Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King MMQB Comments on Spurrier

Did anyone post this already?

CARLISLE, Pa. -- I have tried unsuccessfully, but not like a bulldog, to get private time with Steve Spurrier, staking out the rotunda at the dining hall and the back way he comes out of the practice locker room. To no avail. The bottom line is this: Steve Spurrier is tired of people writing about Steve Spurrier. As I interviewed Danny Wuerffel after last Wednesday afternoon's practice, he yelled to me good-naturedly, "Peter! Stop talking to people about me! You guys write about me enough! Write about the players!" We will. Just not now. It's hard to watch Spurrier work and watch him correct players and listen to him parry with the media without thinking, This is Jimmy Johnson all over again. I don't know when he'll win -- this year, next year, 2004. But he'll win, and win big

I agree both coaches had a certain aura and a history of winning football games at schools that had not won before.

but Johnson and Spurrier seem diametrically opposite in terms of personal demeanor and temperament.

Johnson and Spurrier are both delegators, which is a good thing, although Johnson had a reputation as a disciplinarian and a shrewd talent evaluator.

Spurrier hasn't shown the willingness to extend his purview yet beyond the play of the qb and wrs.

We will have to see if he becomes more involved in personnel questions at other spots as it becomes more and more his own team. :)

On the other hand, Johnson was never the best X's and O's guy. The trick is to get assistants to fill in where your talents don't reach, and be able to coordinate the results effectively.

But say it ain't so, King is the kiss of death. "He'll win, and win big" - Arrgghh!

Archived