Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GJS: Cheer against Redskins, for draft’s sake

bubba9497

Cheer against Redskins, for draft’s sake

http://www.gjsentinel.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2005/10/09/10_9_rj_column_9d_WWW.html

The stars are starting to align for the Denver Broncos.

They are playing well on both sides of the ball, having won three games in a row — none of them really easy tasks — and are sitting pretty on top of the AFC West a full game in front of the Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers.

Yes, things are looking up for the Broncos. But it’s not a perfect world. If it were a perfect world for the Broncos, the Washington Redskins would be in a world of hurt right now at 0-3. Instead, they are 3-0, with Joe Gibbs’ team coming up with two unlikely victories in a row, having rallied from a 13-0 deficit with less than three minutes to play in a game to top Dallas 14-13, then managing to eke out a 30-27 overtime victory over Seattle last week.

The Redskins are Denver’s foe today at New Mile High and it is vitally important to the Broncos and their fans that someone, anyone, starts beating the Redskins — and not just for the sake of improving the current standing in the AFC West.

In case you haven’t been paying attention and don’t dwell on remembering the small print in NFL transactions, you might want to know that Denver owns the Redskins’ top pick in the upcoming draft. The Redskins traded a 2005 third-round pick — which the Broncos used to take cornerback Karl Paymah — and next year’s first and fourth round picks for the Broncos’ 2005 first-round pick, which Washington used to take quarterback Jason Campbell.

The Redskins — almost a unanimous pick to be one of the league’s worst teams this season — need to get back to the losing side of things for the Broncos to really come out on top in this trade, to add one of those decade-long superstars that are so rare.

Can you say, “Hello Matt Leinart” or “Welcome Reggie Bush” next spring?

The Broncos could — and should — be sitting very pretty, as in John Elway pretty in Leinart’s case or Clinton Portis pretty in Bush’s case. Either Southern Cal star could be had with an early pick in the draft, depending on team preference. (Bush is a junior who may opt out of his senior year.)

To get either of those two, however, Denver needs in the worst way to start the Redskins on a long slide starting today.

Let’s say the Skins, however, do prove talented enough to finish roughly .500. Denver would have their pick, maybe from 10th to 20th in the draft, then their own pick, usually somewhere in the mid-20s.

There’ll be plenty of offensive linemen Denver might think about adding, the best of which will be D’Brickashaw Ferguson from Virginia or Marcus McNeill from Georgia. Either would fit in quite nicely with the Broncos probably needing to rework their line a bit with the approaching retirement of center Tom Nalen.

Those two linemen are at the top of ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper’s list now, but another six linemen (including two tight ends) are in his top 20 prospects.

One problem Denver might face in looking ahead is the fact that Kiper has no wide receivers among his top 25 prospects. The Broncos definitely could use more speed on the outside, but likely won’t find it through the next draft.

Whatever the bonus selection from the Redskins yields, it’s obvious Bronco fans need to cheer on their team today — and cheer on ’Skin foes the rest of the season.

As for today’s game, I’ll take my 4-0 record picking with or against the Broncos (3-1 against the spread) and say this one comes relatively easily. Denver, a 612-point favorite, will find the Washington defense formidable, but still find a way to score three TDs. Two more Jason Elam field goals and we’ll come up with 27 points.

Denver’s defense will be facing its worst offensive opponent of the season. No way the Redskins score more than 20 points today behind Mark Brunell.

I think back to watching the Dallas Cowboys totally stymie the Redskin offense two weeks ago until they made two terrible mistakes deep in the late going.

Portis, in his return to Denver, won’t be able to consistently move against the Broncos on the ground, and Brunell isn’t consistent enough to move the chains in the short passing game.

Denver’s 27-20 victory will keep them on top in the AFC West (the Chiefs and Raiders have byes this week).

Then we can go about the business of cheering against the Redskins the rest of the season. And, oh yes, it wouldn’t hurt to send out some positive vibes to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday night as they take on the Chargers in San Diego.

Denver, a 612-point favorite, will find the Washington defense formidable, but still find a way to score three TDs.

Dang, I knew the media wasn't buying into our 3-0 start, but I'll sure as hell take the 612 points all the way to the bank!!

As for today’s game, I’ll take my 4-0 record picking with or against the Broncos (3-1 against the spread) and say this one comes relatively easily. Denver, a 612-point favorite, will find the Washington defense formidable, but still find a way to score three TDs. Two more Jason Elam field goals and we’ll come up with 27 points.

Denver’s defense will be facing its worst offensive opponent of the season. No way the Redskins score more than 20 points today behind Mark Brunell.

damn drug use, kills te brain cells :laugh:

worst offensive opponent?

Jacksonville is an offensive Jaggernaut

Miami start Gus "helmet head" Ferrot

Washingons D was the stingest D all last season, giving up oly 12.3 a game this year.... and he expect the Bronco's offense who is worse than the Skins going to hang 27 on US?! :laugh:

Shots at the redskins aside, I think the best point he made in this article was that the Broncos could possibly get REGGIE BUSH. In that system, Bush would be AMAZING. Obviously, I want the redskins to win the superbowl (which would leave the Broncos with the 32nd pick in the draft), but being a fan of great players, i would LOVE for the Broncos to get reggie Bush. That guy is soooo unbelievable.

To get either of those two, however, Denver needs in the worst way to start the Redskins on a long slide starting today.

Yep, there is definitely not enough oxygen in Denver.

There will be no sliding THIS year.

Denver, a 612-point favorite, will find the Washington defense formidable, but still find a way to score three TDs.

Again, with the lack of oxygen.

Blondie

Instead, they are 3-0, with Joe Gibbs’ team coming up with two unlikely victories in a row, having rallied from a 13-0 deficit with less than three minutes to play in a game to top Dallas 14-13, then managing to eke out a 30-27 overtime victory over Seattle last week.

In the journalism world, that's called a major error in fact. If you have a major error in fact in your article at journalism school, you'll magically see 75 points deducted, meaning the best score you can get is a 25 (a big, fat juicy 'F'). Which is what this awful article scored.

damn drug use, kills te brain cells :laugh:

worst offensive opponent?

Jacksonville is an offensive Jaggernaut

Miami start Gus "helmet head" Ferrot

Washingons D was the stingest D all last season, giving up oly 12.3 a game this year.... and he expect the Bronco's offense who is worse than the Skins going to hang 27 on US?! :laugh:

The one element to the equation noone is talking about is the Bronco's propensity to commit penalties.

As seen on this page http://www.nfl.com/matchups/last5/WAS-OVERALL-matchup

The Bronco's "D" is averaging 10 penalties and 76 yards a game in the past 5 games.

We will win this game on a stupid Denver penalty which enables us to kick the game winning field goal. We will win a 16-13 type of game. ;)

That is one condescending insulting article.

If we're 'lucky', we make it to .500

Man - I hope we hang a 'the world is against us' epic beatdown on these guys. I'm guessing theres a lot of talk in the lockerroom about the lack of respect we're getting.

I just don't see what a fan of the Broncos possibly has to be ****y about.

How can anyone look at these two teams objectively and see a huge advantage for Denver?

BTW, WTF is the GJ Sentinel? Must be a pretty high-powered journalist to get a gig at that beat...

In the journalism world, that's called a major error in fact. If you have a major error in fact in your article at journalism school, you'll magically see 75 points deducted, meaning the best score you can get is a 25 (a big, fat juicy 'F'). Which is what this awful article scored.

I see you had the same kind of journalism profs I had, murf. I noticed this gaff as well. What are journalism schools turning out these days? And what sort of half a$$ed fact checkers do these guys use? This one is so easy to find it is ridiculous. :doh:

Well the Broncos could lose the rest of their games to satisy the writer's desire for a top draft pick. So he can root root root against the Broncos all season.

That's the only way they will get it 'cos we're gonna 'root' them over big style today and they won't be the last...

Today will be a breakout game for the O :point2sky

:2cents:

The article is written like a fan, not a journalist. Speaking of incorrect scores, the last time we were in Denver Rod Smith caught a Hail Mary TD. I could swear it was the final play of the game, which would mean a 37-31 loss. Everywhere I look, it says that gme was 38-31. Did we have a chance to field a fick-off?

Back to today's game. Our offense is better than their's statistically... and they are even more simple (Like Clinton said 2 plays, stretch run and boots). I want to see Greg Wiliams blitz more, but probably not this week against a bootleg-loving Denver scheme. (Which makes me ask, why is the coaching staff saying that Lavar might play more this week, this is not the week I'd expect to see him against a mobile QB -- I was thinking next week in KC)?

On Denver: Denver and Shanahan are always over hyped, this team is no exception. they'll finish 9-7 and be one and done in the playoffs, if 9-7 makes it in the AFC. If they're "lucky" they can go 10-6 and win one game in the postseason.

On The Redskins: Any other team and the media would be hyping good D and a team turning the corner (6-2 last 8 games). But they want Dan Snyder to fail. They want this team to fail. Splits or better with the NFC East teams (including the No-D Giants) would give the Skins some credibility, getting one or both against Denver and KC would also help. This is a 10-6 team, that could be two wins better or two wins worse than that depending on injuries, karma, etc. Welcome to Parody. Wish the media would figure it out instead of loving some teams.... em' Dallas who should be 0-4... and knocking others... em' Washington... who will be 4-0!

Archived