Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roy Williams will start for the Cowboys

There's a 4-minute Roy Williams highlight video you can download in Windows Media format (zipped ASF file). The zip file is 16.6 MB.

http://www.oukingpen.com/audio_video.html

Under "Video: Sooner Football Videos" click on "Roy Williams (#38) for Heisman (2001)".

Can anyone look at this video and say that Williams will not have a major impact on the NFL? He can do it all -- cover, interceptions, blocked/deflected passes, tackles/sacks behind the line of scrimmage, TD run-backs, goal line leaps creating QB fumbles. It's stunning that this highlight reel came from one short college season.

"Two thirds of the earth is covered by water.... The rest is covered by Roy Williams." -- title quote from video

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

There's a 4-minute Roy Williams highlight video you can download in Windows Media format (zipped ASF file). The zip file is 16.6 MB.

http://www.oukingpen.com/audio_video.html

Under "Video: Sooner Football Videos" click on "Roy Williams (#38) for Heisman (2001)".

Can anyone look at this video and say that Williams will not have a major impact on the NFL? He can do it all -- cover, interceptions, blocked/deflected passes, tackles/sacks behind the line of scrimmage, TD run-backs, goal line leaps creating QB fumbles. It's stunning that this highlight reel came from one short college season.

"Two thirds of the earth is covered by water.... The rest is covered by Roy Williams." -- title quote from video

Oh yes, Remember Marvin Lewis (Redskins Defensive Co-ordinators quote):

"Give me Roy Williams and we can play with 9 guys on defense."

Now that is a ringing endorsement!!!

Roy Williams won the Nagurski as the nation's top defender.

Roy Williams won the Thorpe as the nation's top defensive back.

Roy Williams finished 7th in Heisman voting.

Yet, it's questionable as to whether or not he was the best defensive player in the draft?

Admittedly, winning awards is not the tell-tale sign for success in the NFL. However, couple these awards with the comments made by NFL scouts, experts, and writers -- that Willams was the best defensive player in the draft -- and I think we may be onto something.

As QCard referred to above, Marvin Lewis stated he'd play with 9 guys on defense if Snyder got him Williams in the draft. You don't make a comment like that just about a typical safety.

The typical, unspoken rule is that you don't take a safety that high. However, this a rule with an obvious exception. An exception being name Roy Williams.

Bufford, you stated you thought Williams could last 'til around pick 11 had we not taken him. Are you suggesting we should have taken someone other than Williams? If so, who? Or are you suggesting we should have done everything in our power to get Jammer?

Had we gotten Jammer, it would have been in a trade with the Lions more than likely. At the least, this would have meant trading #6 along with a 2nd round pick. This would have meant we would have had no 3rd rounder from the Roy Williams trade (meaning no Derek Ross), and likely no Andre Gurode (the 2nd round pick that would have been sent to the Lions).

Additionally, we may not have been able to pull off the trade to position ourselves for Antonio Bryant.

I'll take Williams, and the way we maneuvered down to get him, than overpaying for Jammer.

Remember, prior to Jammer's fast 40-yard time, it was debateable as to whether he was even worthy of being taken with the 'Boys 6th pick. There was a heavy debate on 'Boys boards about him being a reach there had we taken him (his doubters questioned his competition in college and his game-speed).

Of course, the 40-time he posted guaranteed him as the 5th pick.

Roy, like any draft pick, now must prove it at this level. But I think it's a silly argument to undertake to start doubting his impact on a game and overall importance for a team.

I'm suggesting with a pick that high you either trade down if you only wanted DB help or you take the best athlete available in the top 10 left. OL or DL would of been a boost also, maybe even more so. I just think that no matter how good a Safety is (unless you KNOW 100% he's going to be pro-bowl from the start), you go with the best athlete.

No one is doubting the impact Williams will make. The debate is about which position is more important S or CB. I feel that all you have to do is look at the $$$ that the top CB's make and it probably doubles what the top safeties make.

Also, teams will try to get Safeties to slim down and become corners if they can cover well enough. The only time you hear about CB's becoming S's is when they lose a step.

I think Williams was the right call even if Jammer is there. I just feel that Roy boy will be the top safety in football and Jammer will always be stuck in that top 8-10.

While all these Dallas experts that want to chime in on who Dallas really wanted, Roy Williams was interviewed almost 9 days prior to the draft and his comment was Jones told him Dallas was going to draft him. THis was on Dallas radio.

Now while this will not change the minds of the "experts" that root for Washington but know every nuance of Dallas better than the fans of Dallas, it is a fact.

I heard the damn thing myself and was wondering how it could be that we would pass on Jammer if he were truly there.

GM's a lie to players, but on the draft day radio prior to the San Diego pick, it was reproted on The Ticket that Jones had dispatched his plane to pick up Roy and his family.

Now get that, prior to the San Diego pick.

No one here knows for sure.

But from the live reports on Dallas radio, it sure looks like Roy was their choice all along.

And they ended up with Williams which backhandedly confirms the reports.

2 deep

I forgot that you hear nothing but the truth in the days leading up to the draft!!! :notworthy

Sure would make a lot of sense to admit to the whole world that Roy Williams is your guy and risk someone else trading up over you.

I remember the 2000 draft. Pittsburgh (picking #8) was in constant contact with Chad Pennington in the days leading up to the draft saying "you're our guy if you fall...you're our guy." They were saying it right up until the point that they selected Plaxico Burress. :jerkoff:

The problem with this thread is uniformly, I think, we've been highly complimentary of Williams as a player. Certainly if the Redskins were in position to take him, I'd have been thrilled. Similarly, if the Redskins were in position to take Williams or Jammer, I would have backed the selection of Williams because we have corners and we have questions at safety and here is precisely why had Dallas had the choice between the two, they'd have taken Jammer.

Dallas has no corners and they have, still, solid safeties. Clearly the situation didn't exist to put Dallas to the test and largely they likely made planning decisions on the premise that Jammer would be gone before them and Williams, likely, would still be there. But it is completely reasonable to point out that we can have the highest respect for Williams in the world and still know, as deep down you do, that Jammer would have been the unquestioned pick by Dallas had he slipped. It would not even have been close.

However, Dallas would have probably still slid down in the draft and given Jammer to a team even more in need and hungry for Jammer, so, ultimately, it may have played out the same way. It's a fairly nonsensical debate though since no one is bad mouthing Williams. It's just pretty clear where Dallas has greater need and Jammer would have been the pick had Dallas had the option of both.

Archived