Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Frost Grateful For Second Chance [Groom out]

freakofthesouth

Honestly, I did not see this posted, and it is definitely significant news!

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=9160

Frost Grateful For Second Chance

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

September 26, 2005

Young punters do not usually have an easy go of it in the NFL. Most teams strive for consistency in the punting game and the punters who are most sought-after are those who have the most experience.

For example, Redskins punter Tom Tupa, out for the season with a back injury, is a 17-year veteran who would almost certainly be punting for the Redskins right now if not for his injury.

On Monday, the Redskins opted to make a move at punter, going from one young punter to another. First-year punter Andy Groom was released by the Redskins after playing in two games.

To replace Groom, the team signed Derrick Frost, a second-year punter out of Northern Iowa.

In explaining the move, head coach Joe Gibbs indicated that the team preferred the hang time and distance that Frost's punts provided over Groom's.

"We were fortunate enough to get some rolls," Gibbs said of Groom's punting. "We tried to emphasize last week that we need a better ball for us there. It was just an evaluation thing. We really like Andy, but we just felt like we needed to make a move for the team."

Frost kicked for the Cleveland Browns last season in his first extensive NFL experience. He logged 85 punts for a 40-yard average and a 35.4-yard net average. He hit 24 inside the 20 and had only four touchbacks.

Frost, who lost his job in Cleveland to veteran punter Kyle Richardson, is grateful for the second chance.

Ask him about the punt and he knows exactly what you're referring to: last November, Frost kicked an 8-yard punt out of the end zone in the Browns' nationally televised game against Baltimore last year.

Even though the snap was low, Frost shanked the punt off the side of his foot. The Ravens got the ball at the Browns' 9-yard line and went in for the game-winning touchdown.

That's all in the past, Frost said on Monday at Redskins Park.

"This is a crucial year for me to show people that I can still get it done," Frost said. "As a young guy, when something like that happens, it's kind of a black eye because in this league you are only as good as your worst punt. I am really fortunate that I got another shot. I'm going to make the most of it."

Frost, 24, was surprised that he was able to sign with a team so quickly.

"I had a lot of faith that I was eventually going to sign somewhere," he said. "I knew the Redskins liked me, but I was a little surprised it happened this early. Usually, teams wait until the fourth or fifth week of the year before making a move."

Added Gibbs: "We like Derrick's mental attitude toward things. We did a lot of research on him and [special teams coordinator] Danny Smith liked him. He has experience. We felt like he was somebody who adds something to our team."

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=10639

Kicker John Hall remains uncertain for this Sunday's game against Seattle as he continues to recover from a quad injury.

Hall did not participate in the Redskins' practice on Monday, although he was on the field helping backup kicker Nick Novak and new punter Derrick Frost.

Hall said after practice that he expects to increase his workload in Wednesday's practice.

"We'll see how I feel after that," Hall said.

Head coach Joe Gibbs wants Hall to be at 100 percent before he's activated to play on game day. Gibbs said Hall is day to day with his injury, suffered in the Redskins' Week 1 win over the Chicago Bears.

"John is going to have to come back and kick some for us before we play him," Gibbs said. "He's got to be 100 percent. When you watch somebody kick off, there's so much energy into that, a kicker has to be 100 percent to do it."

Gibbs pointed to Sunday's Oakland-Philadelphia game in which Eagles' kicker David Akers aggravated a hamstring injury on the opening kickoff.

The Eagles had to rely on long snapper Mike Bartrum on kickoffs, while an injured Akers was able to kick two extra points and a short field goal that proved to be the game-winner.

"That could have been disastrous for them," Gibbs said. "With the limited number of players you can activate on game day, you put yourself at risk at a number of positions. Certainly, kicker is one of those spots. It just highlights some of the problems you can have."

If Hall is unable to play, Novak would play in his second NFL game. Against Dallas, he was successful on two PATs.

Newly signed punter Derrick Frost also can kick off if needed, giving the special teams some added flexibility, Gibbs said.

Archived