Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: McNabb calls on T.O.

bubba9497

McNabb calls on T.O.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/specials/preview/2005/08/22/mcnabb.to.ap/index.html

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Although he says he doesn't need to speak with Terrell Owens, Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb said he needs preseason playing time with his favorite target from last season.

Owens has yet to play this preseason. He missed the Eagles first game after being dismissed from the team for a week and sat out Saturday night's victory over the Ravens to rest his sore groin.

Owens returned to practice Monday afternoon and did not appear limited by the injury. The Eagles' next preseason game is Friday at home against Cincinnati.

"It's very important that we be able to get some work," McNabb said. "It's valuable time right now, what we're doing on the practice field. But once we get out on the playing field, we want to keep that same mentality -- what we've done in practice is the same thing we've done in a game."

Owens is in the second year of a seven-year contract worth nearly $49 million, and he has demanded that the team redo his deal. He and McNabb have sparred in the media, with Owens calling McNabb a "hypocrite" and with McNabb saying he doesn't need to talk to Owens to be successful on the field.

Owens, who has not addressed the media since returning to the team last week, suffered the groin injury early in camp and aggravated it Thursday.

"He obviously wants to play and would have played [saturday], but I didn't think it was a smart thing to do coming off his injury," coach Andy Reid said. "I think that it is good that he gets that timing down."

Meanwhile, the Eagles have now lost two wide receivers for the season because of injuries.

Todd Pinkston, expected to start with Owens, ruptured his Achilles tendon on Aug. 5. On Saturday against the Ravens, second-year pro Justin Jenkins tore his anterior cruciate ligament on the opening kickoff.

Reid said second-year pro Carlos Perez will replace Jenkins on the depth chart behind Owens, Greg Lewis, rookie Reggie Brown and Billy McMullen.

Perez leads the Eagles this preseason with seven receptions for 62 yards. After facing the Steelers backups in the preseason opener, Perez saw some time against the Ravens first-team defense on Saturday and finished with a team-high four catches for 36 yards.

"I made a few plays, and I think the coaches saw that I could play. I was kind of excited about that -- to be out there and have a good game against Baltimore," Perez said. "I've still got a few mistakes I want to eliminate."

One of those mistakes came in the third quarter, when Perez caught a pass at the Baltimore 3-yard line but fumbled it out of the end zone for a touchback.

"I put the ball on the ground at the end trying to make a play," Perez said. "You've just got to hold onto it when they tackle you and not worry about trying to make a big play and getting the extra yards." Notes: Running back Correll Buckhalter is in Birmingham, Ala., having his injured right knee examined by Dr. James Andrews. Buckhalter has not practiced since bruising the knee on Aug. 5. He missed all of last season after tearing a tendon in the same knee last preseason.

Archived