Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest "D" of all time

Tommy-the-Greek

dido. its the 85 bears, no one had an answer for them that year. they also had a very potent offense and if it wasn't for a cold or flu, they might have even beaten the fins on monday night and been undefeated.

Gee, you didn't even think to include our 91 D. If it weren't for all the garbage time at the end of games after our O blew everybody out, it seems the 91 stats might be even more impressive... Then again, I was overseas that year, and missed all the games :cry: :cry: , so I'm just going on 2nd hand knowledge.

Much as I HATE to say it, what about the 72 No-Name Dolphins a certain GM by the name of Beathard put together. They had this linebacker named Hanburger....

1. '85 Bears

2. '75 Steelers

3. '86 Giants

4. '00 Ravens

5. '71 Cowboys

My list is limited by the following observations:

1. I did not see the early 60's Bears defenses under George Alen nor the mid-60's defenses under Vince Lombardi in person.

2. I am prejudiced towards defenses that went on to shine in big games as well as dominate in the regular season. The 1990 and 1991 Eagles had fine defenses but lost in the wildcard round 17-7 to Washington in '90 and were out of the playoffs in '91. Hard to place a unit with the best when they didn't beat the best in that given season.

3. Since 1993 when free agency was revolutionized it has been almost impossible to keep a defense intact for more than a couple of years. Since you have that roster turnover each season, except for Baltimore in '00, I haven't seen a defense constructed in the modern era that was truly dominant. Coaches have become more and more important as the X factor because talent has become spread so thinly around the NFL. I don't know whether we will see another Ravens type defense again in the near future. For it to happen a team has to have some great draft picks chosen in consecutive years and working on rookie deals and have luck by landing some quality free agents who all work within the limits of the cap and play up to expectations.

Difficult to imagine that happening very often.

3. Since 1993 when free agency was revolutionized it has been almost impossible to keep a defense intact for more than a couple of years. Since you have that roster turnover each season, except for Baltimore in '00, I haven't seen a defense constructed in the modern era that was truly dominant. Coaches have become more and more important as the X factor because talent has become spread so thinly around the NFL. I don't know whether we will see another Ravens type defense again in the near future. For it to happen a team has to have some great draft picks chosen in consecutive years and working on rookie deals and have luck by landing some quality free agents who all work within the limits of the cap and play up to expectations.

Difficult to imagine that happening very often.

If our D line stays healthy, you just might see that happen again this year!!! :cheers: :cheers:

I think that 91 Eagle D was that last one to be #1 across the board vs pass, vs rush, and overall. That was with Brad Geobel and Jeff Kemp at QB (ie no help from the offense.) Randall Cuninngham tore his ACL Week 1 in Green Bay if I remember correctly.

The 86 Giants and 85 Bears at least had some offenses that could take the heat off the D with a little ball control and Qb's that take care of the rock.

It seemed to me that the 85 Bears D was the most intimidating in my 35 years of watching football. You could see the panic in the offensive teams as they were overwhelmed. As good as the other D's were, I believe the Bears stand alone at the top.

1) '85 Bears

2) Steel Curtain

3) '00 Ravens. They set the record for least points allowed in a 16 game schedule, and without Dixon's KO return for a TD in the Super Bowl, they would have maintained that record through 19 games. I don't care how weak your division is, that's purty damn good.

I think tommy's list says it all, though IMHo, not in that order. 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 86 Giants. Notice though, and this really is accurate, no years beside Steel Curtain, #1 . These guys, most of whom played together on the same D for most of the Steeler S.B. years, were tought year in year out. Not just one. I really hated them back then, but man, they were tough year in year out for several years, not just one.

Another vote for the "Steel Curtain of the 1970s". They also had the best commercial with Mean Joe Greene and the kid. The 1985 Bears defense was more of a novelty. Teams caught on and started burning that defense easily by the next season. The best and most consistent defense would have to be the Steel Curtain. Buddy Ryan ran a flawed defense and once people caught on he never adjusted. He even stunk it up as a coach. Go with the Steel Curtain!

Archived