Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chargers threaten to suspend Gates if holdout continues

BIGGS_DADDY

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2137595&type=story

Chargers threaten to suspend Gates if holdout continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers told Antonio Gates Thursday that he will be suspended for three games, including the season opener against Dallas, if he doesn't end his holdout by Saturday afternoon.

In an attempt to break an impasse in negotiations for a multiyear deal, the Chargers sent Gates' agent, Andre Colona, a letter last Friday informing him of the ultimatum. If Gates isn't at camp by 12:30 p.m. Saturday, he will be suspended for the Chargers' final two exhibition games and the Sept. 11 home game against Dallas.

In order to avoid a suspension, the team told the All-Pro tight end that he will need to either sign a new multiyear deal or the $380,000, one-year contract he was tendered as an exclusive-rights free agent.

The two sides have been negotiating for a long-term deal since the middle of last season.

"We just can't agree on money and years," general manager A.J. Smith said Thursday. "We want to know where we're going."

Smith said the team is still open to negotiate, but it also needs to know if Gates is going to be part of the team."

Colona has not returned repeated calls seeking comment.

In just his second season, Gates had 13 touchdown catches to set the NFL single-season record for tight ends. He led the team with 81 catches for 964 yards.

"My philosophy is to pay our own players," Smith said. "We stepped out of the box midway through last season. We didn't want him to play for $380,000. We recognized his ability, but we didn't get anywhere. That's fine. Both parties have to agree. Unfortunately, we can't seem to get it going. Hopefully we will. Now, we all know exactly what we're up against."

If Gates' holdout lingers another week, he would then be suspended for the final exhibition game and two regular-season games. Once a suspension begins, it's irrevocable, Smith said.

"It's disappointing, but it's business," Smith said.

Smith refused to discuss specifics, but did say the team won't give Gates a deal equal to that of Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez.

"That's the position we've taken on that, and we're very comfortable with that," Smith said. "Gonzalez is an eight-year guy, a six-time Pro Bowler, a darn good player, where our guy is caught in the system of exclusive-rights free agency, $380,000, which we've stepped out of the box on. He's had one year of production, he's a one year Pro Bowler, and he's an extremely important part of our team.

"We're comfortable with what we're offering and we're willing to go more. It's not acceptable on the other side," Smith said.

The Chargers know Gates will at least report for the final six regular-season games in order to gain credit for this season and become a restricted free agent. He can then receive offers from other teams, which the Chargers would have the right to match.

Interesting.

Originally posted by Gfunk703

he needs to hurry the hell up and get into camp

I got Brees as the starting QB on a number of fantasy teams, and he needs Gates in order to put up the #s I'm expecting from him

That is why you don't draft this early.

(unless of course Brees is one of your keepers)

I'm sure this won't be a popular view, but hey, who says being right makes you popular?

A holdout properly speaking is when a player signed a contract of his own volition and then refuses to come into camp to play. I don't know when the term holdout started to be used for players who are unsigned, but it makes no sense to me.

Do I want a player on my team missing camp? Of course not. But if the player hasn't signed a contract, he's not in breach of contract. He's trying to get the best deal. He may end up hurting himself and the team, but he has not reneged on a deal.

Now the exclusive rights free agent (talk about an oxymoron) designation is a little tricky. San Diego is under no obligation to offer more, but they act like it's such a great deal for Gates to sign. Gates is trying to use what leverage he has and San Diego is responding by threatening to suspend him. I guess that's legal or the Player's Association would be raising holy heck.

So, I don't paint unsigned players as unmitigated villains, and I think Gates falls in between a true holdout (a guy with a valid contract he signed, but doesn't honor it), and an unsigned player who is a free agent.

i'm really getting sick of these strong-armed organizations unwilling to pay their overachieving players.

the NFL contract, excluding the signing bonus, is basically a one year renewable agreement. Gates established himself as one of the best young tight ends in the game, playing for only $380,000 this year is an insult.

Originally posted by Gfunk703

he needs to hurry the hell up and get into camp

I got Brees as the starting QB on a number of fantasy teams, and he needs Gates in order to put up the #s I'm expecting from him

I have Brees as well though I have Carson Palmer as a backup to fill the gaps just in case but I'm expecting Brees to have another good year and he needs Gates to do so IMO.

I wonder what the sticking point is, the chargers did the right thing by going to Gates first attempting to do a long term deal, but he needs to understand he had 1 good year either he can sign the 1 year tender and put up similiar #'s as last year and test the market next season...albeit restricted.

Gates needs to follow Hines Ward' example and get his arse in camp

Originally posted by redskns56

I have Brees as well though I have Carson Palmer as a backup to fill the gaps just in case but I'm expecting Brees to have another good year and he needs Gates to do so IMO.

I jsut think the other way around. I think Palmer will have a breakout year because he has all the weapons and another year under his belt. And my instinct keeps telling me that Brees is going to be a one-year wonder.

Rivers' time in San Diego will come by mid season.

Just my speculation...

Let's get back to the topic.

I know Gates deserves the money but, in the meantime, he needs to honor the contract he signed.

I hope this kind of situation will not happen to us and Cooley. If Cooley has a solid year this year, as we all expect, he's scheduled to make only $549K in '06 or after his contract is up in '07.

It's all about business...

Originally posted by Duke

Let's get back to the topic.

I know Gates deserves the money but, in the meantime, he needs to honor the contract he signed.

I hope this kind of situation will not happen to us and Cooley. If Cooley has a solid year this year, as we all expect, he's scheduled to make only $549K in '06 or after his contract is up in '07.

It's all about business...

buddy, gates is a free agent, he doesnt have a contract, thus he cant honor any contract since he hasnt signed one yet.

this is typical charger FO crap they try to constantly pull.

Archived