Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reflecting back on the draft....

Zen-like Todd

Ya know guys... even though it wasnt an instant gratification draft, I think that this was one of our best drafts in the last 10 years.

I mean sure, we've grabbed Champ, Lavar, and Samuels in the first round (doesnt hurt to have the 2nd and 3rd overall picks in the draft), and Jansen in the 2nd round. But, as has heavily been discussed, the later rounds have been a disaster, which is what has led in part to the free agnet binge signings. Now, we didnt address the offensive or defensive lines until late in the draft, and picked a lot of seemingly odd positions earlier on, but right now, I'm feeling really good about the draft.

Almost every single player we drafted should be with this team for awhile, and I'm guessing at least half of them will be important components going forward. No, it's not going to have a huge impact on our ability to go all the way this year, but 3 years down the road, as these players mature, and hopefully we follow up with another draft like this, where we pick up safeties, DTs, and a young center to groom, we'll have significantly recharged the team, at a cheap price, and hopefully we'll be able to hold on to some of our current stars.

Yes, the Cowboys did a great job by getting Roy Williams and Gurode. But let's see how things turn out for them in the years to come. It's not that our overall draft class has a bigger impact on the team than the Cowboys draft. We would quite conceivably wind up with starters at QB, RB, dimeback (more or less a starter in this league), WR, FB, and if we get lucky, heavy contributions from DE (greg scott) and OT/G (Reggie Coleman) in a couple of years.

That's my current position statement on the draft.

Thank you, and good day.

We arent going to go ten for ten with our draft picks.

But if our future is Betts and Rock in the back field, russell at wideout and Ramsey at QB I'm happy for the offense.

We will see when it comes to our darrell green wannabee bauman

Originally posted by Funkyalligator

Well...at least the cowboys picked up their requisit criminal in Antonio Bryant......what will he be arrested for first??

Maybe for humiliating your nickel CB Darrell Green on Thanksgiving Day.

Maybe for humiliating your nickel CB Darrell Green on Thanksgiving Day.

Nah, he'll probably be in jail long before then. And even if he got on the field, it's more likely that Bryant would be crying like a baby at get his *** handed to him by the oldest CB in the league.

I too agree that this draft has the potential to be one of the best in a long while, IMO, the reason is that we generally took the BPA when we selected.

I've read numerous posts on this board and others stating that we should have taken a guard in the 1st and these posters may be correct, but I think we selected solid players who will all contribute, many of which will contribute sooner than we think.

i may be wrong about this but i believe gurode and bryant are both asking for significantly more money than their draft position warrants. i thought the sports radio here in san diego said that gurode wants first round money and that bryant wants something similar. that is going to spell serious trouble for the cowgirls if it's true:thumbsup:

The Cowboys have signed 3 picks so far, with 3 others being close to getting signed, possibly by the end of the today. Williams and Gurode might be the hardest to get done. The problem with Williams is that his agent has been focusing on getting W. Green signed and kind of putting us on the back burner.

Things are suppose to get going today with his agent. As long as Williams or Gurode don't miss longer than a week, we should be just fine. They have already participated in all of our camps so far with the 1st string teams.

It may be true...matbe these guys will be great, but they have not even played in a pre-season game yet, so lets hold off on the coronation for a little while. Frankly I think the draft was a dusaster. Just look at Helton's quote on the other thread about how abysmal our OLine is. When you have as much dead money as the Skins do and you have as much talent as the Skins do, with a few glaring holes, and there are top quality players on the board you can draft to fill those holes, you do it. I don't want to wait for the future, the Skins have enough talent to win now, but instead of addressing the holes in the best way possible considering the cap situation, Snyder & Co go for the QB of the future. Forget that there is a slew of QB talent in next years draft for a second, just thinking how complete and solid out team would be right now if the Skins had found a way to draft starter quality players at G and DT infuriates me. Forget the future, there is always a draft next year, frankly I'm tired of looking towards the draft, the off-season is becoming unbearable with the way I have been looking forward to the draft the last couple of years...drafting a backup QB and a backup RB with the first to picks was incredibly wasteful in my opinion, in so far as it may end up costing the Skins yet another season in what has been a numbingly long line of forgettable seasons. It was a stupid draft.

Right you are, Yomar!

It's almost laughable that the line coach is openly pleading for warm bodies that will be cast off in the next few weeks from other teams. For that matter BOTH lines are in shambles. You've got a guy coming in tonight that team members in Miamii pleaded coaches to cut for attitude problems.

When you have a owner that thinks he can be a GM and picks a QB that the so-called QB-teaching genius didn't even want, it makes you wonder.

This rent-a-lineman mentality assures this team of problems, constantly. How much longer can the two tackles (Jansen and Samuels) remain unscathed by serious injury? Odds are not much longer. They are the only two out of the five man starting line that were on it last year. The D-line will have about the same percentage of change. That's not the way to form a cohesive group. It all starts and ends with the line play, not glitzie glamor boy QBs. A very wastful draft. :shootinth

I don't think it was either a disaster or a wonderful draft. The big question mark pick seems to be Betts, in terms of him seemingly not being a 2nd round guy. One guy they could have picked was Anthony Weaver (DE), who was picked by Baltimore in the Redskins place. I don't know anything about the guy, but the "experts" had him among the best available for a while at that time in the draft.

So, for now, I'll give the Redskins the benefit of the doubt, that they thought Weaver wasn't as great as advertised, and they thought Betts was better than advertised. But that's the one thing I'll be watching for in terms of a potential mistake.

Otherwise, I don't think you can argue that Ramsey, Bauman, or Russell were reaches. I don't think the team was an OG and DE away from the Super Bowl (with the QB situation, as well as new coaches/systems), so I don't think taking Ramsey over Gurode was a mistake.

As for the later picks, who knows, but I do think in retrospect that it was wise to draft best available rather than just trying to plug holes (although admittedly on draft day I was wondering what they were thinking).

Archived