Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Love that planning: Redskins expect to toast 7th round pick (snapper)

I'm all for drafting a long snapper if you need a long snapper. And I'm all for keeping a long snapper if you've got a good one. However, drafting a long snapper when you don't need one because you already have a good one -- and can still afford to pay him -- that's a head-scratcher.

From John Keim of CPND:

"Ethan Albright was nearly a salary cap casualty in the offseason. The Redskins even drafted a long snapper in April (Jeff Grau). But the longer Albright stays in camp, the more likely he'll wind up on the opening day roster. Albright has looked very steady this summer. The Redskins have budgeted his salary into their season cap figure, anticipating him winning the job."

Meanwhile, Jeff Grau gets scr@wed. Had the Redskins not drafted him, he'd have a better chance catching on with a team that actually needed him.

That brings me to an interesting question:

What do these players who annually get cut in camp do for a living between the times they are in camp? Take Justin Skaggs for example, what does that guy do when he's not getting cut by the Redskins? I mean, I'm sure train and whatnot, but what kind of job would let you take leave for two-three months for training camp? Wouldn't you get fired if you had a steady job?

I doubt Grau is crying about it. If he gets cut, he'll get picked up by another team. It's the way the NFL works. Team interests go ahead of the interests of a 7th round long-snapper. Them's the ropes. You don't like 'em, you ain't gotta play football.

I'm not going to cry for him because he gets paid 100,000 dollars a year to sit on his arse.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

I doubt Grau is crying about it. If he gets cut, he'll get picked up by another team. It's the way the NFL works. Team interests go ahead of the interests of a 7th round long-snapper. Them's the ropes. You don't like 'em, you ain't gotta play football.

I'm not going to cry for him because he gets paid 100,000 dollars a year to sit on his arse.

Nice try.

TE Jeff Grau (UCLA/No. 230) -- Signing bonus: $28,000
http://espn.go.com/nfl/nfc/draftsignings2002.html

If Grau is cut, he will have been paid $28,000 for being prohibited from selling his services to 31 other teams that might have needed him.

Then he'll be patted on the back and head for unemployment.

The rest of your post is nonsense. Grau likely won't be picked up by another team until next year at the earliest, if then. Who's going to suddenly cut their snapper right as the season starts, so they can plug in some rookie cut by the Redskins?

And no, I'm not advocating sacrificing team interests. I'm suggesting that the team wasted its 7th round pick by not thinking through the issues well enough. That 7th round pick could be have a guard, center, DT or WR prospect. Still a longshot to make the team, but better than a wasting a pick on bad planning.

It was a good move to draft Grau. Seventh round picks are used as security blankets. Not to find an immediate starter. Hell, some teams drafted for depth in the first round, namely the Steelers. Do I feel sorry for the kid? Slightly, but not much.

But then again, what team was going to draft him if we didn't? He probably would have become an undrafted FA, only to be cut after about 2 hours of camp. Since he was actually drafted teams will say, "hmm...long-snapper drafted in the 7th round? He must be at least servicable," so they'll pick him up in the event that their LS blows out an ACL.

Look, there is not a big place for long-snappers in the NFL. They are one of the most overlooked positions on the field. They get cut, get signed, get cut, get paid beans to sit on the bench, get cut, etc.

Like I said, he can pursue a career in insurance if he's unhappy with the system.

Also, UDFA's don't tend to get signing bonuses, especially when they're long-snappers.

As for another team picking him up, you always have camp injuries, and even mediocre play by long-snappers that might cause them to bring him in for a tryout elsewhere (doen't that sound familiar?).

Didnt the Lions draft RB Luke Staley in the 7th round? I know the guy has had a ton of injuries, but he still averaged over 8 ypc last year. I was pissed that Dallas passed on him and drated players that have almost no chance of making the roster. He is a longshot but there is little risk and big reward if he pans out.

If you draft a LS he should win the job and save you some cap room.

And I should get cake and ice cream for breakfast every day, but I don't.

I can't say I understand any of this. Guys you draft in the first few rounds should make the team. If not, you've messed up.

But after the third round or so, you're working on percentages. You can't and shouldn't expect that every fifth rounder makes the team, just that a certain (hopefully high) percentage do. That percentage tends to drop as you go down thru the rounds.

The seventh round is where you find projects, longshots, insurance policies, camp fodder, and more recently, salary cap gambles. Grau fits in pretty much as a salary capper, and maybe an insurance policy. If Albright gets injured, or falters, or pulls a Brandt and the Redskins have no backup plan then THAT is poor planning. Bringing a late-round pick in to see if he can win the job from the incumbent, at a cheaper price, is what teams are supposed to be doing.

Meanwhile for Grau, its doubtful he'd have been drafted if not for the Skins, and there's hardly a guarantee he'd have been picked up at all as an FA. He's in the league, showing his stuff with his name still in play and even an outside chance still of winning the Skins job. Not shafted at all.

Generally speaking, late rounders are longshots. But if you take a LS, P, or K, you are expecting them to have a good chance at winning the job. Even so, losing out on a 7th rounder is no big deal. I doubt Danny will be sitting around in a few years saying " We never should have picked Grau!"

Either way, it isnt as bad as Philly treated their 7th rounder.

If I recall. Albright was expected to be a June 1st Cap Casualty by just about everyone from this board to ESPN. This went on till around June 1st and had been all but counted on since before the draft. Hasn't happened...yet. The article even address that.

""Ethan Albright was nearly a salary cap casualty in the offseason. The Redskins even drafted a long snapper in April (Jeff Grau)."

This tells me there was a "good plan" there. Planning for Albright to move on. Plans can change. Maybe something has changed, like more salary cap room, ( which is mentioned as well),or maybe the Skins are taking a good hard look at these 2 guys. Who knows? No way you'll convince me the Skins staff could read this thread and go; "Gee, wish we thought of that." And what Jimbo said. :cheers:

Sorry, this is silly criticism of the Skins. Obviously they had a plan. Hope that Grau could beat out Albright. Investing only a 7th rounder to ultimately save money against the cap. Grau didn't beat him out, so he's not good enough for the Skins to keep. Oh well. $28,000 and the PRIVALIGE of being drafted and playing for a NFL team (if only during the summer) ain't to shabby.

The real reason for this post is that folks are unhappy with how the Redskins drafted, not only this year but the last several years. We have so many holes on the offensive and defensive line that you can call us the Spongeskins. I want to know why in the world we passed on quality tackles for a Hawkeye named Betts that I have barely even heard of and I live in Big 10 Country and attend numerous Big 10 games. We need a GM PERIOD! IT WAS BOBBY BEATHARD that helped bring us the championships. The day he left is the day we went downhill. When Gibbs left it was the final nail in the coffin. I am sick and tired of this pick by committee theme the Redskins are trying to pull off. We need a strong GM AND A STRONG OFFENSIVE LINE and we have neither!! Why have the Skins and Cowboys become a joke! Look how they operate on draft day!

Beathard in his prime was the best! Do not judge him as a Charger, but as a Redskin GM. He even built the championship Miami teams of the 70s! But, even if you judge him based on what he did at San Diego he still did a better job than the Redskins did! The Chargers made it to a Super Bowl more recently than our Skins. That is straight sick! Who the hell is Betts? I am still trying to figure that out!

Originally posted by Hoosierskin

Beathard in his prime was the best! Do not judge him as a Charger, but as a Redskin GM. He even built the championship Miami teams of the 70s! But, even if you judge him based on what he did at San Diego he still did a better job than the Redskins did! The Chargers made it to a Super Bowl more recently than our Skins. That is straight sick! Who the hell is Betts? I am still trying to figure that out!

Beathard was a terrible GM but a great scout. His specialty was finding guys in the late rounds (or UDFAs) that nobody else would spot, often from smaller schools, black colleges, etc.

But he was a lousy, impatient GM. He never stopped trading next year's #1 pick for somebody else's #2 this year -- something that should only be done once in a blue moon, and then only for a championship caliber team missing one player who happens to be a steal at #2. The pattern exhibited here was simply inexcusable impatience, when the GM's primary responsibility is crafting the team for the long haul.

It didn't help that he wasn't all that sharp with the top picks he did use, beyond the notable exceptions Art Monk and Darrell Green.

But I'd take Beathard over Charley Casserly. Beathard frustrated me -- Casserly made me want to kill him. :hammer:

I read somewhere that Grau is the weakest guy on the team right now (including the kickers), but I can't find the article right now. Has anyone else seen that report? If its true, then this guy won't last long once he has to block 300 pound DT's who are trying to blow him up through the middle. They don't let LS'ers get hit in college, so this part of the game will be a whole new world for him.

I'm surprised that we even drafted this guy, if that's true, monarch. It just goes to show how overlooked the LS position is in the NFL, and it often bites you in the arse.

That's one thing Marty did well last year. He signed Albright to replace the horrid Joe Zelenka, and viola. No more bad snaps. Had Albright been on the roster in '99, we would have played the Rams in the NFC Championship.

If we have to cut Albright to sign Ray Brown or another surprise cut, then I'm down with that. But Grau sounds REALLY crappy.

Marty screwed up a lot of things last year, from dissing vets at training camp to being stupid at the QB spot to being inflexible early, but one thing he did right was to fix the special teams play and to bring in a lot of good veterans, on the cheap, to fill in depth at numerous positions. Noone seems to mention how many good veterans he picked up for next to nothing. From KiJana to Szott to Bates and a number of others. Albright may have cost a few pennies more, but dang it, it was about time that we didn't have to worry about snaps. Two years of dealing with bad ones was about enough. I hope that a return to the old front office staff doesn't mean that they have devalued ST's again.

Amen Monarch34! Grau WILL catch on to another team and we all know the phone can ring up to the playoffs if need be, in the long hard fought NFL season. Injuries, circumstances, what have you will dictate when players move around or re-sign or sign with teams vying to compete. He will get his share of someone's roster spot.

Didn't the Cowboys pay about 5 million to their long snapper this year? Wouldn't it have sucked if because the redskins didn't draft Grau, the Cowboys pick him up and save 4.5 million on the Cap? I think it would majorly suck.

Albright did ALL the snaps at practice. You can't miss the big red head.:laugh: Grau did his stretches at the very back of the O side of the field. That tells me alot. usually that last row of players will not make the team. He is very small. Again with the pitch of the field it kinda screws the height aspect since a guy standing in the middle of the field looks 8 inches taller then the guy in the back row closest to the sideline. He looked more like LB size then OL.

Wouldn't it have sucked if because the redskins didn't draft Grau, the Cowboys pick him up and save 4.5 million on the Cap? I think it would majorly suck.

Not really, because then we would have been able to pick up their long snapper for about 4 million less, and they'd be stuck with a 5'3 rookie who can bench 15 pounds. :laugh:

Archived