Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

mike and mike in the morning

luckydevil

Early on today on the Mike and Mike show they interviewed Chris Mortenson. Mort is one one of the few media members who actually think the skins can be a contender. The thing i thought was most interesting was when the qb situation was brought up. Apparently Danny Wuerfall had a great June camp. He also said that Wuerfall is the favorite to win the job right now.

I also recall there was some talk in the bears organization that Wuerfall should have been ahead of Matthews on the depth chart. On the radio show Mort also did say Spurrier told him he thinks the team is a championship team. Mort gave very positive vibes about the skins.

Last night on Sports Xtra with Dave Feldman, Mark Maske said that he assumes Matthews will win the job.

I'd think that Maske has better information than Mort, seeing as though Mark is the 'Skins beat writer. But Mort seems to get good scoops all the time.

Camp hasn't even started yet, however. A lot of things can happen, and Steve has stated that it's an open competition.

It should be an interesting battle.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wuerffel starts. I would be surprised if he starts, does very well and then we all get to listen to ND complain that we didn't get Gurode when we had the chance since Ramsey won't be needed :).

I couldn't take that 100 post tirade.

I'd prefer Wueffrel to win the starting job over Matthews. He's younger and he appears to be more intelligent than Matthews. Plus, Matthews is injury prone... so it's just a matter of time before Wueffrel would enter the game.

I think Wueffrel's struggles so far in the NFL have been based more on the offensive system he was trying to execute. Let's face it, Ditka didn't have the most imaginative or creative offense in the world. Williams right...no gain, Williams left, two yard gain, 10 yard out on third and 8.... well defensed and incomplete.

I think what we'll see is that arm strength plays less of a role in S2's offense because he asks the QB to "throw it where they aint" and on time. You don't need a cannon arm to do that, although a stronger arm can make up for poor timing or a busted play. I vote for Wueffrel to start, Matthews to back-up, and Sage to be third. Ramsey holding a clipboard, and getting by with one less guy on the roster so we can carry four Qb's. Heck, we had Bates and Metcalf on the club and they simply returned kicks. That's two guys right there.

Just to touch on Maske last night. I was very surprised/encouraged to hear that Maske basically said at worst the Skins finish 7-9 and at best 11-5 or 12-4. He seems to think they have a real shot to go far. It all starts today.

:cheers:

I'd be really surprised if Spurrier was worse than 9-7.

The guy is just too darn smart, too darn competitive, and he seems to draw energy from the negative press that surrounds him.If something won't work, he'll change it immediately or draw up a play that will work. He's no Jimmy Raye.

I agree about Wuerffel, too. He's bright and accurate. The pundits that rag on Wuerffel seem to forget that Kurt Warner was a BAG BOY with a mediocre arm ... but look what he did with a good timing offense, good QB coaching and creative play-calling.

And the pundits who crack on our WR's fail to notice that all of the Rams WR's are 6'0 or shorter, and 190 lbs or lighter.

True, the Rams have a better OL, but our special teams and Defense are better.

Originally posted by luckydevi

Rams also had better wrs.

You're probably right, but how good would they be in a Marty Schottenheimer offense? You think Holt as a rookie would have done much better than Gardner? Bruce was a stud, but I had never heard of Hakim, and Proehl was a possession guy.

I don't think anyone looked at that group pre-99 and thought, "Wow, these guys are explosive".

It just brings back the point, "Who were the Rams before Martz arrived?"

It really seems like Wuerffel is the to favorite to win the job. Sportstalk 980 redskins beat reporter Bram Weinstein thinks Wuerffel is going to be the starter. Mel Kiper has been on the record that Wuerffelwill be the starter. Washington Times Rick Synder also thinks Wuerffel will be the starter.

Archived