Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HA! Westbrook hurt already

Beaudry

If surgery needed, Westbrook could be out a month

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SportsTicker

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Wide receiver Michael Westbrook, who signed with the Cincinnati Bengals earlier in the month, suffered a broken left wrist in training camp Sunday.

Westbrook completed practice with the injury, but X-rays disclosed the fracture. If surgery is required, Westbrook would likely miss at least a month.

The Bengals signed Westbrook to a three-year contract on July 2 and waived receiver Darnay Scott.

Westbrook, 30, spent his first seven seasons with the Washington Redskins after being selected fourth overall in the 1995 draft.

Last season, the 6-3, 221-pound Westbrook had 57 catches for 664 yards and four touchdowns. He started every game, making a complete comeback from a torn left ACL that sidelined him for most of the 2000 season.

In 79 career games, Westbrook has 277 receptions for 4,280 yards and 24 touchdowns.

Westbrook was fined $50,000 by the Redskins for assaulting teammate Stephen Davis in training camp in 1997.

Westbrook was fined $50,000 by the Redskins for assaulting teammate Stephen Davis in training camp in 1997.

Interesting how that little tidbit is still coming up. It's amazing how some stuff sticks with a player.

As far as his injury goes, I bear no ill will towards MW. But I am glad we didn't re-sign him only to have this happen.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Those Westy fans must be crying in their capo.

The guy should be called rice crispies because its like every year there is a snap, crackle or pop

That is a great line.....

I almost fell outa my chair laughing at that one!

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

It's hard for me to believe that SD and Westbroke could have ever reconciled after that incident. If I was SD, I would never talk to the guy again. I'm surprised there weren't longer lasting reprecussions on the team.

I'll tell you why they reconciled. After that incident Westbrook seemed to go out of his way to make blocks for Davis during a game. I can recall numerous times that Davis gained extra yards or even a touchdown thanks to the efforts of Westbrook's blocking downfield. And Davis always seemed ready to give props to Michael after those plays.

That incident was way overblown in my book. There are scuffles each year among teammates and rarely is one given the attention that one received. For instance, who here knew of Gardener and McDuffe before this recent interest in Garderner? I suspect the difference is because most fights between teammates during practice is not caught on film. Unfortunately for Westbrook, his was.

Anybody that finds humor or satisfaction in MW's or any other players injury is pathetic. Consider yourself in the same category as the fans that cheered the strecther at the vet when Irvin went down.

WE chose not to resign Westbrook, not the other way around. So stop acting as if he deserved it.

BTW, I'm sick of hearing about how Lavar endend Aikman's career. Lavar blew up on a reporter that brought up the hit and asked him how it made him feel to put a longtime rival out of a career.

I am a diehard Skins fan and I want to defeat every team on the field. I would rather beat a team, healthy, no excuses, their best against our best. Injuries happen, but let's not glorify them.

Alright, that's as serious as I'll ever be on this board. Sorry to ramble, I really think I need to get a beer.:pint:

I don't think that many of us find Westbrook's injury itself funny, but you can't deny the irony in the situation. It certainly is confirmation that the front office showed good judgement in not offering him a new contract. I supported Westbrook longer than most, but let's face it, he never ingratiated himself with the fans here. You could put up with his aloofness and other quirks if he was producing insane numbers on the field, but you can only go so far on potential. All he really became is another first-round bust, and God knows Redskins fans have had their fill of those.

Attention Bengals fans - You're travelling through another dimension, a dimension not only of catching and running but of unfulfilled promise; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of frustration. That's the signpost up ahead--your next stop, the Westbrook Zone...

He was a disaster while he was here if he wasn't hurt he was doing something stupid, the SD incident then there was the time he had a fit after he made a play(rare incident) and pulled his helmet off while on the field(15 yd penalty) Screw him, he was a major disappointment for such a high draft pick.

Archived