Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN's cowboys love is getting old....fast

NoCalMike

Well for the moment it is just the website from ESPN that is getting very lame, but I just don't want to have to watch NFL Gameday/Primetime/Edge Matchup...etc......constantly praise and predict the cowboys to do great things. Are they better than last year? Probobaly. Are they really gonna be THAT good this year? I seriously doubt it.

It will only make that Turkey moister and tastier come Thanksgiving.

Tell it Tommy! Thanksgiving day turky with a side order of roast Cowpoke. Yum.

BTW, how is your back? Feeling better I hope. The verdict is in on my neck. I go in August 20 for surgury to fuse two discs. The good news is I should be out that day but I will have to wear a hard neck brace for 6 to 8 weeks then a soft brace for another month. It sucks but it's better than taking the chance of loosing the use of my right arm or worse. At least I will have a good excuse for sitting around the house and watching football.:laugh:

I don't really understand all the hype their getting either. Why aren't we getting the same hype? If you look at it, they have pretty much the same strengths and question marks we do.

Their QB situation is probably determined unlike ours, but what the heck has Quincy Carter done? QB seems to be the Skins main question mark, but we're pretty solid everywhere else on offense except the interior of the OL. Who's to say Shane Matthews won't become the next Trent Dilfer, Jim Miller or Tom Brady by coming out of nowhere? I'm not saying he will, but you never know.

You know Spurrier will max out the ability of his offense as well and may even get them to play above their heads. The guy is an offensive genius.

Both teams D's are supposed to be strengths as well.

What I take from all this is that Dallas is OVERRATED and Washington is UNDERRATED b/c on paper they look fairly similar.

HTTR!!

KENNY, et al.

A couple of years back the skins were getting all the head lines because of all the off season signings and draft, etc.....they were givning the skins the superbowl trophy and were making bets on the point difference in the super game......you couldn't go anywhere on the internet and not see the skins some where...so now they are not the media darlings....why because snyder's act got a little old, fire one hre another, fire one and hire another....its nothing new.....everyone is in love with spurrier so that brings the skins to the news but other than that there isn't much else....

on the Offensive side of the ball, not only the skins have question marks on the interrior of the line, but also at WR. None of the recievers are anything to write home about since they arrived in the league and everyone is hoping that the old spurrier system will wake them up...and we keep reading that gardner doens't fit the spurrier system.....plus the TE and FB spots are also question marks but we won't get in to those since according to most those two spots don't matter in spurrier offense.

and then there is the QB issue, do yu seriously belive that a rotating QB can work in the NFL like it did in UF? can mathews , aweful and rosenfels succeed? I think the skins are in a worse situation than the cowboys... as much as you want to put Carter down, he did win 3 games last eyar, had better ratings than vick an weineke and every where you read, they say he has made great improvements....what else can y ou ask a second year QB?

so this year the cowboys are media darlings....live with it

Shawn,

'A couple years back' the Skins were the defending division champs adding a lot of high-profile players, not some two-time 5-11 cellar-dwellar.

At least the Redskins had actually done something then. They had pro-bowlers at the QB and RB spots on the #2 offense in the league already in place, and were within one point from the NFC Championship game before adding anyone.

This year's Cowboys, on the other hand, have a gaping hole at QB, an ancient RB, noone at either corner spot, and a couple overrated, overpayed, injury prone old men at WR. The Cowboys have proven nothing, earned nothing. They just had a decent offseason, and already Cowboy fans are coming out of the woodwork to accept the division crown. It is absolutely amazing how quickly that bandwagon of yours fills up as soon as there is a mere possibility of not sucking.

So congrats, I guess. Your fair-weather fans are back. No doubt you are very proud. :rolleyes:

This will be the year we do not get swept by those darn Cowboys.

We should be in better shape this year and we do not play them until the last half of the season, when all the pieces will come together.

Thanksgiving day game will be a game that will show what kind of DEFENSE we really have.

Dallas is in trouble and they don't even know it yet!

shawn- Wow, Quincy Carter won a whole 3 games! WOW! Didn't Shane Matthews win 3 games or so with the Bears last year before he got hurt and Jim Miller took over?

As far as our offensive personnel is concerned, we agree on our interior OL being a weak spot, but our WR core is underrated. Rod Gardner had a very solid rookie year and if his hands improve, he could have a 1,000 yard season. Heck, he had almost 800 yards last year(his rookie year) while having a bad case of the dropsies in Marty's conservative offense. That's not too shabby!

I don't think the system matters really with Gardner as I think he could be even better in a system like Spurrier's which could make him a stud for years to come. Jacquez Green fits the system as you say and could finally reach his potential. He has impressed during workouts this offseason.

As for TE and FB, their not as important in "BALLCOACH's" system.

As for QB, I didn't say anything about a rotating QB. I said Shane Matthews could have a breakout year. Then again he may not but there's always a chance it could happen. The last 3 SB champion QB's came out of nowhere you know. I believe Matthews will be the #1 guy, and with Ramsey holding out it's pretty much a lock.

But Henry said it best, as the Skins were coming off being 1 point short of the NFC title game in 1999. What the heck did the boys do last year? I could see Philly maybe getting a lot of hype, but Dallas? I just think you got to earn the hype and I wouldn't call going 5-11 earning it.

HTTR!!

Shawn,

the fact remains that in his games last year for Chicago Shane Matthews showed a lot more on the field than Carter did for the Cowboys.

did Carter throw for 357 yards as Matthews did and lead two second half comebacks?

then you ask yourself which player is likely to make a greater impact this season. well, in my mind, the greatest difference is that Matthews is now back in a system he is very comfortable running and with a coach he is familiar.

That to me is worth more than a couple of points in passer rating come the end of the season :)

As far as the Dallas hype goes, yes the Cowboys picked Roy Williams and had higher picks than the Skins, etc....so they garnered more press for them.

But part of this was because past drafts had been so poor that by comparison 2002 seemed like a bonanza :)

There were no Dwayne Goodrichs or Kareem Larrimores. Instead there were solid picks like Williams and Gurode at the top of the order.

But even taking those two players into consideration, I seriously doubt they are going to have the same effect coming into the NFL that Arrington and Samuels have.

The Redskins got a lot of press in 2002 for some free agent signings but also because they had the #2 and #3 picks in the entire draft.

How many times does one team have two such high picks? Not often.

And by the pro bowl votes for both players in just their second seasons last year, it would appear as if the hype for them was well-placed :laugh:

We will see how lofty the heights are for Williams and Gurode down the line. :)

Archived