Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN-at the end of the day

natem985

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=eod/week5

"Broncos win 'are-they-for-real?' bowl

Denver won the game, but the Broncos and Redskins both should have earned more national respect.

A 21-19 victory at Invesco Field made it four straight for the Broncos since they wilted in the South Florida heat back on opening day. Denver, as always, has a dominant running game, and now it has a quarterback, Jake Plummer (left), playing efficient football. The defense is there again, too. Know where the two-time defending champion Patriots are next week? At Denver, in what will be one of the marquee matchups of Week 6.

As for the Redskins, I thought they were for real even before they came within a two-point conversion of tying Sunday's game at Denver. The Redskins have doubters because they've won by the skin of their teeth (their three victories were by a combined six points) but the Patriots have built a dynasty on close victories. Why is New England praised for making plays at the end of games while Washington is knocked for it? Mark Brunell is authoring one of the best stories in the league this year. The 'Skins will be in this thing for a while.

A good point about the New England comparison

Also, analyst John Clayton shows some respect:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2186065

Tough loss, but we'll recover. :helmet:

Pryce's comments are interesting. They are highly complimentary of us in the Clayton article talking about how frustrating it is to go against us because of our protection schemes. And, what Pryce said there was the Broncos should have only rushed three or four because it wouldn't have mattered as we were protecting so well.

Teams will start dropping out of things because they can't get to us and that will open things up. Keep it up.

"Why is New England praised for making plays at the end of games while Washington is knocked for it?"

As I was watching the highlights from today I was thinking the same damn thing as the Patriots won yet another nail biter.

Then once I calmed down a bit I realized the only (BIG) difference is the Patriots have 3 Super Bowl trophies so their method of winning is respected, while the Redskins still have a ways to go before they can be compared to the Patriots in the same sentence.

After today I also hope that some of those writers will take a closer look at the teams we've played and beat, and realize that we've played some quality opponents so far. We have held two high scoring offenses in check, allowing 17 against Seattle and only 13 against Dallas, and at the same time amassed some serious yardage against defenses that statistically are some of the better ones in the league.

"Why is New England praised for making plays at the end of games while Washington is knocked for it?"

As I was watching the highlights from today I was thinking the same damn thing as the Patriots won yet another nail biter.

Then once I calmed down a bit I realized the only (BIG) difference is the Patriots have 3 Super Bowl trophies so their method of winning is respected, while the Redskins still have a ways to go before they can be compared to the Patriots in the same sentence.

You are right, but Gibbs' ways also won 3 Superbowls. Just not as recent.

This was the game the national media needed to see. Many out there only saw the close wins and were looking for something to knock about the 3-0 start. It's alsmost like you have to apologize for being undefeated if you're not killing people these days. Like somehow if you're unbeaten early, you're either a SB contender or a fraud. Like there's no such thing as a rising team who happens to string together a few wins early.

They expected us to get steamrolled and exposed today.

Didn't happen. Now they're finally seeing what we've been seeing all along. A team that nobody's going to want to have to play again.

An interesting question.

Would you have felt better having won the game with 257 yards, under 100 yards passing, losing the time of possession and having very little consistency on offense or having lost the way we did.

Obviously 4-0 would have been great, but, this game serves to give everyone more confidence for having played the way we did.

This was the game the national media needed to see. Many out there only saw the close wins and were looking for something to knock about the 3-0 start. It's alsmost like you have to apologize for being undefeated if you're not killing people these days. Like somehow if you're unbeaten early, you're either a SB contender or a fraud. Like there's no such thing as a rising team who happens to string together a few wins early.

They expected us to get steamrolled and exposed today.

Didn't happen. Now they're finally seeing what we've been seeing all along. A team that nobody's going to want to have to play again.

couldnt have said it better :cheers:

Bucs and Cincy both lost, leaving Indy as the last undefeated team (and look at who they've played...Baltimore, Jacksonville, Tennesse, Cleveland, San Fransisco) THAT being said, they have beaten the teams on their schedule...what more can you ask for? Thats exactly what we did through our first 3 weeks and we still weren't getting respect.

An interesting question.

Would you have felt better having won the game with 257 yards, under 100 yards passing, losing the time of possession and having very little consistency on offense or having lost the way we did.

Obviously 4-0 would have been great, but, this game serves to give everyone more confidence for having played the way we did.

Though I hate being satisfied with a "moral victory" I agree with you that people have to take the 'Skins more seriously now. The bubble did not burst today, even though we don't have a win to show for it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=eod/week5

Here's a section of the article which mention the skins:

Broncos win 'are-they-for-real?' bowl

Denver won the game, but the Broncos and Redskins both should have earned more national respect.

A 21-19 victory at Invesco Field made it four straight for the Broncos since they wilted in the South Florida heat back on opening day. Denver, as always, has a dominant running game, and now it has a quarterback, Jake Plummer (left), playing efficient football. The defense is there again, too. Know where the two-time defending champion Patriots are next week? At Denver, in what will be one of the marquee matchups of Week 6.

As for the Redskins, I thought they were for real even before they came within a two-point conversion of tying Sunday's game at Denver. The Redskins have doubters because they've won by the skin of their teeth (their three victories were by a combined six points) but the Patriots have built a dynasty on close victories. Why is New England praised for making plays at the end of games while Washington is knocked for it? Mark Brunell is authoring one of the best stories in the league this year. The 'Skins will be in this thing for a while.

An interesting question.

Not even a toss-up for me.......I'm quite happy with the way this team played, and I would much rather have this team think of the offense as a strength of this team, instead of a liability. With the mini-monsoon, the altitude, and the hostile crowd, our offense ROLLED!

The offense still has to prove they can score big and without making costly mistakes. The turnovers, the penalties, and the special teams has to improve if were going to make it to the post season.

We have improved every week. I think the coaches will continue to improve this team and that we will correct many of our mistakes. Look at this game compared to ANY game last year... or even our first two games. I like what I see, and I think we have a great chance to win next week in KC.

I'd rather be 4-0 and getting disrespected by the media.

p.s. The Erie Daily Times (ERIE, PA)

The sportswriter John Dudley sucks!

amen but i am proud of our boys i doubt we lose many more games that game was the start of alot of dominating to come i still predict our record to be 11-5 if not better :helmet:

Archived