Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question for the board

Nerm

I was talking about the Skins with some of my friends today and this question came up.

Do players around the league want to play for the Skins?

It seems that there have been some complaints (Jansen) about how Danny is running things. Do you guys think that the Skins are a team that a lot of players are looking to play for or are most FAs just worried about the cash?

i'd say most are worried about the cash. i think we may be on our way to being a team that FA's gravitate to due to our coaching staff (especially if lewis sticks around for more than the year) and system. i want to get back to the level where players who are looking for a ring think "washington" first.

I think we're about average, except for players who Spurrier has coached. The negatives are perceptions of Snyder and our dismal post-1991 record. The positives are the D.C. fan base/team tradition, D.C. as a town, and the personal reputations of Marvin Lewis and Spurrier (though Spurrier also makes some players wary).

I expect us to be above average next offseason, after wariness about Spurrier goes away, and after good reports about team chemistry / coaching atmosphere leak out to the rest of the NFL. Having a winning record this season would obviously help. So would stability in the coaching ranks.

It's mostly cash, obviously, but a lot of players seem to really like it here. Gardener for example, has cancelled trips to St. Louis and Cincy because he's decided Washington is the place that he wants to be.

After players go to dinner with Snyder and whatnot, they always seem to be really positive about the team, coaching staff, ownership, etc.

The man has charisma, especially seeing as though he's able to lure the top-tier coaches and players to the team.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

After players go to dinner with Snyder and whatnot, they always seem to be really positive about the team, coaching staff, ownership, etc.

The man has charisma, especially seeing as though he's able to lure the top-tier coaches and players to the team.

Agreed, OrangeSkin -- but that's assuming the players get as close as dinner with Snyder.

The original question was, "Do players around the league want to play for the Skins?"

I think around the league, and especially in the media, Snyder is disliked. Players get over that when they meet the man. But some players may never meet the man, and thus never change their opinion.

LaVar hadn't met snyder when he made it clear he wanted to be a Redskin. I think we are a fairly attractive team .. we haven't attracted the most successful free agents in recent years but we have drawn them to us .. whether or not it was for monetary reasons. The players seem to love the atmosphere Spurrier offers, and if it leads to success, I think people will want to come to Washington.

Agreed Atlanta Skins Fan,

Once people get to know the real man, Snyder, they seem to have a great outlook on him as a person and the Redskins as a team. This goes to show you that you cannot believe everything you read or hear(WTEM) or see on television. Snyder has been hammered by the media since he came to Washington. It will be interesting to see how winning will change all of that nonsense. Winning cures all ills and the Redskins are ready to win! If you had to fill a couple hours of a sports show every night it would be easy to just play the Snyder card and make fun of him to kill some time! What a bunch of geeks over at WTEM!

Actually, the Redskins have had a very good record of attracting and bringing in free agents. I think the money rep, fascilities etc has worked to the 'skins benefit. We have had much more difficulty keeping our own. I don't know if that's due to overinflated sense of value on the side of the ex-player, coaching instability, mediocre to losing seasons, or management believing that the grass is always greener. I do want to get to a point where the biggest issue is keeping our own, rather than patching holes. i think we are getting close. The big concerns now seem (at least from fan perspective) evenly split between finding a guard/tackle and extending Jansen/Bailey.

I've heard both positives and negatives out of Jansen. Interestingly, the first negative quote came immediately after a report that the Redskins and his agent made extention overtures, which makes me wonder if the complaint was part of a negotiating tactic.

Archived