Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More on Skins OL....

smith22

Redskins | R. Jones Struggling - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

22:56 PT: The Washington Post reports Washington Redskins G Rod Jones is struggling with his transition from right tackle to guard. "Rod Jones is trying to learn to be a guard," offensive line coach Kim Helton said. "He hasn't done it yet. I've moved him to tackle a couple times and he's looked very good, a lot better than he has at guard so far. In all fairness to him, he's always been a tackle."

The transition to guard for Jones is a key for us. With his size and mobility on the interior, he'd be a perfect fit there. His level of comfort is going to be a key because while he is a fine backup tackle to have around, his true value is got to be in his ability to play more than one spot for us. Helton appears to be a straight shooter and it's good to see because he seems like the type of coach that won't mislead us as to where our line is as camp progresses.

I don't think he'll let Jones play if Jones simply doesn't get comfortable with the new spot. And I think that knowledge is shared by Jones, who, should he want to play, will have to work very hard to quickly pick up the spot.

I dont understand.

Tackles do have TEs covering them on running and passing plays.

And he is going against plodders instead of speed demons.

Maybe he just need several preseason games to get used to the position.

But I'd be calling Coleman and Brown for depth

I think it's exactly as the article says. When one plays tackle, the responsibilities are but a few. When you're at G, there are many more options that have to be covered. I think he'll be fine once he learns his progressions. Give him a couple of weeks and IMHO, he'll be fine. He's got the talent he just doesn't have all of the assignments down yet.

HTTR!

Archived