In fact, I keep thinking, if you're averaging 5 yds/carry, which we did occasionally, then you're not running enough, even if you're doing it 50 times).

I keep thinking, if SS's willing to run 25-40% of his first quarter plays, then he may as well count on man coverage for the rest of the game. (And if he cxan't come up with some plays that work against man coverage, then his reputation has been greatly exagerated).

(It might help keep his QB's jersey cleaner, too).

Archived