Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phil Sims: Random thoughts to Start the season

VaBeachSkinzFan

I did a seasrch but I didn't see this already posted.

From NFL.COM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8720600

Random thoughts to start the season

By Phil Simms

Special to NFL.com

(Aug. 9, 2005) -- The first question anyone asks me when I appear on a radio show is, of course, "Who's going to the Super Bowl?" Oh, sure, good question. Here's your answer …

Gotcha. Sorry, I'm just not going to get into that. Can we get a week of training camp in first?

Actually, anyone who's read this column in years past knows that I'm not big into the prediction business, no matter how many weeks of training camp take place. I suppose I can go on record with a different pick in every preseason publication out there -- that way I'm guaranteed to be right at some point.

No, you won't get a Super Bowl pick here. What you will get are some random thoughts as the preseason gets under way in earnest:

I picked up about 10 preseason football magazines, and it says the exact same thing for every single team, in every single magazine: "Well, it all depends on the play of the quarterback."

Okay, well, thanks for that insight. That really says it all. So if the team is bad and the quarterback doesn't play well, it's his fault, right? When will these people learn?

I love the other question that everybody asks -- the one about pressure: "Can this guy handle the pressure?" I don't know about this pressure, and thank God I didn't know about it when I was playing, or I might have choked all the time. The term is overused and over-talked about and greatly exaggerated. We're talking about football, a reactionary sport where everything happens so fast. You can hardly think about the situation you're in, much less the pressure.

I don't think quarterbacks feel the pressure, and I don't think they think about it a whole lot, either. Placekickers are a different story. They get to stand there and look at the ball, build up a little tension if it's in them. It's a little like having a big putt in golf. I think for the rest of the players, though, it's so reactionary. This has always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Give me a player with talent, put him in a good situation, and he's going to come through. Then we can all talk about what a great pressure player he is.

Now that the Patriots have won three Super Bowls in four years, it seems as if everybody would like to move on. People always want something new in society and they can't wait for the next big thing. People aren't writing off the Patriots, but everybody thinks the loss of Tedy Bruschi, Ted Johnson and both coordinators will spell their demise. I just don't look at that as a huge obstacle the Patriots can't overcome. All athletes and all teams are looking for that motivation, where they say, "We don't get enough respect." So if people are saying a team that's won three Super Bowls in the last four years won't win again this season, I look at it as playing right into their hands.

I'm curious to see how the Washington Redskins progress. They might have a championship defense. Can they blend the offense into that? The offense just needs to be more productive and less destructive to the total makeup of the team. Now the NFL will get to see what Washington can do with Patrick Ramsey under center all year.

I'm also curious to see if the Carolina Panthers bounce back after an injury-riddled season. I know injuries are part of the game, but they lost key players right and left last year. When healthy, this team went to the Super Bowl two years ago.

Minnesota will be an interesting team to watch. Randy Moss is gone, and the Vikings brought in some good players in the draft. Daunte Culpepper is in the prime of his career for the next 6-8 years. The window of opportunity for that team is now. Can they make everything fall into place? You've got to be fortunate to win Super Bowls, but you've got to at least advance to the playoffs to put yourself in position. The time is now for Minnesota.

:thumbsup: That was a good read from Simms.

The Quarterback is THE most important position on the field.

and one thing is for certain, every year there are always a few teams that nobody picks to be in the playoffs that make it.

I like Phil say what you want, but he does "get it".

Everything about Ramsey this and that doesnt matter, if this guy just make a little improvement the team will be hard to beat.

Ramsey is such a small part to me of the whole offense.

He doesnt have to be perfect or even close to it, just make

smart decisions and use all the players they have given him.

Just about every QB that has taken the skins anywhere has all but faded into oblivion (sp), they were noone special.

I can't stand the sight of him (goes back to his fist-pumping days as a Giant), but Simms just broke down some serious realities about the NFL. I feel bouyed that he is intrigued about our chances this year. It really means a lot more coming from a long time player than some fat guy who works for ESPN.

I was amazed when I first read the article at what a good read it was. I really didn't expect much coming from Phil Simms but he proved me wrong. Hopefully Ramsey and the offense as a whole can be a little more productive and a little less destructive and we can win a few more ball games this year.

Archived