Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The one that got away: Willie Jackson signed for peanuts

We're really going to regret not getting Willie Jackson. And now we know that we could have signed him for a bag of manure and a six-pack of Bud:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1410440.html

By Len Pasquarelli

Catching up on a recent deal for which the salary numbers were just reported, the three-year contract that free agent Willie Jackson signed with the Atlanta Falcons is worth $3.5 million. The veteran wide receiver got a signing bonus of $350,000 and a base salary for 2002 of $650,000, of which $250,000 is guaranteed. His base salary for 2003 is pegged at 1.1 million and for '04 at $1.2 million. There are offseason workout bonuses of $100,000 each in 2003 and 2004.

I don't see receiver as a big hole like you do Atlanta, as I fully expect Gardner to do well and Green to prove of some worth, but, of the receivers available, Jackson was clearly the best fit for our team and at that price he was probably a guy we should have more seriously considered. Though, that depends on what we do with our remaining dollars. Spurrier seems pretty pleased with his receivers and he doesn't seem as pleased with his line so, perhaps we are going to have to focus on that first and the receiver need isn't a great one.

Originally posted by Art

I don't see receiver as a big hole like you do Atlanta, as I fully expect Gardner to do well and Green to prove of some worth, but, of the receivers available, Jackson was clearly the best fit for our team and at that price he was probably a guy we should have more seriously considered. Though, that depends on what we do with our remaining dollars. Spurrier seems pretty pleased with his receivers and he doesn't seem as pleased with his line so, perhaps we are going to have to focus on that first and the receiver need isn't a great one.

Art, you don't have to see WR as a hole to recognize that Jackson would likely be better than anyone on the roster except Green and possibly Gardner. (I disagree on the latter, but that's irrelevant.)

Jackson barely costs more than one of the stiffs who will hold his place on the roster. The incremental dollars are minimal and hardly affect the rest of the team.

To be honest, I'd rather give one of our younger players a shot here than bringing Jackson in. Of course, I've said that before. I think the one spot we don't have to worry about Spurrier getting production out of is the receiver spot, and I don't think Jackson would necessarily have offered anything more than Spurrier is likely to get already out of the spot.

Jackson is and has been WAY better than Green. Jackson didn't sign because Spurrier's ego got in the way. He wants to prove he can turn college gators into lagit NFL players even though they failed under everyone else. I tell ya he is going to drive you nuts with that ego of his. It's one of the traits I dislike the most about him.

Jackson would have been a good acquisition because he is a first-down maker, something that Green and Gardner have not shown they are capable of doing consistently in the NFL as of yet.

Green has mostly been a deep threat and Gardner was a rookie last year.

At the same time I can see, as Art mentioned, that with problems on BOTH lines right now that there may be a need to save dollars at WR to be redeployed to these other spots.

What has bothered me is that the OL coach has indicated how no one has stepped up to take the lead in the race for the OG slots and yet the team has made NO moves to address the situation.

Now with Bruce and Santana Dotson out of the lineup the team brings in Daryl Gardener to fill the hole at DE/DT, but he leaves town without a deal, even though he spent the extra morning here ostensibly to work on one.

That is not a good sign. Now we lose him to the Rams?

It seems the Redskins were great at going out and spending money on front line free agents a couple of months ago, but even with cap room available with some creative financing seem now to have lost the confidence to make any moves at all :mad:

Originally posted by RedskinFan4Life

one buc,

wasn't willie jackson also a gator?

:rolleyes: :doh:

look back at my post, I said "He wants to prove he can turn college gators into lagit NFL players even though they failed under everyone else."

Willie has proven himself already, so he does not fit in the catagory. Spurrier wouldn't be able to take credit for his success.

:doh:

well, regarding the quarterbacks what former Gator could Spurrier have signed that HAS proven to be a solid, established NFL player? :laugh:

among the receivers you can cite Jackson and Ike Hilliard, but neither player is among the top receivers in the Conference. In Hilliard's case he has been on IR as much as he has been out on the field.

other Florida receivers like Travis Taylor and recent draftees Caldwell and Gaffney are themselves still young and learning the pro game and may not be ready for another year or two.

I think the Redskins WERE interested in signing Jeff Blake to be the starter for the 2002 season, with the idea of drafting a successor and having him sit on the bench, a la Ramsey.

But Blake thought he was worth a $4 million signing bonus.

Washington and Buffalo balked at that price and went shopping elsewhere.

Now, Blake is in Baltimore for $1.5 million, even less than what was offered before.

Go figure. :doh:

So, Spurrier's options unless the team went out and traded next year's draft for Drew Bledsoe or Champ Bailey to move up to #3 to take Harrington as Detroit demanded, were limited for 2002.

He decided to go with the ex-Gators and see what they can do.

I find it amusing that people think NONE of these players can be successful or find their niche despite the fact players like Green and Anthony were high draft choices and Matthews was slated to be the Bears starting quarterback before getting hurt in the final preseason game last year.

I remember Bill Walsh taking players like Ricky Patton, Bill Ring, Earl Cooper, etc....off the junk heap and putting them in position to be contributors on a successful football team.

I remember Joe Gibbs doing the same with players like Alvin Garrett, Virgil Seay, Charlie Brown and quarterbacks like Jay Schroeder and Mark Rypien.

The point is, these players have some talent. Take Jacquez Green.

For whatever reason it didn't work out for him in Tampa. Maybe at his size he was running routes ill-suited to his skill set. Maybe he didn't like learning 3 playbooks with 3 different coordinators in 3 years. Who knows?

I do know that in free agency the Rams and Redskins, two teams with creative offensive minds as head coaches both thought Green was worth signing to a multi-year deal. :)

Maybe it was the fact Green had two 50+ catch seasons for the Bucs even with all the qualifiers and inconsisency.

You mention that Willie Jackson is proven. Well, that came quickly after ONE above average season in SIX at age 29.

Why can't 2002 be that type of season for Green who is still only 26? :)

Willie Jackson has been one of the best players at the WR position in the league 0ver the past two years. He was originally drafted by dallas and as a rookie was behind Irvin and harper. Then went to Jacksonville and played very well on a mediocre team. When Jax beat Denver in the playoffs that year he had over 100 yards that game. Went to Cinn where he was behind Darnell Scott and Carl pickens. When Pickens was holding out Willie had over 100 yards and a TD in the first game he started. Pickens ended his hold out the next day.

He finally got a break in new orleans and currently holds the NFL touchdown record for a playoff game. He alone led No over St. Louis in that game. He was unstoppable that game. Had over 1000 yards last year on a mediocre team that focused on the Ricky Williams.

SOS has many times stated in interviews that Willie is his favorite player he has ever coached.

In fact, the main reason he didn't sign with Washington was SOS felt he could sign for more money elsewhere and he did. Washington just didn't have enough to pay him. They did for this year but SOS knew willie needed a long term deal and Wash wouldn't give it to him.

FWIW SOS has already tried to trade for Terry Jackson (plays for SF).

He is a big fan of both of them.

Watch Chris D. make the team along with J. green. Don't know about R. Anthony.

To say he wanted to sign gators and that is why he didn't sign with washington is pretty stupid since Willie was an All American at UF.

Look back at the UF receivers you forgot D. Jackson one of the best in the nfl. now. Look at his numbers last year.

Also, the two skins now played under 3 OC while at Tampa and 3 different systems.

Ike has played very well and was injured by a cheap shot his first year.

The only real dud who came from Florida is J. Jackson. and he left after his junior year (SOS wanted him out of gainesville).

I agree, I would've liked to have seen Jackson signed, but more as an insurance blanket in the event that Gardner or Green goes down and we're stuck starting Reidel Anthony or Chris Doering at wideout.

Gardner is a prototype possession receiver, akin to Keenan McCardell. Green can run 20-40 yard routes, whereas Gardner will run 10 yards over the middle. Anthony, Doering, D-mac, Skaggs, etc. are the wild cards.

Don't rule out Doering. He suffered a torn achilles 2 years ago or he would have been playing a lot for Denver. He was having a great Pre-season when it occured.

Doering fits into SOS system very well. He catches almost everything and runs very very good routes. If you look at the succesful WR's most weren't parade all americans coming in and ALL of them ran good routes and caught the ball with their hands not their chest.

In fact, J. greeen was a qb. Chris D. was a walk-on. WIllie Jackson got the last schollarship that year. Ike was a CB. Reidel was a throw in to get Fred Taylor (went to the same high school). Jabar Gaffney was the 112 ranked player in the state of Florida.

In fact most of the studs out of high school didn't do very well in SOS system.

He likes guys that fit the system, which isn't necessarily players that other coaches go after. Others are more interested in speed, while he speads the field so much as long as you run the correct routes you will be open.

Watch I think all of you will be very surprised.

Don't expect much out of the special teams though. He doesn't spend a lot of time there. Lets the playmers try and make plays.

Originally posted by amsterdamgator

Don't rule out Doering. He suffered a torn achilles 2 years ago or he would have been playing a lot for Denver. He was having a great Pre-season when it occured.

Doering looks too fragile to make it in the NFL. He's 6'4" and is listed generously as 195 lbs. But he looks like a supermodel -- the female kind. Get a load of this photo -- probably 90% of the women in America would like his thighs and general build.

If he proves he's good enough to get playing time, watch for this twig to be snapped by a vicious hit during the season.

capt.1027700462.redskins_camp_pabb105.jpg

"Do I make you horny, baby?!" Chris Doering calls to a Redskin defender as wide receiver Akihito Amaya (15) looks on. (A.P.)

Dig it Amsterdamgator.

Like the 1990 Giants. Can you name the 4 WR's for the 1990 Giants that won the Superbowl???

How about the receiving corps of the 1985 Bears?

Or how about the WR's for the 1980 Raiders, other than Cliff Branch?

The more you look at it, the #2 thru #4's have hurt opponents again and again, because they were as tenacious as the #1, just not as great.

Gary Clark is by far of the most famous #2 we ever had - second only to the great Art Monk!

The damage that Isaac Bruce continues to do as he gets older is heartstopping, when coupled with Holt.

One thing Uf WR's were excellent at (b/c of SOS's coaching) was getting down after they catch the ball over the middle. Say what you want, but the guys hitting Chris will be the same guys he smoked in College. Look at the secondary's around the league and they are mostly mainly college studs from a few years back minus a few veterans.

Hell Samari Rolle was a pro-bowler and the SOS actually named a play after because they beat him so routinely. You can't hit them if they are wide open and the QB throws the ball in the right place.

SOS loves the fade to the sideline as well.

I can't remember in the last 10 years a UF WR getting knocked out of a game except when J. Green got laid out in the Fiesta bowl vs. Nebraska and that was on a kickoff return.

Part of it too is that a receiver often gets laid out by overthrown balls coming across the middle. Since our QB's were always very accurate, you wouldn't see a lot of overthrown balls. Also, most of the passes are deeper routes, corners or posts. Those headhunter hits are made on routes that aren't a staple of SOS's offense.

I look for good things from Quezzie being back in a system he knows and is suited to him. Face it, players are always going to play better in a system suited to emphasis their strengths.

Uh Willie Jackson career isnt all that he shined in his contract year and prior to that was basically in the Westy category.

I rather have the young homegrown guys like Skaggs and D Mac make it and at a cheaper cost and use the extra money on the line.

Navy you are wrong

RE-read this:

Willie Jackson has been one of the best players at the WR position in the league 0ver the past two years. He was originally drafted by dallas and as a rookie was behind Irvin and harper. Then went to Jacksonville and played very well on a mediocre team. When Jax beat Denver in the playoffs that year he had over 100 yards that game. Went to Cinn where he was behind Darnell Scott and Carl pickens. When Pickens was holding out Willie had over 100 yards and a TD in the first game he started. Pickens ended his hold out the next day.

He finally got a break in new orleans and currently holds the NFL touchdown record for a playoff game. He alone led No over St. Louis in that game. He was unstoppable that game. Had over 1000 yards last year on a mediocre team that focused on the Ricky Williams.

He has always been a player, he has just always been on a team with veteran probowl caliber WR's ahead of him.

During his career, especially in big games he has been dominat when given the chance to play.

I am with NavyDave! The Redskins do not need Willie Jackson. We have too many receivers at this point. I back this up by Spurrier himself saying that the receiver position is not a weakness of ours.

The cold hard facts so far in this camp are that we are in dire need of help in the trenches. We need "hogs" and defensive lineman. Receivers do not matter unless the quarterback is protected. It all starts with the offensive line as we Redskin fans know. Without the hogs in the 80s we would not have won any Super Bowls.

You build around Samuels and Jansen, not Willie "overrated" Jackson. We had it backwards all of these years. If we had a better offensive line Westbrook may have lived up to his potential because the quarterback would have had time to find him instead of running for his life. (Not that I want Westy back!)

Also, everybody likes to blame Gardner for dropped passes last year. I blame the quarterback position for poor throws and a weak offensive line that gave him no support. Gardner made many Moss-like catches and those short little dink passes that he may not have hung onto were usually rushed and thrown behind him.

Let us rebuild the "hogs" and get back to winning again! I will not mind if I never hear Willie Jackson's name mentioned again! I will take J. Green any day over Willie "overrated" Jackson. Hail to the Skins!

AG,

I think you might be puffing up Jackson just a tad. Certainly he had a nice, but not great year last year for New Orleans and probably that was his first real chance at starting and shining. But, Willie Jackson's dominance isn't so readily witnessed that he was given a chance before he was 31 and that tells you he probably wasn't all that dominating.

He's a nice player and he'd have been a worthwhile thought. But, Spurrier to this point in camp has used the word to describe the interior line of "crap" and until THAT is solved, we've no business looking to add players elsewhere with the possible exception of defensive tackle :).

Again you can talk about having great players in and of themselves, but we want and need players that do well in a system. We need precise route running and good hands. While I agree that the abilty to make a circus catch is nice for the highlights, if you run proper routes and get good separation, you won't find SOS's receivers needing to make a lot of catches in traffic because they usually aren't IN traffic.

Personally I'd rather have a guy like Doering who catches everything thrown near him than a guy who admittedly has trouble catching balls. Same goes for Willie - a guy who knows how to run routes and catch balls.

I'm not saying I don't want Gardner, but in my mind you get the best players for a system. I'm also not saying some of the other guys we have in camp can't flourish in his system (that's for SOS to decide). Willie would have been a good addition because he's proven he can excel in the system.

AG,

If you are going to argue that Jackson put up bigger numbers than Moss as something substantial when it's not true, I can't really debate with you because you are coming from a position of fantasy rather than reality.

Jackson had ONE more catch than moss, two hundred fewer yards, five fewer touchdowns, and certainly didn't impact the game as Moss does when he decides to participate in a play. Having one more catch than another player doesn't equate to putting up bigger numbers I don't think.

Again though. Jackson is a "nice" player who had a good year. Michael Westbrook put up nice numbers too once. Consistency over a period of time is meaningful. I don't doubt Jackson will add to his good year. I just wouldn't count on it either.

WHo was he going to start over Pickens, Harper, Irvin, J. SMith darnay scott (in his prime).

He didn't play because he was behind all pro WR's. Not do to his talent. When he did play he domintated.

Go back and look at his numbers in the playoffs.

If you look at his perfomance in the playoffs over the years he is as good as anyone (hence he shares some records with Jerry Rice).

You obviously didn't watch the jags beat Denver a few years ago at denver or the jags beat Pittsburgh. Or New orleans beat the rams 2 years ago.

Archived