Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ifeaynai Ohalete

floydfurillo

No one has mentioned this yet but there has been a precendent with Greg Williams as far as the Lavar Arrington situation. In 2003, Ifeanyi Ohalete had 103 tackles (led the team) and 3 interceptions as the Skins starting strong safety. He was one of the defensive standouts of that season.

Early during the 2004 preseason, Ohalete was demoted to third string and he was eventually released. I don't recall Greg Williams ever giving a reason for his demotion. And I do remember Ohalete and others inside and outside the team being at a loss for the reason(s) why.

Sean Taylor was brought in to play free safety (not Ohalete's position) and eventually worked himself in as the starter. Matt Bowen was moved over to start at strong safety. And two safeties who had not proven themselves on the field to the level that Ohalete had (Andre Lott and Ryan Clark) made the squad.

Its not as if Ohalete had forgotten how to play in the interim between the 2003 and 2004 seasons. How can you go from having a 100+ tackles and 3 interceptions one season to not even making the team the next?

Just as how do you go from being a Pro-Bowl caliber performer to having one of the supposed best defensive staffs around not being able to find a "package" or develop a scheme to get you in the game.

It is obvious the the Williams/Blache/Lindey regime has something going on with Lavar ( a la Ohalete ) that is not solely based upon his abilities has a football player.

Early during the 2004 preseason, Ohalete was demoted to third string and he was eventually released. I don't recall Greg Williams ever giving a reason for his demotion. And I do remember Ohalete and others inside and outside the team being at a loss for the reason(s) why.

Maybe because he's an average player at best. Last time I checked, he was looking for work...

I believe the official reason for him not being a Redskin was his form and technique.

The lavar issue confounds me, however. Its just frustrating to see an explosive player like Sean Taylor get all the support from G williams, even when taylor ****s up (e.g. Last year in dallas; this years FLEA FLICKER THAT THEY PRACTICED ALL WEEK AND SEAN TAYLOR STILL BIT ON).

This is in no way slandering Sean Taylor, I love the man, he's the jersey I have of a current Redskins player. But it's inexcusable that Arrington is not on the field! Greg Williams said it himself before training camp "I am a better coach when Lavar Arrington is on the field."

WHA' HA' HAPPEND? :doh:

Well, this does bring up another idea.

Marvin Lewis has offered a haven for ex redskins defenders.

I wonder what the Bengals would offer for Lavar?

If he's not going to be here, it would at least put him somehwhere out of conference where he'd be less likely to come back and bite us in the ass.

~Bang

Well, this does bring up another idea.

Marvin Lewis has offered a haven for ex redskins defenders.

I wonder what the Bengals would offer for Lavar?

If he's not going to be here, it would at least put him somehwhere out of conference where he'd be less likely to come back and bite us in the ass.

~Bang

more likely that Schottenheimer would want him out in San Diego.

I doubt Lewis would offer more than a ham sandwhich.

The Marvin Lewis post reminds me of two good points:

One of the revisionist theories that is going around in the media and on the boards is that the reason Lewis moved Lavar to defensive end is because he couldn't trust him at Linebacker because of his free-lancing. Even though this negates the fact that he played LB on first and second downs. My recollection is that it was done because we could not get any pressure on the QB on obvious passing situations. Lavar initially didn't like going up against bigger offensive tackles as opposed to blitizing from a stand up position and this is where there was initially some point of contention between the two, not because of any free-lancing. lavar went on to collect 11 sacks. I think Lewis would take him if available.

Secondly,

everyone on the board who bashes Lavar about him being overrated, free-lancing, etc. always says the same thing, trade him but keep him out of the conference. If he is such an easily exploited free-lancer that teams game-planned for (as former player turned loud-mouthed commentator Brain Mitchell said) then send him to the Eagles/Giants/Cowboys so we can exploit him too.

Archived