Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it time for the NFL to...

Teller

Best play of the Redskins/Denver game?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Best play of the Redskins/Denver game?

• Royal knocking a ref out of the game.
    • Plummers fumble for a safety.
    • Brunell to Patten for a touchdown.
    • Blocked kick with a facemask.

maybe, its not like the NFL couldn't afford it. The difference obviously between the NFL and the other sports is that the officals only work once a week, rather then the every few days in the other sports. What would the officals do on the 6 days they weren't working? study alot of film or something?

I answered the NFL hates the Redskins. Not because I really believe that, but because it was the most fun answer to pick. :D

Honestly, I don't know what difference it would make, because I still believe that bad calls are gonna happen. People aren't perfect. They are gonna screw up here and there. I believe that most of the time when a bad call is made, it's by accident. Sometimes though....I do have my doubts.

I agree Painkiller. I've even made a mistake or two myself (shhh...don't tell my wife).

But just to use the freshest example in my mind. The tuck/fumble/incomplete pass/safety today. There's no way Jake was trying to throw that ball. After review, I really think they should have gotten it right.

I think that play would be one that the NFL could use as sort of a "training video." I'd like to see them get all the officials together during the week and review film of the previous weeks questionable calls; not to attack the guy making the call, but to make sure it's called consistently in the future.

And I like the NFL Europe idea too. Hadn't thought of that.

Agreed. I thought Moss' knee was down on the sideline (which was reviewed also, and still ended up wrong??). And I thought the D holding call that kept our last drive going was weak at best.

It cuts both ways, but I really do think the officiating is getting worse, and replay isn't helping as much as it should.

It dont matter the game is over and if the skins would have done other things right they wouldnt have to worry about that play to win. Belive me i am a die-core fan, but hell its in the past now. And lets get ready to play the cheifs. And by the way to all you skins fans and all the other fans to the teams in the NFC EAST :dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck !!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Over here in the UK our top soccer refs are now full time Professionals. It has made absolutely no difference to their level of performance.

English soccer is the fastest and hardest soccer play, Can you explain how they ref's of the EPL blow calls.

The NFL should be policing the Officials anyway. We had as many calls go for us yesterday as against us. The Chris Cooley non-call on PI was pretty blatant, but we had a make-up call or two in there. We weren't getting those last year. Regardless, the NFL should be policing these calls.

Get the tuck-rule straight, too.

Not only do they need to hire and train full time refs, they also need to pare down the rulebook.

It's utterly ridiculous to expect these old men to be able to keep up with world class athletes, 22 at a time, moving very fast and creating violence. It only stands to reason that at the very least an age limiter and a requirement of physical fitness would improve games, but also to have them sit and study game film and be presented with "you make the call" type tests.

using part time refs was fine back in the days when teams barnstormed around the country playing games with teams that would last a year or two before folding.

I wouldn't even mind so much their mistakes if there was at least a little consistency from game to game, from ref crew to ref crew. But there isn't. It's not even close. Full time refs and a standard training regimen will at the very least make sure that you can expect some degree of consistency from game to game.

The rules have become so convoluted it reads like a law review.

"Interpretation of the rule" is their favorite excuse when these guys screw up. This is FOOTBALL. It is a game of absolutes. VERY few calls should be left up to "interpretation".. things like pass interference. But otherwise, a man is either holding, or he's not. A fumble is a fumble or it's not,, How the hell a QB dropping the ball while tucking the ball under his arm or bringing it to his chest is not a fumble is totally beyond me, I don't understand the tuck rule, nor do I understand the PURPOSE of the tuck rule.

It seems it is merely to prevent turnovers. It has nothing to do with protecting the passer, as I have heard some say, because if the QB is holding the ball, he is fair game to be smashed. I have absolutely NO idea what the tuck rule is meant to accomplish.

That is just one example.

Replay is used badly. Frankly, once the call goes to replay, REMOVE the REF from the result. CALL it from the BOOTH if you're going to review it up there, I have heard announcers say with some humor that guys like Ed Hoculi will hardly ever ever reverse a call.. so then what is the point of it if the refs refuse to acknowledge their mistake or missed call? Once a review is called for, ref needs to go sit down and await the ruling from on high.

"Outside the Lines" had a great report yesterday about the NCAA system of replay.. they review every play from above and if the call is wrong, they call down and stop the game and correct the mistake.

Now, I don't know that I'd want to have them review every play, I kind of like the idea of 2 challenges per half, etc. I like the coaches having that ability to question the call, and I like the further strategy it adds when your challenges are limited and costly if you're wrong. I think thatis fine. But damn, once a challenge is issued, REMOVE the on field official from the decision, He already screwed it up once, why give him the chance to do it again, either thru incompetence or arrogance?

The point is I saw those NCAA guys in that booth reviewing every play and getting it right in less than 25 seconds. and when they found something wrong, they stopped play and made the correct call. I also liked that they had a severe time limit,, they had to get it done before the next play, so they manage to remove the minutia of it all. Did he catch it, or not?

I know a lot of you are like me, I can sit and in one or two replays make the proper call. It RARELY is inconclusive, and it RARELY takes more than one or two looks at it.

I just love it when the announcers say "Oh, he's just under there now determining where the ball should be spotted."

This takes 2 minutes?

Good grief, look at the damn field, ref... there's numbers and hashes all over it, In 99.9% of all replays you'll ever see, you can SEE the yardmarkers.

Now how can they manage to do that in under 30 seconds in the NCAA while an NFL ref sits with his head under that viewer for 3 or 4 minutes?

The system is antiquated. The game has grown, the game has sped up, the players are bigger and faster then ever before. It is a glaring problem that is doing nothing but getting worse.

the NFL backs these clwns up, saying almost by rote that "They get 99% of the calls correct."

Terrific.

Here's an idea.

Stand against the wall and let me shoot 100 bullets at you.

99 of them missed. But that one that hit you in the head,, ,that didn't hurt too much, now did it?

~Bang

I just think they need to re-evaluate the "tuck rule" it is a load of garbage...the Raiders would def. agree with us. True officiating is lousy, but I have seen bad officiating everywhere, even my kid brother's little league games! So no, I don't think the NFL hates the skins, I mean goodness Paul Taglibue comes to our games often!

English soccer is the fastest and hardest soccer play, Can you explain how they ref's of the EPL blow calls.

The big desicions always seem to go with the more popular teams especially when they play at home.

My point was really though that making the officials full time had no effect on their performance, and I suspect if NFL Officals became full time officals it would make no difference to the level of their performance.

The NFL should be policing the Officials anyway. We had as many calls go for us yesterday as against us. The Chris Cooley non-call on PI was pretty blatant, but we had a make-up call or two in there. We weren't getting those last year. Regardless, the NFL should be policing these calls.

Get the tuck-rule straight, too.

I agree.... the officiating was just bad all around. It was enough to make me cringe.

First of all, why the majority of officials old men?

no,

I know alot of officials on the high school and college level. They don't get paid squat and they sacrifice alot of their free time to ref. Believe me they take it very seriously and do the best job they can. They know every rule in and out, have meetings every week to discuss how they can do their job better.

I'll admit this officiating crew was terrible on Sunday, but thats gonna happen. I mean our players sometimes have horrible games on the field and they train full time, yet they still do stupid things like false starts on field goals or dropping easy passes.

First of all, why the majority of officials old men?
It takes alot to move up the ladder. Its not a full time gig so you can imagine how hard it is for a person to go from High School to College to the pros. Would you donate free time to try and move up the ladder when your not getting paid anything and having to move around every week?

These guys are old because they've all been officiating for a long period of time, and have moved up to the professional level. Its not a job you apply for. You have to have the experience, you have to know people in the NFL circle and you have to be willing to sacrifice alot to make it to that level. By the time this happens most people have been in the game for over 10-20 years.

I dk how much it would help to make them full-time, but it couldn't hurt, right? I mean, they couldn't be worse, could they? I think the refs would be pretty upset if they were made to work full-time, year-round, though, unless they got paid A LOT more. I mean, from what I've heard on pieces on ESPN and NFL Network over the years, some of them are lawyers and other serious jobs. (DK why lawyers sticks out in my memory, but for some reason I remember hearing about that.)

But I agree with others who have said the rules need to be reviewed, esp the tuck rule! I mean, who likes it?! Maybe at this point, the Patriots and the Broncos are happy it worked in their favor, but c'mon, it's a terrible rule; it's got to go!

It's also interesting to hear the Head of NFL Officiating Mike Pereira's weekly piece on NFL Total Access where he generally comes on and defends controversial calls, saying the refs were right. Last week, for example, he talked about why that call against the Lions was the right call. He "knew it at the time and he still stands by it." I'm sure he'd say the same thing about the tuck rule yesterday. In fact, he did about the one in the Pats-Raiders game. He always makes it sound reasonable, but I wouldn't want his job!

Archived