Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey Skins...Buckle up!

norm

you are in for a heck of a ride. As a long time gator (and skin) some of the posts I am reading here, while understandable, are funny to me. You will understand why over time, but soak up the years of SOS that are ahead of you. You see, this guy does not look at himself as "an employee" of the the team, he is one of you. He views things as your a skin or your against us. And he really believes it. I love this about him and soon you will too. Every week, more non-skins will come to hate you because SOS ran up the score or did other things that "are not supposed to be done". It will infuriate the rest of the NFL that his non-traditional approach to the game works.

The things you guys are saying here sounds like us gators 12 years ago. (ie. yea, he won at Duke, but this is the SEC!) Don't worry about the personel. You guys will come to learn that the strongest arm and best practice player does not work very often in SOS's system. His system is predicated on making quick decisions on a read -- Danny and Shane were never good practice players at UF but come game time -well you know the rest. We always had stong armed QB's at UF that looked great on paper and in practice, but could not operate the system come game time. Shane and Danny are tough, accurate and smart. As for the recievers, Doering, Quez and Riedel were every bit as good, if not better than Hillard, W. Jackson and Travis Taylor. (all uf recievers who currently excel for other NFL teams)Unfornutaely, these guys got burried under a bad system. Trust me, all of these guys can play -- especially in this system. Don't fall into that NFL trap that the biggest and strongest guys are the best. Just wait.

Enjoy these years. SOS brings with him an air of invincibility and it seeps to his players and the fans. Over the next few years, the Skin Nation will be stonger and closer than ever - with an us against the world attitude you will love. A writer for the Atlanta Journal Constitution once wrote about Spurrier that he could have his hand tied with guns aimed, ****ed and loaded, and he would still be a three point favorite to escape at his own execution.

Finally, don't believe some of the bad things people in the media write about him. Listen to his words yourself- as they are frequently taken out of context-if not misquoted altogether. As you will see, because he does not kiss the butts of "media boys" they sometimes hammer him. In reality, he is a very nice guy, who is just copetitive on the field. He routinely gave large amounts of $ to charities, ect. Has a great long time wife and large family. Remember, this guy is one of you and wants to win worse than you do. He will coach, never out of fear, but out of supreme confidence that a TD is one play away. He is never afraid to fail and as a result, anything can happen at any time.

Enjoy the ride and soak up every second of it - trust me - you are in for the most exciting and fun football seasons of your life.

Thanks for the slap on the back, Norm. We're all excited about Spurrier already. From the first minute of his first press conference when he spoke of giving Snyder a game ball after beating the hated Cowboys he's gone a long way toward endearing himself to Skin fans far and wide.

It's gonna be a wild, fun ride but I'm looking forward to it. After a decade of mediocre football (at best) I'm ready for the shot in the arm Spurrier seems capable of delivering.

Ready for another Lombardi trophy, too.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

I can honestly say in all my years as a Redskins fan (since 1987 when I was 6) I have never been so excited about a season. I am even more excited then before the 2000 season. But alas I will miss it all as I will be studying in Europe this fall :high:

If you're asking if I find chunky milk comforting, no. :) But for some reason I recall drinking milk that my mom heated up on the stove as a kid. Did anybody else, or do I just come from a dysfunctional family and my mother was trying to kill me? :laugh:

Norm - glad you found your way here as I did. I've echoed the same thing around here. It has been a great 12 years for us at UF, but as a Skins fan since birth - the years since Gibbs left have been painful.

Call me a fanatic, but I actually wore black the entire weekend after SOS resigned from UF. Anyone from the GatorNation will understand that it was like a sudden death in the family. My pain was only removed when he actually became coach of the Skins. I had a glimmer of hope it would happen, but didn't think it would. It was an unbelievable feeling of excitement. It was like a breath of life was put back into the team that was dead for so long.

Even if we aren't successful, which I know we will be, the games will be exciting and fun to watch again. The past few years were about as exciting as a root canal even when we won.

We will be hated, we will be feared. Get used to it and love it!!!! :cool:

Originally posted by amsterdamgator

Eye and Norm are you bigger gator fans or Skin fans?

just curious?

I was born during a Skins game (my Dad never lets me forget) in Md. I have been a Skins fan since birth. I moved to Florida when I was young but remained a loyal Skins fan. I got into arguments at school because I wore my Redskin shirts to school every day during the week before the Super Bowl in 1983 when we played the Dolphins. I always caught a lot of flack for rooting for the Skins instead of the 'home' team.

I went to college at UF and have been a fan since 1984. I am equally fanatic about Gator football, but maybe a little more so because I had season tickets and was able to go to the games for for about 14 years. With the success of UF since SOS's arrival and the downturn of the Skins since Gibbs left, it's been hard to be as enthusiastic, but I have have renewed vigor with SOS's arrival in DC. With Zook manning the helm up in G'ville, I think the glory days at UF are over. Part of what made us successful was the mysitique that surrounds SOS and with that gone, the invicibilty is significantly diminished.

So basically I'm equally crazy. :D

I think it has been apparent that Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer were outcoached on the field at times during their tenures.

And after the Gibbs years, that is especially hard to take as even when the Skins lost it was usually a superior team physically like the '85 Bears or '86 Giants that were the victors.

We rarely lost to evenly matched or lesser teams. :)

It would be nice to see an Arizona or Minnesota come into Fedex and know they were going to be in for a long afternoon from both the fans and the team.

At RFK, you could see teams come out of the tunnel and react to the crowd noise.

It took a lot of guys out of their games.

In 1991 the Redskins totally devastated the Detroit Lions 45-0 in the opener and I never saw a football team that was more scared of an opponent.

They just didn't want to play us. You could see it.

The fans were rocking and the team was scoring on offense, special teams and defense. :)

Did Shane or Danny know the system before they got to Florida?

It took SS what 1-2 years to teach it to them? Sage and Ramsey are both 23, if SS can teach them the system and by the way they arent dummies, I would much rather have one of them or a rotation of them starting. This means we would have 2 nice Qb's for 10 years. How many years do the gator boys have left in them?

Originally posted by tommy-the-greek

Did Shane or Danny know the system before they got to Florida?

It took SS what 1-2 years to teach it to them? Sage and Ramsey are both 23, if SS can teach them the system and by the way they arent dummies, I would much rather have one of them or a rotation of them starting. This means we would have 2 nice Qb's for 10 years. How many years do the gator boys have left in them?

You can teach someone the system, but reacting and executing the reads is largely a skill. Some QBs are good at it (Danny and Shane) while others aren't.

Great post, Norm. Well said. We should all be as optimistic about the future, just chill and watch it unfold.:cool:

I remember that 45-0 game very clearly, bulldog. We had recently moved to Beaumont and were trying to adapt to our new surroundings. The neighbors across the street worked for Mobil and had also moved recently to the area from Fairfax. They were large Skins fans, too. What a season.:):D

"You can teach someone the system, but reacting and executing the reads is largely a skill. Some QBs are good at it (Danny and Shane) while others aren't." - Gatoreye

What leads us to believe that Sage isn't good at it either? For two QBs who have proven nothing in the NFL, except that they're good benchwarmers, that's high praise.

Shane and Danny are notorious for having weak arms and less than polished physical skills, but decent mental games. Sage has the former, but the latter needs a little polishing.

Seeing as though Danny and Shane are getting up there in age, and they are already familiar with the system, I'd like to see the ball coach spend the majority of his time with Sage during camp. He can give him a superb mental game to go along with his physical tools. Then we'd have a quality starter on our hands, and the gators would be relegated to backup duties. (One on another team).

I just hope SS isn't biased in favor of the gators. He very well may be, in a subconcious sort of way.

Like I said, Sage is younger, stronger, bigger, more mobile, etc. He just needs polishing on his mental game, whereas the gators have had years of polishing on their physical game to no avail.

Sage may not be the starter on day one, but then again, he very well may be. Who the hell knows.

Archived