Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Know Who We Are Signing!

Zen-like Todd

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20020718wo51.htm

2 selected for NFL Osaka

Yomiuri Shimbun

Once again, linebacker Masafumi Kawaguchi will get a chance to wear the uniform of an NFL team. This time he hopes he won't have to give it back.

Kawaguchi and wide receiver Akihito Amaya were chosen from among Japan's top football players to join in the NFL clash between the San Francisco 49ers and Washington Redskins at Osaka Dome on Aug. 4.

The two players will sign 10-day contracts that allows them to participate in practice sessions and the exhibition game.

Kawaguchi will join the 49ers and Amaya the Redskins. Both players have experience at the pro level in NFL Europe.

His appearance in NFL Osaka will mark the third time Kawaguchi has been selected to participate in an NFL team's trip to Japan. He previously was a "part-time" member of the Green Bay Packers in 1998 and Dallas Cowboys in 2000.

But the 1.78-meter, 102-kilogram Kawaguchi doesn't want to be seen as a token Japanese player. His dream is to play in the NFL and hopes to make an impression with the 49ers.

"I've always said I want to go to the NFL," Kawaguchi said Wednesday.

Kawaguchi, a member of Japan X-League champion Asahi Soft Drinks and a six-time veteran of NFL Europe, played most of the fourth quarter in the Cowboys' 20-9 loss to the Atlanta Falcons in Tokyo.

Amaya, who plays for IBM in the X-League, has played two seasons in NFL Europe is one of only two Japanese to have scored a touchdown in the league.

"I don't want to be treated (by the Redskins) like a guest," Amaya said.

The game will be the first NFL game held in Osaka. The previous 10 editions in Japan were played at Tokyo Dome.

Come on, I mean, this has got to be the most obscure news article to ever be posted on extremeskins. Where are my props?

Kawaguchi, a member of Japan X-League champion Asahi Soft Drinks and a six-time veteran of NFL Europe, played most of the fourth quarter in the Cowboys' 20-9 loss to the Atlanta Falcons in Tokyo.

The 'Asashi Soft Drinks'? Yikes.

What happened to that guy the Boys brought in last year? I think he was Greek, (or at least somewhere mediteranian), national champion Greco-Roman wrestler, two-time olympic gold winner.

Seemed at least interesting.

Archived