Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't expect SOS to show a lot...

amsterdamgator

True, but we'll get to see the scrubs scramble for roster spots and finally get a first-hand look at which QBs are looking sharpest. We'll also get to see our interior O-line (or lack thereof) *shudder*. Plus, it'll be like crack for an addict just to see the 'Skins take the field.

So true fellas, yeah Good Fellas :laugh:

I think this is most exciting preseason I look forward to, to see the new players, mainly rookies, since 2 years ago and 1983 (Darrell Green). Smoot counts, don't get me wrong, but when we took Chris Samuels and LaVar Arrington, right after taking Champ Bailey and Jon Jansen, the year before, I had goose bumps.

After having sprint his way into world class competition at Texas, Darrell Green was the most anticipated rookie I followed, since we took Larry Brown in 1970.

Now you know the calibre of Samuels, Arrington, Bailey, Smoot, Jansen and Davis. The next generation!

On the contrary...

I would expect SOS to throw out multiple formations and pass patterns throughout the preseason. This isn't his umpteenth year at the same place. This entire year is a learning experience to be. He needs to figure out what works, and who makes it work.

Not to mention, come game time... he's gonna want to win. Did you watch him coach the College All Star Game?

Not to mention, what would he be revealing by throwing 4 and 5 WR formations out there? It's the same thing he's done for 15 years. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's not the formation. It's not the pattern. It's not the blocking scheme.

It's endless practice, reliant on impeccable timing, and an innate feel for knowing what to run when, and that's just God-given and experience bred.

For Redskins fans not used to his style of play, the preseason will be a feast for the eyes. What I wouldn't expect is him to reveal the new wrinkles he will throw into this offense to adjust for the subtle differences in the NFL game.

if you have an ambitious playbook and are not afraid to use all the plays in that playbook there is no reason to believe the playcalling will be curtailed and buttoned-down for the preseason.

let's face it, people have been pouring over the game films from Florida to see what tendencies Spurrier's offenses have had over time.

and those films capture the performances of some of the very same players we know have on the roster :)

so much for the hidden sledgehammer :laugh:

Well, of course it isn't a big surprise bulldog. I have no doubt that Armstead can still play but the big reason the Giants cut him is because they wanted to start grooming Dhani Jones to take over. From the reports I have read on the Giants training camp, Jones is looking very good at the position. I am sure he won't be Armstead like for awhile if ever but he is younger and faster. That is the way the Giants are going. They have gotten much younger and much faster. Two or three years when these guys get experience, this should be a very good Giants team. Assuming the Giants pay these guys to keep them around. As for this year? I am playing a wait and see game.

You are wrong again. At UF he would routinely make up new plays every year and not exposed them until he really needed them. For example he instituted the EMORY and Henry formation angainst FSU to Stop the pass rush. It was never used until then although practiced every week.

He never showed the 5 WR's and the qb in the shotgun until we played FSU in the national championship, Until then the qb was always under center. He never showed a trick play against a lessor team (he uses them a few times a game).

In fact his play calling in those tuneups was ALWAYS limited. In fact at the beginning of the pre season he said himself he wished he didn't have to play these games for that reason.

They can look at last 10 years all they want, but he doesn't run the same plays he ran 10 years ago. He is always making up new plays and new formations.

Sounds like he can come up with effective plays off the top of his head like the coach in the waterboy.

I want to see how our depth plays in the second and 3rd quarters.

Actually Matthews throwing to Skaggs and D Mac and Rock running in the 3rd quarter could make for some exciting football.

Seems we have been watching two different Gator football teams.

The change to the shotgun was a philosophical change on the part of Spurrier and a big one at that. I don't think that counts as "not showing his cards until he need them." He needed it when Wuerffel was getting pummeled by FSU, but had never believed in it enough to coach his players on how to run it, so he couldn't have turned to it.

The Emory and Henry is the most overpublicized, least used formation in the history of UF football. It was successful in one SEC Championship game against Alabama (in the single greatest coached game of SOS's career - for anyone of you who might have access to video highlights and an afternoon to kill). Otherwise, it's been revealed as what it is... a gimic formation with little everyday utility, and usually a desperation move on Spurrier's part. It was never successful against FSU.

Other than that, Spurrier's offense is based around a small selection of running plays, the toss sweep... the sprint draw... and a bevy of fades, hooks, posts, and dumpoffs which he has been running for years. Repeat after me... It's not just the plays.

His "new" plays are designed against something he sees on the field, against a specific defensive tendency. Of course he didn't reveal them against SW Louisiana 'cuz he didn't come up with them until he saw TN's defense. But what would he really be revealing about his offense by handing off to Amaya on a double reverse against the 49'ers?

"Hey Campo - Spurrier likes reverses... jot that down."

I'd be more surprised if he didn't throw a flea flicker or two in Japan.

He wasn't brought in to teach Stephen Davis how to run off tackle. Do you really think he's going to hand the ball off 40 times in Japan? With essentially "new" QBs and WR's? Don't count on it.

Other than that, Spurrier's offense is based around a small selection of running plays, the toss sweep... the sprint draw...

That's an interesting point. I read an article not too long ago where Rex Grossman discussed the difference betweeen the F'n'G and the new UF offense.

The article said the same thing: Spurrier only has about 3 or 4 running plays (the ones you suggested).

..and frankly, that worries me about the coming season. Even if we become a pass-first team, I think we'll need a more developed and nuanced running game, especially against the NFC East.

I'll try to find the article and post it here.

Here's some links on the running game subject:

http://florida.theinsiders.com/2/52903.html?noredir=1

and

http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,5463308,00.html

(especially the end of the article)

I truly am concerned about this. Hopefully, Spurrier, like Gibbs will learn quickly that the running game is very important, even if you're pass-happy.

PG,

I agree with your analysis of SOS's tendencies for the upcoming (7 days, 6.5 hours) pre-season games. He'll be in the air A LOT, trying to get the timing down.

DutchGator: I don't think he played or schemed the early games with the GAtors, 'cause he didn't have to. Their talent was all over any 1-AA team for his openers. That Will Not be the case during the pre-season. Also, he HATES to lose at anything. Just 'cause they don't count does mean he won't go all out. He did the same in th Hula Bowl.

HTTR!

Archived