Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo

OT- 12 of 14 charges against Iverson dropped

Recommended Posts

So it appears Iverson will be charged with only 1 misdemeanor. 13 charges are dropped. He never had a gun. The one witness lied about the gun. The owner of the apt. said that Iverson paid for the apt. and could come and go as he saw fit. I just saw this on this mornings news. I wil try to find a link to the story.

Score a win for Iverson on crazy day

Tuesday, July 30, 2002

PHILADELPHIA - According to the experts inside Room 304 of Philadelphia Municipal Court, an average preliminary court hearing lasts 20-30 minutes.

Allen Iverson's ran nearly 6 1/2 hours yesterday, without more than a 15-minute break as the morning stretched into late afternoon.

That should tell you this wasn't your typical day in court.

Try Our Classifieds

Long before Judge James M. DeLeon officially threw out of all but one of the 14 charges against both Allen Iverson and his uncle, Gregory Iverson, in conjunction with allegations that on July 3 at 2:30 a.m. they broke into the West Philadelphia apartment belonging to Iverson's cousin, Shaun Bowman, and physically threatened the two occupants inside the premises, you knew this wasn't business as usual.

Or as Assistant District Attorney Charles Ehrlich, pleaded on several occasions to the bench, "Why are the rules different today?"

"I tried to look at the totality of the case," Judge DeLeon explained moments after issuing his ruling, which allowed only the two counts of terroristic threats (a misdemeanor) against just-turned-18-year-old Hakim Carey and 21-year-old Charles Jones to proceed to trial.

"It wasn't the type of case that you could send a person to jail. I didn't look at the credibility of the witnesses. I don't know what goes through these guys' minds. I can only look at the testimony."

The testimony was mesmerizing at times, particularly when Allen Iverson's lead attorney, Richard A. Sprague, systematically took apart Carey, then Jones in cross-examination over the chain of events during the time Iverson came to the apartment while searching for his wife, Tawanna, and subsequent to his departure.

Sprague was relentless questioning Jones' motives in waiting more than 10 hours from the time of the alleged confrontation before he dialed 911, detailing a number of calls Jones made on a cell phone he claimed was a gift from a man he knew only by his first name.

Jones was quickly discredited. He first maintained he was not seeking any financial considerations to drop charges, then reluctantly was forced to concede he had spoken to a lawyer specializing in personal injury cases for 21 minutes only moments before he finally called the police. From then on, it seemed only a matter of time before the court would rule in Iverson's favor.

The ruling didn't sit well with Ehrlich.

"We tried to argue that a lot of questions being asked were inappropriate for a preliminary hearing," said a disappointed Ehrlich, who indicated the D.A.'s office will now evaluate the decision before deciding how to proceed. "This was not a trial or a lot of other evidence would've been introduced ... It was turned into a trial by the rulings of the judge."

Through six hours of conflicting testimony between the two lead witnesses, it was hard to believe a jury would have bought their stories had this gone to trial. Carey's initial response when he realized it was Allen Iverson knocking on his door at 2:30 in the morning, was to go get a pen and paper for an autograph.

Later, when he was left alone in the front with Gregory Iverson while Allen was talking with Jones in the back room, he revealed that the two shared a cigarette. As Gregory's attorney, Guy R. Sciolla, quickly pointed out that's not exactly the kind of thing you do with someone you fear.

That's how it went for Carey over the 2 1/2 hours he was on the stand. After initially telling police he saw Allen Iverson display a gun at some point during the ordeal, he admitted under oath he couldn't really distinguish a gun.

But Carey said he "went along" when Jones told him to tell police he had seen the gun, in effect, lying. Carey further admitted this was not the first time he'd lied at the request of Jones.

Later, Jones refuted both claims, saying he had not asked Carey to make up the story about seeing a gun and had never previously asked him to lie. Score another one for the defense.

Through it all, Allen Iverson sat placidly, rarely turning his head to look around. Wearing a white Cru-Thik T-shirt, a reference to a group from his hometown of Hampton, Va. he sat quietly.

There was no need to speak. When the judge declared he was dropping all but the terroristic threats charges - saying he was concerned that this ordeal had made Carey fear for his safety from Iverson supporters seeking reprisal - there was no outburst of joy from the Iverson camp.

It was as if they already knew the "game" was over and this was the equivalent to the NBA's "garbage time."

"You saw Mr. Sprague in action," said the judge, speaking with the media after he lifted a gag rule on both sides. "You saw the end result.

"This was a hard-fought case on both sides. The high-powered attorneys did their job, which is what they're supposed to do. That prosecutor (Ehrlich) is one of the top prosecutors in the city. Charles Ehrlich did not back down."

But it was apparent almost from the start, and especially after DeLeon opened the door for Sprague and Sciola, giving them great latitude to extensively probe the witnesses, that the Commonwealth was fighting a losing battle.

Six hours later, at the end of day filled with some levity, frustration and yet fascination watching the process at work - as tedious as if often was at times - the judge made it official.

So it's not even time for the start of training camp, but already Allen Iverson has wrapped up his biggest victory of the year.

Only time will tell, at what cost. NOTE: Jon Marks is a Times staff writer.

» Send This Page | » Print This Page

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What really ticks me off is when this story broke it was everywhere. This morning trying to find a link I had to go to my hometown paper to get it. This story isn't running on the major outlets yet. They are so quick to condemn but they take there sweet time printing the charges were dropped.

Brave sounds like he really was innocent. The guy who started this wanted money from Iverson.

He waited 10 hours to call 911. Then he spoke with a lawyer for 21 minutes to see if he could get any money before he called the police and he asked the other guy to lie and said he saw a gun. He was so afraid of Iverson but smoked a cigarette with him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Iverson is a punk A$$. I have known him since he was 7. He played rec league with my brother, and would have graduated the same year as my brother if he wasn't in prison. He dealt drugs all through high school and had many run ins with teachers and such that were covered up. (eg; punched a teacher in face his soph year).

And contrary to the reports we always hear, he did not live in the getto all his life. Since middle school, he lived with the high school basketball coach Mike Bailey in one of the nicer areas of the city. (his mother was never anywhere to be found, it's funny how she is such a part of his life now.)

He is, bottom line, a crappy person.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...