Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier's (lack of) influence on personnel issues

I know we all heard the drill when Spurrier was hired. He wouldn't play GM, he'd just concentrate on coaching, and even with coaching, he'd just concentrate on QBs and receivers.

During the draft, it was obvious that Spurrier was out of the loop. The only guy he seemed to want, Donte Stallworth, the team didn't get. Snyder and Mendes drafted a QB that Spurrier hadn't even worked out. That took a while to digest -- I'm optimistic about Ramsey, but I really didn't like Spurrier's apparent non-involvement in his acquisition.

Then the free agents. Trotter, great. Armstead, great. Wynn, great. Gardener (assuming he's acquired), great if cheap. That's a lot of cash for the D, which was already the strength of the team.

On the offense, Spurrier gets his Gator receiver free agents at the vet minimum, Gillespie as an UDFA, Wuerffel for a sack of potatoes, has Ramsey thrust on him, and gets Matthews after Spurrier says he doesn't need him.

As spring rolls on, Spurrier wonders aloud if maybe the team will get another receiver -- specifically, Willie Jackson. Jackson says he's interested. But then Jackson signs with Atlanta for a broken-down Pinto and free coffee at Starbucks.

Spurrier needs three new starting offensive lineman. The team supplies . . . exactly zero players who are recognized as NFL starters in their positions. We do get some pretenders and conversion projects, all at the NFL minimum. We get a borderline tackle from the Rams, who's told he's supposed to play guard. We get a guard from the Colts, who's told he's supposed to play center (at least he's played that before). Then we get some backups who are told they may be starters (Loverne, Vickers & Co.).

Don't get me wrong -- I think Dan Snyder is a great owner, and I think he's learning from some early mistakes. I also see a sound philosophy at work here:

1. Strong defense wins championships

2. Defenses require top athletes more than offenses, which require top coaching and stability

So Snyder spent $25 million on Spurrier and figured the coach would get the offense to work based mainly on coaching. Snyder spent most of his salary cap on the D, which was the right direction for dollar emphasis.

I just think this philosophy is being executed to extremes, with almost *no* dollars being spent on the offense. Losing out on Willie Jackson was ridiculous, considering his incremental dollars were negligible. Not picking up Ray Brown is getting suicidally stupid. The Redskins may yet get him, but they will be lucky to do so -- he should have been signed elsewhere by now.

I'm also starting to get the feeling that Snyder and Spurrier aren't talking as much as they should, or if they are talking, Snyder's not hearing correctly. Maybe Spurrier's getting too folksy in his requests:

"You know, Dan, it sure would be great if we could pick up Willie Jackson. But we've got 10 receivers, so if it doesn't work out, no big deal -- the guys we've got'll be ready."

I hope Snyder remembers that though he may have spent $25 million on Spurrier, and though Spurrier may be a brilliant coach and motivator to his players, Spurrier doesn't actually play for the Redskins. We need 11 - 13 top guys on offense, and we're coming up short. We also need the *right* guys on offense, so please get on the same page with Spurrier.

Do you think Steve had no influence when he brought in Jacquez Green, Chris Doering, Reidel Anthony, Shane Matthews, and Danny Wuerffel? I seriously doubt Snyder, Ceratto and Mendes were all sitting around laughing maniacally and saying, "hmmm...how about we pick up every former Gator we can possibly find?"

Perhaps Steve didn't even WANT Willie Jackson. Perhaps he's more knowledgable about his former players and his system than we are... nahhhhhh.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Do you think Steve had no influence when he brought in Jacquez Green, Chris Doering, Reidel Anthony, Shane Matthews, and Danny Wuerffel? I seriously doubt Snyder, Ceratto and Mendes were all sitting around laughing maniacally and saying, "hmmm...how about we pick up every former Gator we can possibly find?"

Perhaps Steve didn't even WANT Willie Jackson. Perhaps he's more knowledgable about his former players and his system than we are... nahhhhhh.

I didn't say Spurrier didn't want the Gator receivers -- I just noted that the team didn't pay anything for them. At the vet minimum, they were essentially free.

My point is that the team isn't spending *any* money on the offense. I agree that *more* money should be spent on D, but the team is being too extreme about this. As Jackson showed, paying just a bit over the vet minimum can often swing a pretty good player in this market. The Redskins basically haven't done that for their offensive player acquisitions.

Spurrier did mention on several occasions after the draft and even after June 1 possibly picking up another WR, and seemed to be interested in Jackson. Having made the mistake of talking about Matthews previously (and causing the Bears to try to extort a trade), I didn't expect Spurrier to make a public campaign for Jackson, which would only undermine the team bargaining position. With 10 receivers in camp, for Spurrier to admit he was even thinking of bringing in another receiver spoke volumes about his opinion of the current crew.

Of course, there's always the possibility that Spurrier wasn't that high on signing Jackson but expressed interest so that his former player would have a good bargaining position with other teams.

I still think Jackson ended up where he wanted to be the whole time - close to Gainesville and on a team where he's the #1 guy.

I'm gonna remember this thread when in a year or two the Skins are spending money on the offense on legitimately talented players and the fans are crying that SOS is ignoring the defense.

Face it guys, there were better players to be had on the defensive side of the ball. Spending "real money" on the offensive side of the ball last year would have been the panic thing to do. Does Spurrier have all the parts this year? Absolutely not. Is Willie Jackson a significant upgrade over Jacquez Green? Not in the eyes of the HBC.

Originally posted by RiggoDrill

.... and if the Patriots and Ravens can win SB's with mediocre QBs, non-dominant OLs, and re-treads on offense, who's to say we can't.

I think this is the wrong mentality. This is the mentality that has every fan of a sub .500 team saying "If the Pats and Ravens can do it so can we!" Why cant the Lions or Panthers win this year?

A great D is a big plus, but you still need playmakers on O. The NFL is way too watered down but its still a good idea to get an O that can score points.

ASF - Players spout out lists of about 26 teams pertaining to whom they're visiting, interested in, etc. to gain leverage in negotations with their core teams of interest. That's probably what Jackson did with us. And seeing as though we had picked up a buttload of former UF Florida wideouts, it seemed like a nice fit. So other teams became more interested, and he eventually signed with the Falcons.

SS probably heard Jackson talking about the 'Skins, so he was like, "yeah, whatever. I'll sign whoever," even though he wasn't actually interested. He HAD to give an answer if the press asked him about it.

I could be totally wrong (although I doubt it :) ), but I don't think either party was that interested in each other.

Nerm - The difference between the Patriots/Ravens and the Panthers/Lions is that the former teams had unproven players step up. It was pure luck. Troy Brown, David Patten, who had heard of them? Tom Brady?

Same with the Ravens. Trent Dilfer had a solid year with such acclaimed wideouts as Brandon Stokely and Quadry Ismail. The Ravens had one of the greatest defenses of all-time, and the Patriots used bargain basement FAs and a brilliant D-coordinator to their advantage.

It IS true in today's day and age that any team has a chance to win. Had the Lions and Panthers been lucky with their players last year, they could've made a run. Instead of having sucky players play above their heads, they just sucked.

ASF,

I agree with the general tone of your post. D wins championships and needs "better" athletes. But I think that Danny is enamored with the success he had last year picking up Szott, Campbell and Coleman after 6/1 and into camp. They've got to be watching the waiver wire and keeping an eye on Ray Brown. Hopefully, there will be an addition to the OLine SOON! :coach:

HTTR,

Originally posted by PediGator

Face it guys, there were better players to be had on the defensive side of the ball. Spending "real money" on the offensive side of the ball last year would have been the panic thing to do. Does Spurrier have all the parts this year? Absolutely not. Is Willie Jackson a significant upgrade over Jacquez Green? Not in the eyes of the HBC.

You're not listening to my arguments.

I'm not suggesting spending "real" money (i.e., Trotter and Wynn league) on offensive players. I am endorsing the priority for spending on defense.

What I am advocating on offense is that the Redskins spend a *little* over the vet minimum if necessary for key spots. Namely, Willie Jackson, Ray Brown and possibly Ben Coleman.

As for whether Jackson is better than Green, I never said that. I expect Green to be the most productive receiver for the team. I happen to think Jackson is better than the other nine receivers, but even if you put Gardner at #2, that still puts Jackson no worse than #3.

Bruce Smith farts out more extra cash in an average week than would be necessary in incremental dollars to sign the players I'm advocating.

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

You're not listening to my arguments.

I'm not suggesting spending "real" money (i.e., Trotter and Wynn league) on offensive players. I am endorsing the priority for spending on defense.

What I am advocating on offense is that the Redskins spend a *little* over the vet minimum if necessary for key spots. Namely, Willie Jackson, Ray Brown and possibly Ben Coleman.

As for whether Jackson is better than Green, I never said that. I expect Green to be the most productive receiver for the team. I happen to think Jackson is better than the other nine receivers, but even if you put Gardner at #2, that still puts Jackson no worse than #3.

Bruce Smith farts out more extra cash in an average week than would be necessary in incremental dollars to sign the players I'm advocating.

I agree ASF. When I look at the Trotter signing I just dont get it. He is a very good player and an upgrade, but what else could have been had for that cash. Newberry - pro bowl center + a starting guard + Jackson (although I would have taken Westbrook over him). I dont know what all of these guys signed for but you may have been able to resign Coleman and, if Danny thinks the Skins are real contenders, a guy like Chandler at QB.

I dont understand the Skins plan.

I agree with ASF, especially about Jackson. He could have been had for a song and given the choice between someone who is proven to be successful in the system and we know can get the job done on the pro level when given a chance vs. a rookie who has 'potential' I'll take the sure thing 9 out of 10 times. A group of Quezzie, Jackson, Gardner, and Doering would be a nice group IMHO.

My argument would be that there wasn't anyone so outstanding that prevented him from coming in as a top receiver in the group.

Personally I wonder if SOS started by bringing in as many former Gators as he could because that's what he knew and could be comfortable with. Then after all the hoopla about reassmbling all the former Gators, I wonder if he became a little gun shy in going after Jackson. While he may still be hanging onto the college mentality that he'll do the best with who he has, I feel he needs work in the role of a scout. He needs to find the best players he thinks will work in his system and give the list to Danny and Mendez and let them go try to land them. After that, he can coach whoever he gets.

I think there is still a honeymoon phase. Next year, I think you can expect to see SOS be more involved in stating the players he wants especially after being in the league a year and getting to see the players first hand.

And some of you guys mocked me when I said I was glad the Bucs didn't get Spurrier and was ecstatic that they went and got Gruden.

I warned ya, he was great in Florida but even the worst DC in the NFL will make his college offenses look silly. 4 TD lead in the 4th qtr....LOL! Good luck Steve.

(for those who don't know me, I'm just returning some smak, don't take it too seriously)

Yawn, the offense just needs stability at the interior of the O line.

I'm glad we have Trotter and with the youth there there shouldnt even be any second guessing.

If Ohalete proves to be a capable starter as does Lott at Safety the only area we may have to address on defense in 2k3 is right DE.

So going O linemen, etc in the draft would be fine

A mediocre DC going against S Double will get whipped.

One dollar you and the haytas on the sportsreporters have this selective amnesia thing going like somehow the skins defense isnt top 5 and the defensive coordinator isnt highly respected and thus these sessions the offense have against it isnt preparing S Double and his system.

NavyDave,

I never once in any of my posts downplayed the defense or Lewis' impact. Spurrier is the biggest crybaby on the planet and will get a big lesson in NFL play verses his college play IMO. I'm entitled to that opinion as much as those that think he will rip up DC's schemes and have 4 TD leads in the 4th.

I am a USF grad and disliked the Seminoles as much as the Gators, but I had respect for Bowden not whinny Spurrier. Him not coming to the Bucs was the best thing that ever happened. Heck, I would have been happy with Lewis over him.

Your Skins will win games this year but it will be in spite of Spurrier. Lewis is the one that will be winning games for you.

Archived