Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier zinger on Ramsey.....

Art

I was listening to WRC4 news, having a friend hold up the phone :), and George and Sonny had on Spurrier. George started in on Ramsey not being there and why doesn't Spurrier get involved to get it done. Then he pointed out that Harrington told his agent last night he didn't care about the money, but he wanted to be in camp on time and to get a deal done.

Spurrier shot in, "Well, looks like Joey wanted to be there I guess." Meaning Patrick didn't :). Sign the dotted line my friend. For the rest, it was interesting to hear Sonny and Spurrier discussing relatively ragged play by the offense and QBs. Sonny pointed out that a lot of balls hit the ground and Spurrier agreed it was a bit ragged, but, it was the first session in a month and he didn't expect otherwise. He said, though, something that did disturb me. In excusing some of the bad throws, he said, "We had the same thing back at Redskin Park early on when the balls were new and you know Sonny, we had new balls out there today......."

Does Spurrier know the NFL uses new balls? If he's counting on worked in balls to help, we're in a lot of trouble :).

I watched the same report Art, and I must say, the exact same thing went through my mind. The balls are sparkling clean during the entire course of an NFL game. But I'm sure he's aware of that, and I was thinking that maybe he was being a little scarcastic when he said that. But he sure looked serious.

I was actually able to catch all 3 of the camp reports on the local news stations, and I'm so overwhelmed with seeing the Skins on T.V. again that almost couldn't handle it. Reports were pretty similar....the passing looked a little rusty, there were a lot of dropped balls, basically everyone is just getting back in the swing of things.

George Michael made a comment about the Rock being overweight, and SS was quick to correct him with saying that he's ideal size for a fullback, weighing in at about 240 and having to block NFL linebackers.

Originally posted by Art

Sonny pointed out that a lot of balls hit the ground and Spurrier agreed it was a bit ragged, but, it was the first session in a month and he didn't expect otherwise. He said, though, something that did disturb me. In excusing some of the bad throws, he said, "We had the same thing back at Redskin Park early on when the balls were new and you know Sonny, we had new balls out there today......."

What do you want him to say?

"Well, Sonny, I was hoping things would turn out differently, but it's looking like all three of our veteran QBs just plain suck. Our only hope is if Ramsey will just sign a contract -- we'll give him any amount of money if will just please come to camp. Obviously these veteran QBs can't handle the job."

Sometimes a coach just has to say stupid nonsense to the media to take heat off his players. That's a good trait.

Well, I'm sure they use new balls in preseason games also so we'll all have a good read in a month or so.

I'm gonna go on record as stating that if Ramsey can get in here by Sunday, he will be starting for us Week 1. I think he'll show immediately that he is clearly better than the 3 career backups who are listed ahead of him.

Originally posted by Art

Sonny pointed out that a lot of balls hit the ground and Spurrier agreed it was a bit ragged, but, it was the first session in a month and he didn't expect otherwise.

One more thought about this.

Without more detail, it's not clear to me that the fault is always the QB for balls hitting the ground. It could be that receivers are sometimes running the wrong routes.

This is something we will have to watch as the games unfold. For "really bad" passes where the receiver isn't within 5 yards, the fault could be the receiver's.

I'm worried about these sorts of problems, because misreads of the defense by the receivers (or QB) can create easy picks.

Betts showed me something and shut me up quick, whether the story broke later than the actions of signing or not. He showed what Edgerrin James and Peyton Manning showed that means so much when a formidable player shows up. He KNOWS the money will be there and can be renegotiated, but it's those little iddy biddy camps and training that you miss that can nail you with bad ankle sprains and backs, trying too hard to make up for what you don't know and the like.

Both stated that the one thing they didn't want to do, was play like a rookie. Well they did, BUT sh******** Wow what a rookie!

I was watching that newscast (I had a friend call me at 6:45 because I knew I would be taking a nap) with Sonny and George and Stevey. Anyways, I thought the coolest thing about it all was the clip of the Rock catching a pass. That dude is short, but straight up HUUUUUGE. He is nasty. Hahaha, he is honestly **** diesel. It was inspiring. He'll get some reps i bet.

YES!!!

I am glad others are noticing Rock. He is truly an awesome back. I believe as the camp progresses, more and more will come to recognize what we have going for us with him. Double S has been impressed and excited with him from the beginning.

I thought Double S was sending a message to Ramsey yesterday in his press conference. Those subtle messages go to the bone.

;)

Blondie

And there in lies the most important part of the whole thing. S.S. seems to like the lad. And would appear to be giving him reps as well. Obviously likes him as a blocker. Seems he's been known to do that. Oh. and blondie, is that a subtle .......er....."I told yo.....". Nah. You said you wouldn't do that. Where's the hypnotist guy? ;)

Ok, first off, if Ramsey starts, we're finished. He's a ROOKIE. That means tons of picks.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about a lot of balls hitting the ground. I bet many vetran QBs around the league throw low balls the first week. Lets wait until Osaka before we get too bent out of shape.

Archived