Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So all Media gurus have forgotten what

bubba9497

Smash mouth football is all about?

All anyone seems interested in is big stats, high scoring offense... yet ask the Colts, and The Old Chargers.... you may look pretty but you don't get a ring for style points.

Many are doubting the Skins abilities as a team to be successful much longer... but lets examine a few points.

Coach Gibbs.... many have said he has lost a step, and the game has passed him by... yet after last season he stepped back, looked over his roster, look over how teams play, the rule changes etc.... He weeded out the "me first" guys everyone laughed, he built up the OL instead of signing some flashy FA, everyone laughed, He wanted Speed, not size at WR, everyone laughed

but what he did was build a team that can win ...... his way

grind out drive after drive eating the clock, keeping the other team's offense off the field, wearing down their defense, He brought in the Speed guys to make some big plays when needed, because he already had a dominate defense that doesn't give up points.

last season everyone said , if he could get at least a mid-ranked offense on the field we would be in the playoffs... well we are currently ranked #14

The team is becoming disciplined (ask LaVar) focused, fewer penalties, fewer TO's (still needs work)

Two stats that prove more than anything he is got a good team on offense... TOP, and 3rd & 4th down conversions. That means the OL is dominating. we are running the ball, and protecting the QB when it counts, despite seeing 8 & 9 men in the box.

As defenses start backing off to stop Brunell to Moss... the run game will be even better, then you will get defenses off balanced... and everyone will get their much loved stats.

We have a solid foundation.

That's a great point.

Especially when you mention the adage that was spewed by the media all last season. They lived off of their proclamation that an "average" offense would make us contenders. Now we have that (at least to this point)...

You are exactly right. All we heard last year was "wow if the Redskins only had an average offense." Well now we have that and its a fluke. One thing that really bothers me is this. If the Patriots are down 14 and come back in the 4th quarter the media swings from Bradys nuts like a tree squirrel. "The Patriots show the heart of champions." It takes alot of willpower and guts to have been blanked for 3 quarters then come out and hit two big plays when the defense KNOWS what you are about to do. Then we hear all the crap about the Seattle field goal and how it was inches away from winning the game. Well how about the pass to portis that was inches from not being deflected for a interception? We also have a deep threat now. However accoring to the media, he catches lucky passes. :rolleyes:

Give it time, my friends. The media, sports or not, do not lead, they follow. They have truly become "reporters" and reporters only -- they won't pick up on it until it's already painfully onvious to every other living human being. One of my degrees is in journalism and my undergrad mentor used to complain about it all the time and this was 10-12 years ago.

After a few more wins, they'll be writing about the return of Gibbs, smash-mouth football and Moss' similarity to Gary Clark and/or Charlie Brown. They already wrote these articles last year and stuck them in a drawer when it didn't happen. It'll be fun to check them to make sure they've properly updated the copy when they run them in a few weeks.

Soon, we'll be reading about the retrun of our king. Then they'll ride our jocks well past the point where we've taken a step back, only realizing it once its obvious to a blind Polish monkey that we're no good anymore. That's their bag baby.

Until that translates into points they are still going to call the offense below average. The Skins are actually one of the top teams in yards-per-drive but for various reasons that we are all aware of hasn't translated into points yet. The biggest reason IMO is that the Skins are dead last in average drive starting position. We currently are starting our drives on average at the 21. No team is within 2 yards of that. The Bengals average starting position is the 38. How many drives have we had that have stalled around the opponents 40. Quite a few. I've seen speculation that special teams play is the main problem but I don't think that's it at all. IMO it's the fact that we haven't created turnovers to give us a short field.

I've said many times before. They are paid to make points, however ludicrous. If they sat there and objectively scrutinized each NFL team's likely records, it would be dull. With the parity in the NFL, every team is likely to win some games.

Howard Cosell was popular because he took staunch positions. People loved it when he was wrong just as much as when he was right. Its like Stephen A. Smith, he loud and obnoxious and his points are often wrong, but it's entertaining.

I too was sick of hearing how bad the skins would be, but it feels just as good to see them go back on their statements.

Until that translates into points they are still going to call the offense below average. The Skins are actually one of the top teams in yards-per-drive but for various reasons that we are all aware of hasn't translated into points yet. The biggest reason IMO is that the Skins are dead last in average drive starting position. We currently are starting our drives on average at the 21. No team is within 2 yards of that. The Bengals average starting position is the 38. How many drives have we had that have stalled around the opponents 40. Quite a few. I've seen speculation that special teams play is the main problem but I don't think that's it at all. IMO it's the fact that we haven't created turnovers to give us a short field.

You make a good point, I wonder if we cut Antonio Brown too quickly after the fumble -- Thrash and Betts aren't getting it done.

Archived