Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles RB Buckhalter has season-ending surgery

cyrrok

For the third time in four seasons, and for a second straight year, Philadelphia Eagles tailback Correll Buckhalter has undergone season-ending knee surgery.

The fifth-year veteran, whose career could be ended by his latest injury, underwent surgery Tuesday to repair a torn right patella tendon. He had surgery on the same tendon last year after sustaining an injury in preseason. Early in camp, he re-injured the knee, and an examination Monday by noted Birmingham, Ala.-based orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews revealed the new tear.

Team officials last week conceded to ESPN.com that they were concerned about the latest injury and broadly hinted it could be season-ending. Andrews had recommended earlier that Buckhlalter receive treatment and rehabilitation on the knee for a week and then have it re-examined.

When the Eagles did not offer an update on Buckhalter's status Tuesday, after his visit with Andrews a day earlier, it was viewed as an ominous sign. An announcement of the surgery then came on Wednesday morning.

Losing Buckhalter for the third time in his five-year career leaves the Eagles thin again at tailback, where fourth-year veteran Brian Westbrook is the starter. Rookie Ryan Moats, a third-round draft choice who has performed well in camp and in the preseason, and third-year veteran Reno Mahe, mostly a special teams player, are the backups.

Beyond the depth concerns, the Eagles lack a big, physical tailback. Coaches had hoped that Buckhalter, a tough inside runner with good power, would provide that element. It is possible now that Philadelphia, which has been quietly considering its options given the potential loss of Buckhalter for the year, will sign a veteran free agent.

Veteran Dorsey Levens, who played well for the Eagles last year in a reserve role, could be among the players considered.

A fourth-round choice in the 2001 draft, Buckhalter rushed for 586 yards as a rookie. But the former Nebraska star tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee the following April during a mini-camp practice and missed the entire 2002 campaign. He returned for the '03 season and gained 542 yards, then suffered the patella tendon injury last summer.

Despite his recurring knee injuries, the club re-signed Buckhalter this spring when he was an unrestricted free agent, giving him a one-year, $550,000 contract.

In 30 games, including 11 starts, Buckhalter has carried 255 times for 1,128 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also has 23 receptions for 262 yards and one touchdown.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .

Hate to see it happen but it is the Eagles. This guy must have pissed the karma police off!!

I wonder if they regret going with Moats in the draft now instead of taking perhaps Jacobs or trying to make a move to get a guy like Eric Shelton. With Buckhalter out, they will again probably have to lean on Levens for short-yardage situations. Again they pay the price for their cheap and disloyal player management techniques. Moats was obviously drafted as a replacement for Westbrook, who they would low-ball and allow to go elsewhere.

I wonder if they regret going with Moats in the draft now instead of taking perhaps Jacobs or trying to make a move to get a guy like Eric Shelton. With Buckhalter out, they will again probably have to lean on Levens for short-yardage situations. Again they pay the price for their cheap and disloyal player management techniques. Moats was obviously drafted as a replacement for Westbrook, who they would low-ball and allow to go elsewhere.

Westbrook has been in negotiations with the Eagles for weeks, and a deal seems imminent according to a number of sources.

Lets not let facts get in the way of a good Eagles bashing session.

I think that means we better keep Nemo off the waiver wire. I got a feeling that if we put Rock on waivers, Philly will snap him up with the quickness!! (and I'ma HATE that!)

It wouldn't surprise me if they are closely watching what we do with Rock, as well as Dyson and McCants.

The Eagles are suffering because of injuries. I don't care how good you are, once your skill guys start going down, things don't go smoothly. The plus side to this injury is that Westbrook should have much deserved leverage in dealing with that cheap FO.

The Eagles are suffering because of injuries. I don't care how good you are, once your skill guys start going down, things don't go smoothly. The plus side to this injury is that Westbrook should have much deserved leverage in dealing with that cheap FO.

Skill guys meaning Buckhalter who didn't play a down of football last year, Jenkins, who didn't play a down of football last year, and Pinkston, who had 30 or so catches last year?

Yes, you are right, TR, the sky is falling in Philly? :laugh:

Archived